GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've run into a couple situations where I'm not getting ambient air when running my climate control (hot air coming out), and I've got a theory.

- it only happens after the car's been sitting out after driving, or if I've been driving for awhile
- it only happens if I've run the A/C recently

I think...the A/C drainage is clogged. Pretty sure it is in my car, no puddles of water under the car after heavy A/C use. So with water sitting in whatever collector tank that is, with heat soak that water can get quite warm. Then, as we turn on the climate control and just pull in ambient air, it's warmed by this hot water.

How's that for a theory?? :)

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need to refill the aircon gas.
this is getting warm air with the A/C OFF, when ambient is like 20 degrees but the vents are blowing warm air.

My car, despite your assessment that it needs aircon gas, seems to have no problem turning the interior into Arctic cold...when I turn the A/C switch ON.

There was a thread a month ago about people, particularly R33 owners, who, when trying to get ambient non-A/C air into the cabin, were getting very warm air, despite the outside air being cool or even a bit chilly. Has nothing to do with the A/C system directly, but with the water it generates - that's my theory and the point of this thread.

Turns out that the A/C works perfectly in my car. I press the button, and within a minute, it's icy cold air. Imagine that.

·
Registered
9,654 Posts
If your talking about your R32 then it sounds like what's described in this thread :

www.gtr.co.uk/forum/111785-help-please-my-heater-system-r32gtr.html

Basically its this part that has gone :

Mine went in May & I had a month of driving around with the windows down as it pumped nothing but hot air into the cabin. I have now by hand moved the lever shown below :

which controls the air mixer so I set it to maximum cold which now means my journeys are far more bearable!
Hope that helps :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've already modded mine - the servo doesn't work, nor does the replacement I bought. So I have the lever wedged into place, and have found I only really need to adjust it 2-3 times a year, as I tend to open the windows as needed (except during summer)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
another theory...........

1.) the Skylines have NO air inlet from outside. Fact.
2.) the heater matrix is always on. Fact
3.) On such old cars, the seals on the flaps that stop air going through the heater matrix, are probably worn out, allowing a small amount of air through the heater, hence hot air even on the coldest setting.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
then what's that intake vent under the driver's side wiper on an R32?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
then what's that intake vent under the driver's side wiper on an R32?
There are no holes in the firewall or wiper compartment for any sort of outside vent intake, despite a grille under the wipers that would suggest otherwise.

Most other cars have a feed from the wiper box to the air vent system, but not the Skyline.:eek:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts