GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To any of the the detailers/sprayers out there . . .

I have just got my R35 GTR back from the body shop after they repainted the front and back bumpers to get a better colour match.

The car was cleaned before I picked it up but it is now dirty. What are the rules on washing and waxing new paint.

I normally used megs Nxt shampoo or Maxi Suds II from Chemical Guys or Poor Boys - cannot remember who makes it.

Thanks

Kp

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
Paint to cure and harden..

As for washing..

Avoid washing in direct sunlight. Good rinse. Prewash. Thorough rinse and wash car with deep pile washmitts and two bucket method. After rinsing shampoo off, pat dry with a quality drying towel using a quick detailer as a drying aid..

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
so you would leave the paint open and not protected?

I dont agree. We always wax every car that leaves the workshop to protect the paint.

If you was talking about cutting the paint etc then it needs to harden etc but this all depends on paint type and drying process.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
My personal opinion is that paint can be left "open and not protected" for a little while if those freshly painted parts of the car are regularly and safely cleaned.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I cannot make my mind up, I thought the paint would have hardened when it was baked in the oven at the body shop. That said I know a few people say no. So I have sonw foamed it, rinsed, washed it and then rinsed it again and finished with a pat dry.

Thanks for all your help.

Will leave it a week or two and then protect it.

Kp

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
my friend who owns his own bodyshop says the same as mattysupra, which i have to admit i thought the opposite. it is ok to wax straight away as long as has been baked and quality paint has been used, not cheap paint or aerosols etc.

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
asked a few questions about this as there are mixed views over the net.

It boils down to what paint was used. If a heavy solvent based paint they can be left open to breath. (these are pretty much faded out and not used anymore) But it all depends on how long the paint has been left open/dried etc and who has done the paint work.

We flat the cars and allow to stand with the paint open for a day or two and then polish the paint back to a shine and send out the paintshop with a coat of wax to protect the paint from rain/dirt etc.

If the car has had a fast turn around repair, like dropped off at 9 in the morning and you collect at 5 on the same day then the paint will be full of solvents etc trying to escape still. Now you can argue that a coat of wax will hold these solvents in ! But then again the paint is going out un protected if you dont treat it.

There is defo no problem with washing the car providing you use a good 'car' soap and not fairy liquid etc that strips the paint of wax's etc. Always adviced to use the two bucket method and a good sponge/sheaf etc like already suggested.

To settle all arguments i think you need to find out whos paint was used and see what thet say as different manufactories/products will recommend different things.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I agree with Matty above.... If I'm asked by customers I always say to leave it a week or two before waxing or sealing as you never know what kind of paint / quality of paint / baking has been done but, generally with all modern paints that are baked you can work on them almost straight away.

Cheers :).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts