GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
A mate had this in his corolla on a trackday the bottom hose burst and it went all over his tyres! (It's like oil) he spun on his own fluid and put it in the gravel trap!
That was all fine apart from the next car came along was a mint rs500 cosworth who also spun a hit the Armco!!
It's good stuff as long as you can keep it in!

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Funny thing is the advert claims the fluid is almost pressure less so there shouldn't be any issues with bursting hoses :runaway:
How can they make such a claim where the product is operating in a closed system that heats up over such a wide range? They obviously missed physics off as an option at school?

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
The fluid that my friend was using was Toyota 4 life not this particular brand!
But the same sort of stuff! Ish!!

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
If you're replacing a water/anti-freeze mix you need to flush it all out with Evans prep fluid before you fill it with the Power Cool which adds to the cost of doing it.
I've seen a RS13 with a RB26 conversion that runs it and it actually runs a few degrees warmer than it did with a conventional water/antifreeze mix. That coupled with the fact you'll want to cry at the cost of replacing it if you have a leak has put me off using it.

Cheers

Stu

·
Following EJH#25
6,841 Posts
How can they make such a claim where the product is operating in a closed system that heats up over such a wide range? They obviously missed physics off as an option at school?
It's not water based so doesn't expand and pressurise anywhere near the amount water does. Plus the boiling point is way off. I use Motul Inugel, well worth it in my opinion. :)

·
Banned
1,032 Posts
Its only a benefit if you are putting it in a new vehicle/engine, to prevent corrosion. It shouldn't burst a hose though as it's not meant expand that much when heated.

Cant make my mind up weather to put this in my 1 year old Nissan Pathfinder or not.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Just from looking at their website, there's some good features to it, whether they could be considered benefits would depend on the individual and the vehicle it's used on.

They claim;

1) Non toxic

2) Lifetime use

3) Non corrosive (compared to the water in 50/50 ethylene glycol mix)

4) 190 deg c (375 f) boiling point (so extremely low system pressure and therefore no need for an overflow tank) Would it stand to reason it would contribute to longer lasting hoses, radiator & heater core?

For me I guess the non-corrosive part is the most appealing on a car that gets very little use, relatively speaking.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ask Turbotom (i guess You know him!). He has used and tested a similar product (don't know exactly which)!
I'm looking for that thread on another forum and will send you the link via mail when i find it!

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,601 Posts
I use it and it does not pressurise as they claim.

I've foiund it handles the temps well and it should help reduce det (flushing the system first, no air/better contact with cylinder walls than water etc etc).

I've seen people take the cap off after running the car for 20 mins and nothin g happens!!

Must admit I'd not expected nor seen significant temperature drops.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I had a thread up about his about a year ago, I saw it being used on wheeler dealers and they took great care to make sure all the moisture from the old coolant was flushed, I couldn't see how it would make much difference to temperatures anyway because the thermostat will only open at a set temperature no matter what fluid it's in and it's still in contact with the same heat as the water would've been, I'd imagine it may take a little longer to get up to temperature but I see the biggest benefits being lack of pressure on hoses etc and the fact that it's non corrosive and it lasts a lifetime

·
Registered
498 Posts
I am thinking about using this on my build, I'd rather not as it very expensive but with my job my car sits for 5 - 6 months at a time unused so I was thinking this would help reduce corrosion.

Do people here think this will be worthwhile?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Folks are forgetting though that water has an almost uniquely high heat capacity compared to almost any other liquid. It's weirdly even able to absorb heat initially with little increase in temperature as the heat goes into breaking down the bonds between Hydrogen and Oxygen. A pan of water on a cooker takes a long time to boil and the bottom of the pan doesn't start glowing red over the flame as the water absorbs the heat. Water also retains heat well so can avoid thermal cooling shock on an engine in say a long downhill run while off throttle

In terms of cooling performance it's difficult to beat plain water...

Corrosion only becomes a problem when oxygen gets into the system, and an expansion tank should stop that.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts