GTR Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 91 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
My car is really low and the wheels sit so much better in the arches with the spacers on! Your right tho it's not a major difference. I already have the H&r bolt on type fitted, just not really happy with that set up after looking at these pics! Maybe im just being over cautious. Can't find the longer bolt type for sale anywhere anyway!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
i use spacers on my r32gtr when i track it, as i have one set of track wheels which i also use on my r33gtst.
the rear wheels i use are 9.5x17 et 35...perfect for the GTST
when used on my GTR, i use 20mm spacers, therfore changing wheel effectively to 9'5x17 et15 perfect for the GTR.

nowt to do with stance etc.

just one set of wheels do 2 cars.
Sounds like it's just a cost saving way of using track wheels between 2 different cars.

It doesn't change the fact that you now have more unsprung weight, and the mass of the wheels and tyres being positioned further away from the suspension arms making more work and energy for the suspension to deal with, especially on the track.

Yer pay your monies and make your choice at the end of the day.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Sounds like it's just a cost saving way of using track wheels between 2 different cars.

It doesn't change the fact that you now have more unsprung weight, and the mass of the wheels and tyres being positioned further away from the suspension arms making more work and energy for the suspension to deal with, especially on the track.

Yer pay your monies and make your choice at the end of the day.
i'm not talking about using standard wheels and puting spacers on just to push the whole wheel out, so yes your correct in what you say,...
i'm talking about putting on wider wheels...and using spacers to adjust the offset,..so the inside of the wheel is back in the same position, or nearer to your shocker.
the wheels i have can be bought in et15 or et35, the et35's just have more shaved off the inside of the hub..the 20mm spacer i use is supplied and made by the wheel manufacturer and just replaces what was machined off originally.
as said before, correct wheels with correct spacers and knowing your cars suspension geometry,the use of spacers is fine.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Awful spacer design in those pics.....using shaved down nuts to fit within 15mm spacer width is unbelievable. You can see how the edges have been rounded on the nut as the socket stopped in the cone, only just in contact with the last few mm of the nut.It is clear there is just not enough 'meat' in the critical bolt areas in a 15mm spacer.................these spacers don't belong on a street driven Micra never mind a GTR

As for saying track use is what did it.....critical car components (that would include wheel mounts) are supposed to have a safety factor built into them....and secondly, you could load the wheel up on a roundabout on the A5 just as easily as at Shwantz curves. So thinking street use is fine is an error.

If made in China, China don't have the full range of aluminium grades we have in Europe, so likely a Chinese equivalent (which is often nothing like....) grade.

How many of you use aluminium wheel nuts I wonder?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Looks nasty that Alex, Could have been a lot worst and looks like you'll be needing new disc as i can see a crack in one of the photos. Hope your happy with the new car apart from the spacer accident and just to let you know i sold my car over the net. As you know I'm away, But the person has bought it without seeing it, But i said if he need to know anything he can get in touch with you as you have had a good look at it . Hope this is ok with you. Cheers Gaz.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Awful spacer design in those pics.....using shaved down nuts to fit within 15mm spacer width is unbelievable. You can see how the edges have been rounded on the nut as the socket stopped in the cone, only just in contact with the last few mm of the nut.It is clear there is just not enough 'meat' in the critical bolt areas in a 15mm spacer.................these spacers don't belong on a street driven Micra never mind a GTR

As for saying track use is what did it.....critical car components (that would include wheel mounts) are supposed to have a safety factor built into them....and secondly, you could load the wheel up on a roundabout on the A5 just as easily as at Shwantz curves. So thinking street use is fine is an error.

If made in China, China don't have the full range of aluminium grades we have in Europe, so likely a Chinese equivalent (which is often nothing like....) grade.

How many of you use aluminium wheel nuts I wonder?
The bolts didn't fail, they're probably steel anyway so not really the issue.

Oh and my wheel nuts are made of a type of aluminium...

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Couldn't agree more, should be fit for "ANY" purpose, track or not.

Gary, I'm away at the mo also buddy, but if your buyer wants to get in touch by mail, happy to give him heads up.

Al

·
Super Moderator
31,349 Posts
GUys,
I am leaving this thread in place but locking it.

Firstly, Superforma do not list a spacer kit for the R35. Numerous online stores DO list them and Superforma are in the process of advising their distributors that they do not make a kit suitable for the R35.

With regards over tightening or damage etc, this is an extremely grey area as Alex had neither bought, not fitted the spacers, so cannot faithfully comment on the circumstances in which they were supplied and fitted.

Superforma have not been able to inspect the spacers.

So, the message is is thus. Unless a manufacturer specifically states they are R35 specific, assume they are not. Ensure they are fitted by a competent mechanic who will warranty their work. If you have Superforma spacers fitted to your R35, Remove them immediately. If you are unsure, contact your supplier or Superformer themselves.

Do not fit spacers unless you have to.

I hope you understand

Mook

81 - 91 of 91 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.