GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all doing the twin to single convert I know this has been covered before but people may have different setups my turbo is oil only ive got a fair idea whats what but if someone can clarify il be happy so where the two banjos are amongst manifold which are these for I know the pipe hanging around at the top as pic is rotated is water as it runs behind block what do we do with this ?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the metal pipes that run along the side of the head can I remove all that ? ideally id like to remove all water pipes but I understand id need access to under the inlet plenum and not sure if il have enough time to do that right now

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Get rid of the banjos in the first pic completely and block the water feed in the block. You can use a sump plug, it is the same thread as i found it a mega pain in the ass trying to find something to block it.

2nd pic, mine is stuck like that at the moment too and i have the same pipe running to the front of the plenum but i want to remove it all. You will need to be able to get under the plenum but its going to be a complete bastard. I was told you can get easier access to it if you remove the starter motor but that is a "c u next Tuesday" in itself as i found out a month back and have a horrible scar to prove it! If you do get it removed you literally block it off at the front and the plenum and the back of the plenum and your good to go because at the moment all your doing it looping it round the engine.

3rd pic, yes you can block that although I have completely removed the recircs and will be blocking it off from where the cast pipe that has them attached goes onto the intercooler pipe!

Any questions let me know I have never done anything like this before and have learnt a hell of a lot doing and still doing mine so have it fresh at the moment.

Who made the manifold and what turbo will you be running?

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cheers mate some nice tips there a pal up north made it and im running a holset hx40 so will need to keep some sort of bov tried to look under plenum jesus theres a lot of cack going on under there lol

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
cheers mate some nice tips there a pal up north made it and im running a holset hx40 so will need to keep some sort of bov tried to look under plenum jesus theres a lot of cack going on under there lol
Cool, manifold looks pretty sweet :). I have a 6boost one.

I dont think the recircs will work properly then, and i can only imagine that there would be a huge pressure build up after them which would blow the bung out. Normally they would be passing the air back through that plastic piping and back into the inlet to be used again.

I may be wrong but if they cant recirculate the air thats the only thing i can think would happen...

I think i should be alright without a BOV i am running a Precision Turbo 6266 Dual Ball bearing, I hope anyway?

Yep, i really don't know where or how to start with those pipes to be honest! I have just bought a Greddy Plenum so will have to take the standard one off at some point to fit it. I am thinking of just leaving mine with the loop at the moment and I can then remove those lines when i fit the new plenum.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
If you want to use the std recirc valves as dumpvalves leave them as they are in the pic now and they'll work just as good ... without the recirc part off course ;)

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ontop of suspension strut so i got it sussed as i had time to fathom stuff out and had my mech head on with no distractions so rear water feed from block put a bolt in that sorted rear oil return from turbo cut a rubber pipe put bolt and jubilee clip on block off sorted what i need to know is what size fitting comes outta block (centre) for oil feed i have a braided line on there but its not long enough for top mount and the no1 question is where the fcuk do the water pipes go under the plenum as i cant feel em round or bloody see em

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Ontop of suspension strut so i got it sussed as i had time to fathom stuff out and had my mech head on with no distractions so rear water feed from block put a bolt in that sorted rear oil return from turbo cut a rubber pipe put bolt and jubilee clip on block off sorted what i need to know is what size fitting comes outta block (centre) for oil feed i have a braided line on there but its not long enough for top mount and the no1 question is where the fcuk do the water pipes go under the plenum as i cant feel em round or bloody see em
Ahh OK i have just heat shielded mine, my turbo sits quite far forward so hopefully should be fine. I have a 4" downpipe too though so its alot closer to everything. I put some shielding on my ABS lines as just to be safe as well not sure if it looks good or shit but my engine bay isnt exactly bling. Unless your running a 4" pipe though i wouldn't bother to be honest.

Im not sure on the thread size i bought all the necessary bits from Raw Brokerage when i ordered my turbo from them, and i cant find the adapter on there website at the moment.

I think you saw the pic on my other thread of where the water lines go. I think I was hoping someone would say there is an easy way to get to it but there just isnt. I was told to remove the starter motor to get better access to it but that is a bastard in itself.

I really am not looking forward to it but it has to be done!

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah im not blinging it .... Well not yet anyway lol yeah i seen the pic of the three metal pipes going behind block are all 3 water ? Cant really tell where they go from that pic tho need just a bit more really at this rate i can see me taking plenum off even tho i really dont want too

1 - 20 of 33 Posts