GTR Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys
I have a red warning light coming on during driving (foot down stuff) - the one that lights up for "handbrake on" - Car seems to carry on running fine....

I have no owners manual - anyone got any ideas on what problem could be?

(and no the handbrake is off !!)

Thanks
Rob

(Jap import GTR33)

D

·
0 Posts
warning light

Have you checked the brake fluid level ???

My light flickered on hardish cornerning, fluid was a tad low, topped it up. No more light.

The cap says only use DOT3 fluid, which I found hard to find. Everywhere seemed to stock DOT4 & DOT5. I eventually found some DOT3 and used it, but I was wondering it it specifies DOT3 because that was the best at the time (my car's a '89 R32) and DOT4 etc.. is now better and OK to use ??

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Warning light

Hi

Thanks for the reply

The fluid level is fine (although low'ish) - however I plan on having new pads shortly so perhaps it will sort itself out...

Cheers
Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
It sure will (Not wanting to teach grandmar to suck egges)

As the pads ware it takes move fluid to puch the pistons of the calipers out hence the drop in fluid level.

Nice because this does warn you that the pads are on there way out!

If the fluid level is not that low IE under the low on the high low marks don't worry as when your puch back the pistons on the Calipers to get new pads in the level will go up to the top!!

If you top up there is a danger you will get a over flow of fluid all over your nice Engine bay and Brake fluid is nasty stuff (dam good at stipping paint) When new pads are fitted so if topping up go easy if pads are warn the best time to top up is when new pads have been fitted. and if your bleeding them you will leve just the right amount in!

Try not to top up with old fluid Brake fluid because it is Hydroscopic and once opened will go off!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Warning light

Cheers Bruce

The strange thing is that the warning light often only comes on under acceleration &/or with gear changes - I would have thought that if the fluid had reached a minimum level, it would be on all the time...

...still...

going to have the pads changed by someone who knows what they're doing - I dont do brakes :)

Thanks for the reply
Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
That a very good sine! Because as the fluid slops about the scenser is just pooping out of the fluid and the light pops on!

When you need to worry is when you are parked on a flat suface and the light stays on!

I know the hart skipps a bit when Red lights come on this is good as they are warning lights and never should be ignored!!

like a young lady I know came to see me and said this light came on so I came stright around to see you i think it's the Oil light

AAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH I said

But she was lucky it was only the brack fluid light!! and yes the pads were low!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts