GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys

Just wondering,

What kind of oil temps, trans temps should the car be at before you give it some boost.

Also in terms of cooling down what kind of temperature do you try to aim at, i did read in the owners manual that it said drive for 2-3 miles at 30-60mph or something along them lines, this is fine but you cant always do a 2-3 mile trip to home at consistent speed, so am just wondering what temperature is the max before turning the car off

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I'm possibly a little cautious but I do the following on warm-up:

- Put the car in Manual
- Drive off boost and at no more than 2.5k revs per gear until the engine oil temp is up to 60 degrees C, then
- Drive off boost and at no more than 3k revs per gear until the engine oil temp is up to 70 degrees C
- I don't switch the VDC to R (my way of confirming all is up to temp ;)) and give it the beans until the engine oil temp is 70 degrees C AND the transmission oil temp is 60 degrees C (often happens about the same time I find)

Others put the car in auto initially but I find that it tends to change gear at too low revs (takes longer to warm). I also believe that some others give it the beans from 60 degrees C. It's personal preference to some degree, as long as you look after it (though the ECU will prevent damage when cold anyway).

I find that 60 degrees C engine oil temp in the Evo (when that gets the beans) takes about the same time or slightly longer than the GTR takes to get to 70 degrees C.

To cool down, I put the car in Auto and try to drive at 2k revs or lower for 5 miles / 5 mins, depending on road conditions. As long as you're movng, you'll get some cooling airflow through the engine bay ...

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im the same as you mate, i prefer to be more cautious than anything.

So basically 70c in terms of engine oil temp you would say is around the ideal temp before you give it some?

Now the cool down is the problem, because sometimes even if i drive slowly back or if there is a lot of traffic the actual engine temp doesnt really come down a lot, so what would you say is the IDEAL temp the engine oil should be at before turning the car off?

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
When you run the car down you are not doing it to cool the engine persay, you are dong it to aid the cooling of the oil slightly but mainly to cool the turbos so they don't cook the oil when you turn the engine off and oil pump stops.

It's a nice to do but not a neccesity anymore as oils have come on a long way and we don't have the same issues that we used to have with minerals etc in the oil.

The most important part is the warm up and should never be ignored.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Problem is im a bit anal about warming up and cooling down, always have been, so in regards to cooling down, the actual engine temp doesnt matter that much as long as its been driven nicely ie off boost for a few miles or 5-10 mins on the way back to its home.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
that is correct, it lets the turbo's cool.

As said the warming up is the more important part and is good to e anal about..... proper mechanical sympathy!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha yeah, warming up ive been doing for years on various cars so that i always make sure is perfect, was just the cooling down process i was concerned about

·
Premium Member
8,835 Posts
I'm possibly a little cautious but I do the following on warm-up:

- Put the car in Manual
- Drive off boost and at no more than 2.5k revs per gear until the engine oil temp is up to 60 degrees C, then
- Drive off boost and at no more than 3k revs per gear until the engine oil temp is up to 70 degrees C
- I don't switch the VDC to R (my way of confirming all is up to temp ;)) and give it the beans until the engine oil temp is 70 degrees C AND the transmission oil temp is 60 degrees C (often happens about the same time I find)

Others put the car in auto initially but I find that it tends to change gear at too low revs (takes longer to warm). I also believe that some others give it the beans from 60 degrees C. It's personal preference to some degree, as long as you look after it (though the ECU will prevent damage when cold anyway).

I find that 60 degrees C engine oil temp in the Evo (when that gets the beans) takes about the same time or slightly longer than the GTR takes to get to 70 degrees C.

To cool down, I put the car in Auto and try to drive at 2k revs or lower for 5 miles / 5 mins, depending on road conditions. As long as you're movng, you'll get some cooling airflow through the engine bay ...
What he says or DO A SEARCH !!!:flame:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Haha yeah, warming up ive been doing for years on various cars so that i always make sure is perfect, was just the cooling down process i was concerned about
I might be paranoid but if the water temp is 90C or above when I'm putting it back in the garage I open the bonnet to prevent heat soak and help cool down.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Mizuno San was asked this question, and his reply was 70C, ie. as soon as the oil temp is on the gauge, for warm up.

Warm through, not just up. When is it warmed through? When the engine, and tranny temps are above 70C, and are at or about the same temp. The coolant heats the trans oil.

All I do is stay off boost until warmed through. There's no need for over thinking it. The metallurgists and engine designers have done that already.

Not sure, but popping the bonnet on a red hot engine could do more harm than good. What with differential materials heat expansion, I'd prefer it to cool as slowly as possible. Being hot isn't the enemy it used to be, with synth oils changed every 2 minutes :)

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Cool down - I guess this is from track temps, so 90 should be at the top of normal.
The main issue to my mind is letting the turbo spool down - these spin at 80-100k rpm so full boost and then engine off is where the real issue is.

In summary - just be sensible.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
Look it from another way..... If a car like a gtr with all of its trickery and gadgets required more than a tiny bit o common sense to look after it at shutdown it would have come with a turbo timer, oil over run pump and aux fan setting.

As GoTR says..... Be sensible an use a smidge of common sense to apply mechanical
Sympathy

·
Registered
302 Posts
Cool down - I guess this is from track temps, so 90 should be at the top of normal.
The main issue to my mind is letting the turbo spool down - these spin at 80-100k rpm so full boost and then engine off is where the real issue is.

In summary - just be sensible.
Spool down!! do you mean cool down is not a jet engine lol

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Spool down!! do you mean cool down is not a jet engine lol
No I chose spool down deliberately - the turbo spins at upto 100,000 rpm

Jet engines under load do about 12k rpm!

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
How lo g do you think not takes a turbo to spool down dude?? Lol

It will only spin as fast a the gas through the exhaust is pushing it this if it is off boost and the engine isn't under heavy load at low rpm then it will be spinnin a slow as its gonna spin short of being off ;)

Should have stuck with cool Down ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts