GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed this a couple of times; water collecting in the area around the boot seals.

Level gets quite high e.g. half way up the ball joint on the boot piston, and doesn't quickly drain away.

This can't be right and must surely cause a problem down the line.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Yep, the guy who detailed my car pointed that out to me.

I just drilled a hole thru so it can drain away.

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
puff

·
Premium Member
7,633 Posts
Just for the record.....

I was only kidding!

Just had a horrible thought that somebody might even try that!

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Grime builds up between where the bumper join is below and blocks the channel therefore the water builds up, it still shouldn't leak into the boot however.

I use a cable tie and push between the gap and wiggle it to dislodge the grime, you'll then see the water flow free and exit out of the car by the exhausts.
Good tip thanks, all this time and I'd never noticed/heard of this!.. probably as I don't use the boot much.. Anyhow cleaned mine up and cable ties used to clear the drain slits.

Before - blocked+swimming!

After - flowing, cables ties in place as an example, then removed and kept in door basket.

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Reminder as winters coming up folks, get those rain channels unclogged and cleared!! :smokin:

Good tip thanks, all this time and I'd never noticed/heard of this!.. probably as I don't use the boot much.. Anyhow cleaned mine up and cable ties used to clear the drain slits.

After - flowing, cables ties in place as an example, then removed and kept in door basket.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Great stuff, thanks! I was also wondering why I had a miniature swimming pool for bugs on each side of the boot.. :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
As Robbie J says earlier in the thread, I've found you do need to keep coming back to it and redo every so often. Easy enough job though with the cable tie idea :chuckle:

·
Premium Member
5,826 Posts
Reminder as winters coming up folks, get those rain channels unclogged and cleared!! Kitchen roll to scoop the bulk crud in channels, and then run hot water down to loosen the rest, using cable ties to clear the drain slits (bottom+sides)
:smokin:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Great tip; thanks!

I'd noticed this a couple of times previously and asked about it when the car was in for a service. No help at all. So, as I couldn't see any obvious drain holes, I assumed it must be a strange design flaw and gave up.

It was pouring rain today in Aberdeen and the water level in the blocked channels was very high when I had the boot open which made me think again that this just couldn't be right so I thought I'd try the Forum......which I should have done in the first place of course!

Anyway, went out with zip ties as suggested and problem solved in a few seconds. I'll clean the channels out properly when the rain stops!

Thanks a lot for a top tip:bowdown1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts