258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want some confirmation as to which mods invalidate it and which do not:

Stage 1 Cobb Tune?

Miltek Y pipe?

Bridgestone Tyres?

Non OEM pads/discs?

Non-Nissan transmission oil?

The first 3 in particular concern me as they would be the things I would eventually want to do even though I have no plans to track the car (much). How clear cut is all this?

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
my guess would be

yes (warranty on engine/drivetrain related gone.
no (if fitted by dealer (such as middlehursts)
no
no (as you will struggle to get warranty over discs and pads anyway)
yes

not cast in stone but that would be my guess.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Lets all try the "search" option on the site. The W question has been beaten to death on here............
I've probably read more posts on this site than you have and believe me, it ain't clear. If you want decent resale values, try to be a little more helpful to potential second-hand buyers such as myself. A clearer, 'sticky' thread would be my suggestion if helpful replies are too much effort.

If those mods potentially invalidate the warranty (tranny oil, cobb) then why would you guys risk it? You must be loaded or believe yourselves to be very lucky.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've probably read more posts on this site than you have and believe me, it ain't clear.

With this quote above, obviously your not looking to be taken seriously here!

If you cannot determine from all the previous "W" posts on this forum where we stand on the warranty front then I can't for the life of me think why you starting another one will clarify it for you.

BTW you seem more concerned about the re-sale values than current owners are.

Join the Forum and you can see additional stickies on these subjects, if not TOTSN

·
Registered
290 Posts
whats "TOTSN"?
Trot Off To School Now. LOL

I can't take this thread seriously
You have to question anybody who asks if changing from Dunlop's to Bridgestones will invalidate the warranty!
The question on non OEM pads and discs also beggars belief.
Now he insinuates he is of a higher intelligence and we are all very well off morons. LOL.

One would tend to think if your in the market for this type of car you will be just a little bit more savvy, especially as Niall has read more posts than the majority on here.:chairshot

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
"we are all very well off morons" - no not all, just you :D

Seriously, I did not mean to insinuate that - merely that I do not have the money to be anything other than cautious. I have done plenty of research and read hundreds of posts ( see my site: car-tell - The Website for Serious Buyers of Second Hand Performance Cars on the GTR) but perhaps I should have looked more carefully for warranty information. I still think the info should be concentrated into one easy to find and read thread however as many, many other people will come here asking the same questions over coming months and some of them may want to buy your cars from you when the time comes. As for my questions being naive, if you've had dealings with Porsche and some of the excuses they find not to honour warranties you might think differently. One bitten, etc.

TOTSN - is that not a little patronising? Ironic too as I'm a teacher. What do you do?

·
Registered
290 Posts
"
Seriously, I did not mean to insinuate that - merely that I do not have the money to be anything other than cautious.

TOTSN - is that not a little patronising? Ironic too as I'm a teacher. What do you do?

No problem, if you are looking for more info drop me a PM and I will to the best of my ability answer them. I will have asked them previously as I am Scottish and therefore when it comes to money..........you know the rest.

I am not a teacher although often I think I am dealing with children:blahblah:

I can recommend the car (no I am not selling mine) but as with all HP cars care need to be taken. My previous 2 HP cars were bought privately E46 M3 and Cayman S as I felt I could speak and see the owners to confirm I bought a cracking car. Both cars very low millage and after I moved them on 18 months later I received emails of thanks from their new owners. Not everyone are sharks although great care needs to be taken.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Lindsay Mac, appreciated. My intention is to buy a 1 year old car next year, run it until the warranty expires or a few months before, then assess my options on either extending it, trading for another one(!) or changing to a different car altogether. Will only do around 6000 a year and very little track work so am hoping with the warranty things will be affordable -hence my questions here. I'm sure Nissan are more reasonable than Porsche and in any case the Bridgestones are probably the only thing I'd have the courage to change anyway. It's not that the money isn't there, it's justifying expense to my very own brunette. I'm amazed she's agreed to the car at all so don't want to push my luck :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
"we are all very well off morons" - no not all, just you :D

Seriously, I did not mean to insinuate that - merely that I do not have the money to be anything other than cautious. I have done plenty of research and read hundreds of posts ( see my site: car-tell - The Website for Serious Buyers of Second Hand Performance Cars on the GTR) but perhaps I should have looked more carefully for warranty information. I still think the info should be concentrated into one easy to find and read thread however as many, many other people will come here asking the same questions over coming months and some of them may want to buy your cars from you when the time comes. As for my questions being naive, if you've had dealings with Porsche and some of the excuses they find not to honour warranties you might think differently. One bitten, etc.

In short, I think all would invalidate warranty with Nissan as they do look for a way out.
I love my GTR but not Nissan!!

I see a number of responses seem to be pretty "stock" answers but that's because hsitorically all owners play with GTRs. If your wallet is deep enough, do what you want but be prepared to fund your own issues.

I note a reply with regards tyres but i have known people in the past that fitted alternative tyres and the extra grip with the softer compound accelerated suspension wear and the manufacturer only part contributed to replacement.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I note a reply with regards tyres but i have known people in the past that fitted alternative tyres and the extra grip with the softer compound accelerated suspension wear and the manufacturer only part contributed to replacement.

Of the 2 "main" tyre options Dunlop/Bridgestone I believe Dunlop are the softest and would give a better grip on a dry road. There may be a R888 option from Toyo which if it were to come in our sizes could result in additional wear if you have the driving ability. Don't think I'll have to worry about that. LOL

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.