GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now, this isn't your usual trader on here so it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

Kevin from Graphite will introduce himself properly, but essentially these guys produce 3D Printed parts and are looking for ideas within the GTR community.

Please welcome them aboard.

Graphite Additive Manufacturing

Thanks Kev

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thank you for the introduction Mike.

We are really excited by the opportunity to talk with the GTR community and find new applications for 3D Printing.
Kevin

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
3D Printed iPad Mini mounts to fit over the HVAC controls, as per Perrin21's idea.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi Johnny,
I'd like to see pictures if you have them. What was your experience with the process of designing and getting made the part, and do you have any other ideas for applications? Is material choice the limiting factor?
Thanks
Kevin

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I'd have thought titanium paddles would be an obvious choice for R35 owners.

·
Administrator
31,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really want to see some good ideas for these guys. If you can't think it, they can make it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'd have thought titanium paddles would be an obvious choice for R35 owners.
Ti paddles would be possible to make. But if the design can be machined, it will be cheaper to machine it. If however the design had complicated features and functionality that was not possible to make any other way, that's where 3D Printing would make sense.
For example, if you want the paddles to be hollow, with a honeycomb structure inside to make it lightweight and strong, and you had cables or switches built in. This type of design freedom is where you get real benefits from the technology.
Designing for the process is the key, and where I'd like to try and assist if I can.

What are the current paddles made from, and are you looking for weight saving?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Hi Johnny,
I'd like to see pictures if you have them. What was your experience with the process of designing and getting made the part, and do you have any other ideas for applications? Is material choice the limiting factor?
Thanks
Kevin
Hi,

I tried to do a copy, but nearly ended up in A&E. Here's the thread: http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/172402-ipad-mini-gtr-i-did-first-lol.html and here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DznsRHmL1Lk

I think a plastic/urethane mount with neodymium magnets to attach to would be perfect, using some kind of slider mechanism to get access to the HVAC controls like what Soundman.ca do.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uumMtX4Gulo

·
Registered
63 Posts
I like the concept and how it looks in the car. Designing a holder for an ipad mini would be fairly easy. Designing in CAD something that sits neatly over the HVAC controls would take a little longer.
Have you got anyone on the forum that can do the 3D CAD work? Building the part I can estimate a few different prices for you. A basic 3D printed plastic part (ABS, PC or Nylon) from a cheap bureau for a part this size would be around £70. Finish and accuracy wouldn't be the best. A high end supplier the better finish and mechanical properties would be around £200.
Cost for parts made this way is driven by size and material, not complexity. So a part half this size (say 100mm x 70mm) would be 1/8 of the cost (as it's 8 times less volume). £9 to £25 as an estimate.
Equally, double this size would be 8x the cost. £560 to £1600.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Might pop and see you guys was only thinking of something is like to get 3d printed for our cars. Can you pm me your phone number and I'll arrange to come say hi as I'm not a million miles from you.
Cheers
;)
Bob

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I like the concept and how it looks in the car. Designing a holder for an ipad mini would be fairly easy. Designing in CAD something that sits neatly over the HVAC controls would take a little longer.
Have you got anyone on the forum that can do the 3D CAD work? Building the part I can estimate a few different prices for you. A basic 3D printed plastic part (ABS, PC or Nylon) from a cheap bureau for a part this size would be around £70. Finish and accuracy wouldn't be the best. A high end supplier the better finish and mechanical properties would be around £200.
Cost for parts made this way is driven by size and material, not complexity. So a part half this size (say 100mm x 70mm) would be 1/8 of the cost (as it's 8 times less volume). £9 to £25 as an estimate.
Equally, double this size would be 8x the cost. £560 to £1600.
I know a CAD designer, but they don't have a GT-R.
Who do we have on the forum? Anyone?

·
Premium Member
13,400 Posts
I know a CAD designer, but they don't have a GT-R.
Who do we have on the forum? Anyone?
Johnny, it's not just the 3D CAD that's involved, the parts would need to be laser scanned and then converted to 3D solid models to accurately replicate any covers. I have the 3D software but not the laser scanning facility (yet!).

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Do we have anyone on the forum with a laser scanner? :D

·
Registered
228 Posts
i can do the 3d CAD work if required :) what file types do you usually print from? STP? STL? IGES?

i usually do 3D CAD work on a volunteer basis :) (outside of doing it for my job anyways :p)

·
Registered
63 Posts
We use STL files, but can convert IGES and STP files OK.
I know someone who does 3D Scanning, but he charges a few hundred pounds to scan and tidy up the file.

·
Registered
228 Posts
i suppose if you got a group buy going the scanning cost could be shared over multiple people so it wouldnt be a huge hit :)

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
What am I looking at in the M600 pic? You make the part which I assume is the white part, then you can finish it, which is where the carbon look comes into it? How is that carbon finished?

There is decent demand in the R35 scene for carbon gear shift covers and parts of the interior. I would also say there are engine covers that could also look good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
We made the main body in our 'Clear ABS-like' material and then had a cosmetic Carbon effect finish on one side by hydro dipping. The Radio, switch and gaitor surround was made in our 'Grey ABS-like' resin. The top pod cover, gear stick and gear knob was our 'Carbon fibre SLS'. The gear stick gaitor was our 'Rubber-like SLS'. The 2 instrument dials, switches and air vents were original parts supplied by Noble.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts