GTR Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,704 Posts
I would agree that starting it up cold and then red lining the thing up the road would be a terrible idea (although my daily driver doesn't seem to mind it to much lol) - what we're talking about here is driving the car with very low load at low revs to get the car upto temperature.

It's all about small throttle inputs and gently warming the car. This in turn also warms diffs / brakes and turbos whereas idling just really heats the block.

It also takes longer to heat up, meaning the time where the car is cold is extended.

My car is garaged so I tend to get in, start it up and reverse it out. It then sits for 30 secs to 1 minute whilst I shut the garage door and sort my sat nav / music out. Then I drive nice and carefully out of the village for a mile or so and hit a duel carriageway where I follow my above steps - meaning I can just about drive with traffic and don't exceed the 3k rpm limit.

My car isn't what I would consider warm for about 10 miles and only then start adding in some boost and building revs.

Engine load is what will kill a cold engine and that is directly related to throttle opening which you have full control over.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Great now I am just confused! Should I start a poll between idleing for a few mins or driving at low revs straight away?
This is my second GTR and I’ve owned other superscars. I just let them idle for 2-3 mins on a cold start then drive under 3k RPM until they warm up. They’ve never blew up on me ?.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Even idling everything is being warmed up but I agree that a max of 2-3 mins is doing no harm, everything gets on temp quicker when driven sensibly from cold.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
The bottom line seems to be that idling rich for long periods when stone cold increases the chances of cylinder/bore wash, and contaminating the oil.

Most mechanics I've chatted to say get in and drive it gently until oils are up to temp.

I guess in reality idling from cold for up to a minute is normal, but idling stone cold for 5 minutes or more would have me cringing in my boots.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Personally I think it doesnt overly matter.

Had anyone here, ever, heard of someones engine going pop because it was idling on the drive too long?

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Ermmmm your not really getting the point of not idling, the damage idling could cause and how that damage manifests itself.

But each to their own.

A few minutes of idling isn't going to be "damaging" anything in a way that would ever be apparent unless some other aggravating factor was in play.

People making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
A few minutes of idling isn't going to be "damaging" anything in a way that would ever be apparent unless some other aggravating factor was in play.

People making a mountain out of a molehill on this one.
I think it probably wouldn't manifest itself until probably 60k miles or more.

But running rich when cold for long periods, especially on an older more worn engine will surely contribute to cylinder/bore wash, more so than simply driving off and warming the car in half the time.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Guys im interested in why you think it will be running rich when its idling, mine is only on a fast idle for a few seconds then comes down to a normal idle, its not going to 'bore wash' unless you have badly tuned ID 2000 injectors, the wear on start up is not bore wash its that split second it starts that causes wear. If you want to minimise wear leave it running, theres an engine been running over 100 years on idle never been switched off !!!!:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Maybe we need some R35 GT-R PRO tuner input on this, acspeedtech/litchfields etc.. instead of speculation.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Guys im interested in why you think it will be running rich when its idling, mine is only on a fast idle for a few seconds then comes down to a normal idle, its not going to 'bore wash' unless you have badly tuned ID 2000 injectors, the wear on start up is not bore wash its that split second it starts that causes wear. If you want to minimise wear leave it running, theres an engine been running over 100 years on idle never been switched off !!!!:rolleyes:
Agreed - With my Cobb accessport running on start up the car runs 14.7 AfR which is not rich at all

·
Registered
596 Posts
So now a for sale ad has to read serviced to the millisecond, on the minute of registration, preferably under a full moon.
Brand new brakes and tyres. Not even used, the car has to be transported back to your home.
Never used in race modes incase of premature wear. Also never in save mode unless temps are precisely 70.99999°. and not in auto (but don't touch the paddles, you'll wear the coating!!)
And also only ever idled stationery for no more than 82.4 seconds. On a 0° incline. Although I did park on a stone once, would that make all the oil run to one side of the engine??

Good job we're not paranoid folks!!

;)

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
So now a for sale ad has to read serviced to the millisecond, on the minute of registration, preferably under a full moon.
Brand new brakes and tyres. Not even used, the car has to be transported back to your home.
Never used in race modes incase of premature wear. Also never in save mode unless temps are precisely 70.99999°. and not in auto (but don't touch the paddles, you'll wear the coating!!)
And also only ever idled stationery for no more than 82.4 seconds. On a 0° incline. Although I did park on a stone once, would that make all the oil run to one side of the engine??
;)
and don't forget.. NEVER been over 70mph! Ohhh and the usual.... NEVER been launched! :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
;)
Everybody that owns a jap performance car is paranoid.... paranoid someone is going to rob it, park next to it, that it's going to break....... endless paranoia lol
Well my engine's blown up and my gearbox has grenaded TWICE... Maybe I'm just idling it too long??... :chuckle::chuckle:

Now i bet that's got some foooookers paranoid and sweating! :chairshot :chuckle::runaway:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
I've said before

I've never launched in 9000 miles of owning

Or used manual

Or r mode or over 90

:)
and THATS why YOU find the R35 boring! ;)

21 - 40 of 65 Posts