GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help

Hello all,

I have had rebore and pistons replaced and am currently running in my baby. The thing is I need to find a place to get a micro scan on my old piston heads so that I can prove that it was the ceramic turbo that caused the subsequent damage... any ideas

thanks

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
You might find that your local university may be able to help...? Depends what their particular subject bias is.

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Jason,

Bit of a problem. Proving there is ceramic damage to the pistons is simple, all you need is a reflected light microscope which your local University should have - try the Engineering, Physics or Materials Science departments. Or you could try the Ceramic Engineering Forum;
http://www.eng-tips.com/gthreadminder.cfm/lev2/15/lev3/57/pid/326

The difficult bit is proving the ceramics from the turbos actually caused the damage and that the ceramics was the initiator rather than something else causing damage to the turbos. For example the engine may have failed and drawn ceramic parts from the turbos as it failed. If you can prove that the pistons were not the originator you still have to prove that damage was not caused to the turbos before they caused damage to the pistons. Aere you still with me?

You'll have to contact a local University as Peter suggested. Try Leeds as they have some experience in this area of science.

Have you tried the UK Cermaic Research Institute? http://www.aecportico.co.uk/Directory/BCR.shtm

Good hunting
John

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks Fuggles very informative.

This is what happened, my car as I understand was running at standard boost but I have a stage 1 Middlehurst chip, extra oil cooler, triple clutch and extended sump. I was pulling about 5500rpm when POP it went, no big bang and would still run - no smoke but no power from boost. I stopped and cried:(
done 40k so they probably done well but I had Abbey look at this and they said sudden failure

TYVM for all your info guys !!!!!!
Jason

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Jason,

Sorry if this is stupid question and one that I should know the answer to but who are WHA?

Peter.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Peter,

"Warranty holdings associates limited" I think is their full name.

Automotive Consulting Engineers LTD ran the report for them.

·
Registered
178 Posts
My two penneth is be careful about what you post - This is the type of comment that'll get the BBS closed. I'm sure you have strong opinions about WHA, but I'm equally sure they have a perfectly competent legal department.

I'd just hate to see Joss get any second hand grief for all his good work..

On a more positive note, I have a friend that works in insurance and when he had problems with another (I think) warranty company, he referred the matter to the Insurance Ombudsman, complaining that they had not fulfilled their side of the policy. I don't know if he's been successful yet. I'll find out.

Dave

1 - 10 of 10 Posts