GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most on here my GTR is too loud and expensive to run everyday so I have a second car. At the moment that second car is a :nervous: Honda shuttle. It has been great for what I needed and really reliable but now I'd like something with a bit more street cred and that's actually fun to drive. Additionally it has to be fairly good on petrol and cheap.

At the weekend my cousin came over and showed me her new clio 182 and to be honest I completely fell in love with it! I never thought I'd say this about a clio but i was nice inside, handled well, revvy, had great brakes and it was actually pretty quick. I genuinely enjoyed driving it and didn't want to give the keys back!

Now I'm definitely considering buying one as my new second car but have a few reservations. Firstly, although it was quick I'm not sure how long it would last. Although I service my cars regularly I like to get the most out of them and drive them hard. I'm concerned a renault might not live up to the jap reliability that I've come to expect over the years! Also, I've read a few reviews and there are a few 172/182 horror stories out there.

The obvious jap alternatives I've come up with are the ek9 type r or the integra type r; but both are very pricey compared to the (172s that can be had for 2k).

So can you answer the following please:

Anyone got any experience with the 172/182s?
Am I likely to break it if I buy one?
Which is better, the 172 (lighter) or 182 (more powerful and newer)?
Any other decent alternatives you'd recommend?

Nik

·
Registered
826 Posts
If its just a everyday car you want go with something good on fuel and cheap, you have the GTR as backup if you wanted a blast.

Fiat Punto 1.2 say 2004 model approx £2500 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Mk4 Golf GTTdi150 all the way!

Not far off pace of a 172 but returns 50-60mpg and has german build quality so wont rattle like a clio ;)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Buy a diesel van. Good MPG with a bit of practicality to boot. What's the point in owning two cars? May have something that has other uses as well.

·
Premium Member
2,862 Posts
1998 on DC2 Integra Type R in top condition. Great driver's cars and possibly the best handling FWD chassis ever. Fantastic engine too & it's N/A (Sounds great with a good exhaust). Better than a later model DC5 ITR and way better than UK built Civic Type R's. The goods ones hold their value well.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
Have a mate who's had a 182 Cup for a few years and his ran like clockwork. Given he used to rant it from cold I was/am a little impressed it stood up so well.

If you're looking in the £2k bracket I'd have a gander at the Almeria (N15) GTI. Not as much fun as the Clio but very solid with a great engine. Can be had with air-con and the factory bodykit for peanuts. - Nissan : Nissan Almera GTI 1999 (v)

Other things in the £2k price bracket -

Alfa 156 with the 2.0 petrol (high spec one with leather etc) - Veloces of London : ALFA ROMEO 156 2.0 TS 16V 4DR

Stagea - nihon imports : 97 P REG NISSAN SKYLINE STAGEA,52K MLS RS4,07 IMPORT,2.5 T,SATNA

Mk1 Focus (a little boring but a good solid car) - Ford : Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec - 63k - Met. Blue - MOT/TAX

Mk1 MX5 (great fun and probably closest to the Clio, might be worth sourcing a hardtop is you want to use it in winter) - Mazda : MX5 Mk 1 1.8i

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,203 Posts
1998 on DC2 Integra Type R in top condition. Great driver's cars and possibly the best handling FWD chassis ever. Fantastic engine too & it's N/A (Sounds great with a good exhaust). Better than a later model DC5 ITR and way better than UK built Civic Type R's. The goods ones hold their value well.
Surely they'd be a long way over £2k?

If not then I ought to be buying one myself!

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Have a friend just selling theirs as they considered it too hardcore for a daily driver, so not sure about that! Not doubting it's a great car (they love it) but it's not a comfortable everyday car...apparently.

No suggestions really, I have a Discovery for everyday, which isn't that cheap either (but as suggested above, it fulfils different criteria rather than having two cars).

·
Registered
58 Posts
Toyota Glanza - cheap and extremely fun! I had a 200bhp one and it sooo much fun, the 4e lump is usual Toyota, bulletproof!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Like most on here my GTR is too loud and expensive to run everyday so I have a second car. At the moment that second car is a :nervous: Honda shuttle. It has been great for what I needed and really reliable but now I'd like something with a bit more street cred and that's actually fun to drive. Additionally it has to be fairly good on petrol and cheap.

At the weekend my cousin came over and showed me her new clio 182 and to be honest I completely fell in love with it! I never thought I'd say this about a clio but i was nice inside, handled well, revvy, had great brakes and it was actually pretty quick. I genuinely enjoyed driving it and didn't want to give the keys back!

Now I'm definitely considering buying one as my new second car but have a few reservations. Firstly, although it was quick I'm not sure how long it would last. Although I service my cars regularly I like to get the most out of them and drive them hard. I'm concerned a renault might not live up to the jap reliability that I've come to expect over the years! Also, I've read a few reviews and there are a few 172/182 horror stories out there.

The obvious jap alternatives I've come up with are the ek9 type r or the integra type r; but both are very pricey compared to the (172s that can be had for 2k).

So can you answer the following please:

Anyone got any experience with the 172/182s?
Am I likely to break it if I buy one?
Which is better, the 172 (lighter) or 182 (more powerful and newer)?
Any other decent alternatives you'd recommend?

Nik
Nik,

Renaults have very shoddy build qual

friends who have owned them have reported electrical gremlins and gearbox issues

for 2k id suggest S14, R32 GTSt or with super sensible hat on agree with cris Focus 1.8 lx

Lex

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Renaults have very shoddy build qual

electrical gremlins and gearbox issues
I can confirm this.

Those 172 Clios are the worst crap :puke:

I bought one from new in 2001 and after the first 10k kilometers I had serious engine, alternator and gearbox issues. The repair cost around 5k (glad I had guarantee) but after the next 8k kilometers same issues started all over again. Sold it at the first opportunity.

Get yourself something Japanese in this class, as they are cheaper and far more reliable :thumbsup:

Cheers

Leo

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I have a 172 as a daily - its more fun on the road the majority of the time! Its almost as good a car as my old CRX handling wise

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for all your suggestions guys. Some good ideas in there.

Some mixed reviews about the clio which is annoying as I really wanted to get one. The almera gti looks like quite a good alternative though. Might go for a test drive in one.

I was tempted by a glanza but the reason I'd stay away is I wanted a non-turbo so I wouldn't end up with a new tuning project! I'd find it very hard to restrain myself from looking for a front mount and boost controller straight away.

Same reason for a s14 or gtst (as well as petrol/running costs). If I was to opt for 2l turbo I'd definitely take the plunge and get a pulsar as I've wanted one for years. Not sure I could justify a pulsar AND a GTR though.

·
Super Moderator
16,098 Posts
Good thoughts, my advice to you is definitely get something that isn't tunable! You'll regret it as your wallet will get stretched in two ways.:p

·
Registered
423 Posts
i looked into getting an ek9 with my gtr, but i really couldnt stretch my funds
i had a 96 spec dc2 before and loved it
ended up getting a ek3 1.5vti sohc,fairly light on fuel and very reliable

1 - 20 of 33 Posts