GTR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Had the shock of my life today, after driving the GTR for the first time in Anger at Cadwell in the morning session (3 outings). Suffered vibration towards the end of the 3rd outing and put it down to Tyre Pickup, so had a bite to eat and headed to Louth to locate a tyre house. After a little searching on an industrial estate, pulled out of a side street and looked what happened:-

ON closer inspection, it appeared the spacer had failed, at 4 of the 5 points:-

In next photo, wheel is still attached:-

Held on by 1 stud!

Its good job we were pulling out of a junction and not back on track when it fully failed, could have lead to a rather nasty accident.

The spacer looks like it has been cast from recycled coke cans, any one know this brand?:-

More pics to follow tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Luck escape buddy.

For me, wheel spacers are just for show on the street and I'd never have them on my car if I was going anywhere near a track.

If you look at how they work, the metal is so thin where it's needed most, i.e. around the bolts.

Very glad you and the car are pretty much okay.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
There is almost no material where the spacer bolts on, This is one of the reasons it's generally a bad idea to use them. Did you fit them yourself ? can you get in touch with the company that made them ? also, what is on the wing ?

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
Made from Aluminium, known for its softness and poor strength in thin sections.

Honestly cannot understand why anyone would put their life in their hands with these.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Surely quality branded spacers made for GTR must be designed nd tested to withstand normal cornering forces. If not then they should never ever be sold.

BTW what thickness are they as I guess the thinner they are the less material where it counts.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Lucky escape indeed.

Agree with charles, these should not be near your car. Especially on a track day.

Why on Earth would anyone make spacers from ali!?!

Glad you are OK though. Could hsve been nasty if it failed on track, as you say.

·
Premium Member
7,632 Posts
He was on track which is not normal cornering forces to be fair.

IMHO simple heat induced fatigue.

On track the amount of heat generated by the front brakes on an R35 is phenomenal. Add in repetitive cornering forces and aluminium is not going to last long.

Even for spirited road driving I'd worry for these spacers.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I would never use spacers on a car like this tbh when considering the forces that are being applied to those threads and surrounding materials. I've looked at a number of these spacers and many used cut threads and casts which I couldn't believe tbh and IMO shows a lack of R&D into the product and application.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Luck escape buddy.

For me, wheel spacers are just for show on the street and I'd never have them on my car if I was going anywhere near a track.

If you look at how they work, the metal is so thin where it's needed most, i.e. around the bolts.

Very glad you and the car are pretty much okay.
This!! Driving a heavy,powerfull car like a GTR on track with wheel spacers fitted is just asking for trouble.

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
I think people are being a little over critical of aluminium as a material, maybe worth remembering that the aerospace industry have had reasonable results with it for a while now:chuckle: The issue is that it is an extremely poorly engineered product in an incorrect application. Don't forget that the calipers and bells are aluminium as are a lot of the suspension components on the R35. The only way thin spacers can be used succesfully is if they are the bolt through type used with longer studs. Not ideal but I doubt this would've happened with them.

To the OP, I'm just glad your car didn't suffer any more than this and you're OK.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Bloody hell that is shocking. Luckily your car seems fine

Just ordered spacers myself but my car is strictly street so fingers crossed.

·
547 Posts
Another great product by them...
Bought an r33 hicas delete kit in a group buy on another forum, bushes were so poor quality they had lots of play after only 6mths of normal road use...

·
Registered
163 Posts
6082 billet Ali according to the website. May be a fitment issue, over tightened or excess heat, anything really. Obviously it's not good they failed but more investigation needed with a comment from the company I think.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Does this highlight the risks of parts being designed / manufactured with no certification required to prove they are fit for purpose? You're very lucky the car wasn't written off and yourself damaged.

Anders

1 - 20 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.