GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason why not?

I have googled around and seen it done many times, but not really on skylines.
I know the make of car isn't going to make any difference :rolleyes:

Anyway, im tired of how cramped the wastegate is, tucked below the manifold, its just a b1tch to work on. So I wanted to put it above, but piping it from the manifold would create more space issues.

Early F1 turbos had it on the housing.... Only problem I can see is getting a good weld to the cast iron. But I know a man who can as they say.

Searching seems to have varied responses, from those who say its not possible and will crack, to those who say they have done it and had no issues....

·
Registered
723 Posts
Not exactly the same but I had a turbo flange welded onto a cast manifold with my old Cinquecento and the weld was as strong as anything, guessing a good welder helps mind.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome, that's just what I need. Would make working on it so much easier.

I spoke to my fabricator friend and he laughed when I said weld ss onto cast iron!!
But it clearly can be done!

My turbo is a twin scroll though, you reckon it would spoil the benefits?

·
Registered
320 Posts
its best to weld stainless to stainless. for a twinscroll i would recommend 2 external wastegates, or try to find a way to divide the WG tube in the middle, but use thick metal and strong welds so it doesnt crack

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
its best to weld stainless to stainless. for a twinscroll i would recommend 2 external wastegates, or try to find a way to divide the WG tube in the middle, but use thick metal and strong welds so it doesnt crack

So if people use 1 wastegate on a devided manifold it's best to say spilt the 60mm tube down the middle from were the 2 join so the gasses can't mix? Would that really make a big difference?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts