GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Anyone know of any good freebee webspace providers ??

My site is almost at freeserves webspace limit (i'm within 1mb), so i need to find a new host for the site so that i can continue to add to it.

I'm looking at buying a new PC very soon (this old dog is on it's last legs, so it's time for a 1.7 GHZ). At the same time, i'm also looking to move over to NTL's broadband service...so i'll have a top-notch hi-speed net connection. Thing is, NTL are only offering 10mb of webspace (i'm already WELL over that). So, unless they are prepared to offer at least double that, i need to look elsewhere.

Anyone got any suggestions ?

Many thanks,
Daz

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice one !

Cheers for that John...i'll have a good look.

Daz

·
Registered
961 Posts
daz what are stats on your pc now?

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Current spec is pentium 200mmx with 64mb ram 2 mb graphics with 2 mb 3d card, 4.5gb hdd. Really old, really poor spec.

BUT, it's better than what my granddad has, so i'll give him this when i get the new one.

The new one will be 1.7ghz P4, 256mb ddram, 64mb graphics, 60gb hdd, cd burner, the works....much better :D

Daz

·
Registered
961 Posts
ive got
1 ghz
128meg ram
32 bit grafics
dvd /cd burner:D
20 gb hard drive
17 ince moniter and i boughtit a year ago
so for that spec now its half that price:rolleyes:

sounds like the pc is going to be one fast lump!

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be honest, the sort of spec you've got is what i was after....but i decided i may as well go a bit further while i'm at it.

Thing is with the computer market, things progress so quickly, you just have to decide what you want, get it, and then ignore the fact that a year later it's available at half (or less) than what you paid....it's just the way it goes.

I remember once paying £208 quid for 8 mb of Ram !!!! (for an old 386).

I've held out for over 4 years, but it really is time to upgrade. Gonna be a nightmare trying to get all the software on the new PC...downloaded so many plug-ins for the net, etc......

Still, it'll give me something to do if it rains ! :D

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
805 Posts
Take care

Daz,

Useful freespace is getting much harder to find, Mb space is one thing but best check carefully bandwidth limits and allowable file types, wish I had, as I used me bandwidth within 2 days on a recent freehost, I tryed a few and have no recommendations.... now moved to a pay host now

RonS

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rob - i've thought about that, but to be honest, i don't want to leave my PC on all day while i'm at work (plus, i'd need a pretty hot firewall to make sure everything was secure). Cheers for the idea though (may be one i end up resorting to anyway !).

Ron - cheers for that. I had a quick look around the other day, and didn't find anythign to my liking. I reckon i'll end up keeping my freeserve account going and finding a way of chopping my site down, so that i can get new stuff on there. NTL only offer 10mb, so i definately won't be able to use that. Looks like i'll have 2 providers !:D

Cheers,
Daz

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah, I am going to have to think about moving from NTL for my web space at some point. 10 megs isn’t a lot and I must be close to the limit.

Although with NTL you are able to have 5 emails address’s each with ten megs of web space. Maybe I could link them together...? or maybe not!

Daz your thumbnails on your site are quite big maybe shrinking them might help?

We’ve have had NTL broadband for a couple of months now, use a router to share the connection between my computer and my dads. Think I must of got used to it now as does not have the same buzz as it used to. Its good to be able to download video clips that are a couple of megs and watch them smoothly as its downloading its so fast!

Justin
www.gti-r.net

1 - 12 of 12 Posts