GTR Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gaining power seems a less effective way of improving performance than losing weight. does anyone know what are the most cost effective (kg/£) ways of achieving this on the r35?

·
Registered
21 Posts
New front seats and new non-run-flat tyres are the most cost effective way of reducing weight that I know of (not counting bare stripping the car).

·
Registered
195 Posts
Surely someone's got to come up with a carbon fibre replacement for the rear seats - I can never imagine anyone sitting in the rear of mine. It's got to save a reasonable amount of weight, and you could incorporate cup holders, phone holders, coin holders and all sorts of other things that people have problems with on here.....

Guy

·
Registered
300 Posts
Get ride of back seats
Get light fronts without those heavy motors
Get light wheels And rubbers
Get aftermaket exhaust
Get carbon hood and trunk ( and re-paint....naked carbon looks stupid )
Get.... ceramic wheel bearing ? :)

·
Registered
3,574 Posts
Surely someone's got to come up with a carbon fibre replacement for the rear seats - I can never imagine anyone sitting in the rear of mine. It's got to save a reasonable amount of weight, and you could incorporate cup holders, phone holders, coin holders and all sorts of other things that people have problems with on here.....

Guy
It will save next to nothing,the rear seats are very light,just foam and leather....maybe 2-3 kilo´s....go on the toilett and you have saved more:wavey:

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
Most people who are selling carbon parts are not publishing the actual weight savings, which would make it difficult to evaluate relative benefits.

·
Registered
669 Posts
gaining power seems a less effective way of improving performance than losing weight. does anyone know what are the most cost effective (kg/£) ways of achieving this on the r35?

Increased Power is by far the easiest way of gaining performance in the first instance.

A Cobb tune has taken me from 11.757 @ 118.5 MPH to 11.053 @ 124.79 MPH, so nearly 3/4 second.

To get this type of performance improvment with weight saving would require approx 300Kg to be shed. Removing both front seats and all of the wheels and tyres will give you about half that. :) Of course you are then going to have to put some weight back if you want to be able to drive the car. :chuckle:

Rich

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for the responses to date. there certainly seems a pre-disposition on this forum to the "add power" route first (so weight of numbers certainly suggests this is the most cost effective way to increase performance). my instinct says that for a track day car set-up this is not so obvious and what also nags me is that from a warranty perspective extra power will be more likely to invalidate the warranty than less weight (though I am sure someone will tell me this will be equally offensive to the nissan views on warranty [it should not be]!)

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
replace exhaust with anything other than stock. replacnig them with Ti will not be a very good cost/% wise but it will be the lightest material.

the back seats weight nothing, no need to remove them.

the front seats should be removed and replaced. you can get any kind of seat from 50$ a peice to the skys the limit recaro.

replacing the runflats will help but it will decrease performance. replacing them with toyo R888 you gain some grip and they are only slightly lighter by only a few lbs. also not good in the rain or snow and have loads of road noise. i hear pzero are good road tires tho. going with 18"/19" rims and tires will help cost and choices.

all the carbon peices in the world wont help reduce much weight and wont be cost/% worthy. most people only buy carbon because they want to reduce every ounce of weight they can, but only after they tried everything else.

some aftermarket coilovers main out of aluminum will be lighter.

some brake rotors will be lighter than stock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts