GTR Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Does anyone else remember the gtr that caught on fire when the guy was taking his shopping out the back?
He apparently put in neutral and rolled it back before any damage to his house.

This feels a lot like that thread.
Half term, right?

·
Registered
621 Posts
I've recently had my red GT-R stolen from my driveway in the middle of night around 3am the night of Monday the 12th/early morning Tuesday 13th this month.

By the time I've noticed it missing in the morning and called cobra it was too late as the tracker had been either ripped out or the car had been put in a secure unit where it couldn't be detected. I did not know that the cobra system only tracks the cars movements when alerted, not 24/7 and as Cobra were not alerted before it was too late, I now cannot find my car.

As I was not aware of this flaw in the Cobra Tracking System I thought maybe some others would not know of this problem, hence me sharing it here hoping it will help some others maybe decide to put an alternative tracker on the car that tracks movements 24/7. as I wish I had done.
Sorry mate but to call it a flaw is wrong. Firstly there was no need for them to rip the tracker out because they have the fob. The tracker is only alerted and Cobra informed IF the vehicle is moved with no contact to the FOB. There is no reason to track all vehicles in contact with the fob. Why should it? Car is talking to fob. Fob is with owner. Car hasn't been stolen. Alert sent to Cobra when car moves when not in contact with fob ie when its been nicked!

You are in the unfortunate position where they have the car, the fob and the key! Something that no tracking system in the world can save you from until you know its been nicked. In your case when you woke up several hours later to realise it gone. Giving them time to remove it.

Bottom line is keep the fob on your possession ie wallet and this wouldn't have happened. Or at least you would have known it was being nicked when it was being nicked and they could have tracked it.

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Sorry mate but to call it a flaw is wrong. Firstly there was no need for them to rip the tracker out because they have the fob. The tracker is only alerted and Cobra informed IF the vehicle is moved with no contact to the FOB. There is no reason to track all vehicles in contact with the fob. Why should it? Car is talking to fob. Fob is with owner. Car hasn't been stolen. Alert sent to Cobra when car moves when not in contact with fob ie when its been nicked!

You are in the unfortunate position where they have the car, the fob and the key! Something that no tracking system in the world can save you from until you know its been nicked. In your case when you woke up several hours later to realise it gone. Giving them time to remove it.

Bottom line is keep the fob on your possession ie wallet and this wouldn't have happened. Or at least you would have known it was being nicked when it was being nicked and they could have tracked it.
+1 +2

Simple as that, keep the key and fob in the same place, aka both in the wallet/purse = game over WHEN the wallet/purse is stolen , THE tracker thinks all is safe as the driver and keys are nice and safe TOGETHER

·
Ooo Matron !
1,985 Posts
A while ago I was using the insurance comparison sites for a quote and fiddling around with various options to see what affected the price. This is what I found:

a) Cheapest : Car parked in street overnight
b) Next cheapest : Cared in my drive overnight
c) Most expensive : Car parked in my garage overnight

Sounds stupid ? More expensive to garage your car than keep it on the road ? yes.

I asked on PH and the reply I got from someone who works in insurance was that since for modern cars the only way to steal it is to steal the key then;

a) If it's on the road it's not obvious where the owner lives so it's also not obvious where the key is

b) If it's on your drive it's very obvious where the key is

c) As b) but no one can see it being stolen as the thief is hidden from view in your garage

So the highest risk is to garage your car and the lowest risk it to park it on the road.

So for keeping your car in your garage you get penalised.

·
Ooo Matron !
1,985 Posts
The thing with a tracker is that the yearly cost is almost always more than you save in your insurance premium. So, for the privilege of paying more money in total you are reducing the risk to the insurance company. So it costs you to mitigate their risk. Good eh ?

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
A while ago I was using the insurance comparison sites for a quote and fiddling around with various options to see what affected the price. This is what I found:

a) Cheapest : Car parked in street overnight
b) Next cheapest : Cared in my drive overnight
c) Most expensive : Car parked in my garage overnight

Sounds stupid ? More expensive to garage your car than keep it on the road ? yes.

I asked on PH and the reply I got from someone who works in insurance was that since for modern cars the only way to steal it is to steal the key then;

a) If it's on the road it's not obvious where the owner lives so it's also not obvious where the key is

b) If it's on your drive it's very obvious where the key is

c) As b) but no one can see it being stolen as the thief is hidden from view in your garage

So the highest risk is to garage your car and the lowest risk it to park it on the road.

So for keeping your car in your garage you get penalised.
never thought of it that way.. IF they need the keys... well. wowsers. you would have thought a garage would have been safer....

·
Registered
621 Posts
The thing with a tracker is that the yearly cost is almost always more than you save in your insurance premium. So, for the privilege of paying more money in total you are reducing the risk to the insurance company. So it costs you to mitigate their risk. Good eh ?
Maybe but without a tracker you wont get your supercar back.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
never thought of it that way.. IF they need the keys... well. wowsers. you would have thought a garage would have been safer....
Arn't garages locked, i know mine is.
Keeping it off the street and in the garage reduces the risk of someone seeing the car and wanting to nick it. Its a clause in my insurance that i cant park the car within 500m of the house over night - it must be in the garage.

·
Premium Member
2,514 Posts
That sounds like a restraining order...bit harsh!
That's overnight but its not a problem for me personally, I always put the car in the garage when I'm home.

Basically its to stop people being lazy and not putting the car in the garage every night but maybe on the street.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Really sorry to hear your car was stolen.
This thread made me check the two fobs I got with the car in March, both we're flat ie. no flashing led. New batteries in fobs this morning, all good now.
I hope you get the car back unscathed.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Really sorry to hear your car was stolen.
This thread made me check the two fobs I got with the car in March, both we're flat ie. no flashing led. New batteries in fobs this morning, all good now.
I hope you get the car back unscathed.

that makes no sense if your batteries were flat then cobra would have phoned you instantly unless you havnt driven the car since march ?

you have to pay a yearly subscription or the tracker will not be active.

·
Registered
69 Posts
that makes no sense if your batteries were flat then cobra would have phoned you instantly unless you havnt driven the car since march ?

you have to pay a yearly subscription or the tracker will not be active.

Agree it doesnt make sense. The subscription is active until Mar h 2015...

·
Premium Member
5,788 Posts
Agree it doesnt make sense. The subscription is active until Mar h 2015...
sounds like its not tracking/active, ring cobra to test it 02083 052 026

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Another reason why parking on the road gets cheaper insurance is apparently because a lot of people claim for damage after hitting their garage door frame or driveway gate post.

My quote this year was exactly the same with or without a tracker.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts