GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

When the weather is really hot (air temp of 30°C or more), I've noticed that my water temp tends to go above 90°C when sitting in trafic, at idle.

When cruising or pushing the car quite hard, I have no problem at all: water temps goes from 80 to 90°C, no more.

But when I'm caught in congestions, the temp slowly goes up...

Am I the only one to see that? (my water temp figure is rather accurate as I read it on a defi gauge, not on the std instrument)

BTW, I have N1 water pump and Koyo alloy rad, idle is set @ 900-950rpm with aircon switched on.

Oh, and the electric fan in front of the rad is working.

Should I go for a bigger electric fan? Or could it be my viscous fan?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
mine done this last week, it got to 100c and i turned it off and waited for traffic to move.

I have same setup as you. I have been and purchased a new viscous fan. I will keep you posted next time we have some sun and see if its that at fault.

If its not the viscous it could be the thermostate not opening properly that i will be changing aswell in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, very interesting. I'll read your posts.

I'll have a look at my front fan and keep you in touch too.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Electric fan, you mean the air con fan?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Is the fuse ok?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, aircon fan working. (unless there is two different speed, which I have not checked yet)

·
Registered
411 Posts
is the engine fan (not the electric aircon fan) driven by a fan clutch? if so when that clutch goes bad the fan just spins on low speed.

i had the same prob on my M3 and it was fine for about a year but when summertime kicked in my temps went up aswell.

not sure how i checked it, i think i put a rolled up newspaper against it and i was able to stop it with no effort whatsoever.

edit: yep its got a clutch, if your cooling system is bled and in good condition, 99% sure thats your problem. when the car is cold in the morining, can you spin it freely by hand or does it have some resistance (with the motor off of course)

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
The N1 water pump is geared for higher rpms, so it may not work as well at lower rpms.
But it shouldn't make to much of a difference. 80 degrees in hot weather with the air conditioning on isn't too bad, but you may need to turn off the car if you are sitting in hot traffic for an extended periods of time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The N1 water pump is geared for higher rpms, so it may not work as well at lower rpms.
But it shouldn't make to much of a difference. 80 degrees in hot weather with the air conditioning on isn't too bad, but you may need to turn off the car if you are sitting in hot traffic for an extended periods of time.

Really? It sounds ok for you to have water temp going above 90°C when sitting in traffic? :confused:
I'm quite surprised but if you say so, why not.
I'll probably replace my aircon fan by a bigger Spal fan. It would solve the problem.
But I'll wait Mattysupra's feedback on viscous fan first.

·
Registered
8,804 Posts
the RB26 runs very hot, and Skylines are like sharks - they have to move, gulping air, to breathe and survive. It can be scorching hot but I can boost the car willy nilly and due to the speeds I'm moving at, no temp problems at all (Trust oil cooler, Trust twincore aluminum radiator). But traffic is a bitch. I hit a nasty traffic jam last night at 11pm, about 23 degrees outside, and I hit 90 water and 95 oil, until I shut down the A/C (which adds heat to the engine bay. I popped the hood to crack it open and let more hot air escape. Wish I had louvers I could open and close. But just 3km of open road driving brought all my temps down to normal.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
1 - 20 of 27 Posts