GTR Forum banner

What Oil temperature do you see under normal hard road driving?

• Who cares...!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • std. cooling: below 70*C mark

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • std. cooling 70-90*C

Votes: 40 26.3%
  • std. cooling 90-110*C

Votes: 24 15.8%
  • std. cooling 110*C+

• oil cooler below 70*C mark

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • oil cooler 70-90*C

Votes: 64 42.1%
  • oil cooler 90-110*C

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • oil cooler 110*C +

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Are you mad?? You are way off!!

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

I've been wondering what oil temperatures everyone is getting?

The reason I ask is to try to figure out if my oil temp gauge is off , and to choose the right oil grade/weight.

I have a 12 bar oil cooler so expect it to be low but if the temps are below 90*C will I need to use a 10w-50 or 15w-50? Would a 10w-40 or the like not be better...?

I've added a poll for anyones future reference.

Cheers

·
Registered
3,248 Posts
Depends on the outside temp too.

Voted based on road driving, but

I can see 90 on track on zero degrees, or 120 on a hot summers day

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
I briefly debated this with RB motorsport as I was also thinking that for the vast majority of the time, my temps were below 80deg. In the end however I bowed to their knowledge and continued to use 15W-50 racing synthentic and I think most other estbalished tuners will use a similar grade for turbo seal leakage reasons.

I never use more than half revs, half throttle until the temp is over 70deg.

On the track I saw a peak of about 110deg after 4 laps of 5K-8k revs, I have a 19 row mocal cooler.

·
Registered
411 Posts
running R32GTR and HKS Type R Oil cooler kit and relocation. normal cruise just above 70C but on the pedal i will go op just a little :) Btw also run Truust Greddy sump so have som more oil then Stock

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Around town normal driving with an oil cooler, I see around, between 80 and 90, when booting it, it'll go up to 110.

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
Mine hovers around 80 (got a Mocal oil cooler) even booting it a bit it doesn't go above 85-90, only seen 90+ after a long cruise on the Autobahn at about 80-90mph, and then stopping for fuel / piss / coffee and the engine not running to circulate the oil.

·
Registered
110 Posts
on the track i see up too 135 degrees. talked to a lot of people about this varied opinions on whether this is too high. i use very good oil a 13row cooler and big radiator but water temp will still hit 110 and oil 135 on ten lap session on 1 bar boost with standard turbos.

·
Registered
68 Posts
on the track i see up too 135 degrees. talked to a lot of people about this varied opinions on whether this is too high. i use very good oil a 13row cooler and big radiator but water temp will still hit 110 and oil 135 on ten lap session on 1 bar boost with standard turbos.
I have similar issues as you are. My R34 GTR hit 127C after only a couple laps on the track. I lived in Indonesia where temp is around 30-34C. Car is on stock turbos on 1 bar boost as well. car also has no oil cooler or upgraded radiator. My mechanic told me to install dual oil cooler, is it necessary?

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I have similar issues as you are. My R34 GTR hit 127C after only a couple laps on the track. I lived in Indonesia where temp is around 30-34C. Car is on stock turbos on 1 bar boost as well. car also has no oil cooler or upgraded radiator. My mechanic told me to install dual oil cooler, is it necessary?
Easier to fit one larger one.

·
Registered
110 Posts
There is a maximum size you can run before the oil pump starts to struggle though i think ie a 19row cooler is a bit bit for a standard oil pump. Of course i would think that 2 9row coolers woudl be at least as restrictive.

·
Registered
68 Posts
There is a maximum size you can run before the oil pump starts to struggle though i think ie a 19row cooler is a bit bit for a standard oil pump. Of course i would think that 2 9row coolers woudl be at least as restrictive.
Yes, I was told to use dual Greddy coolers, especially because it comes with the oil relocation kit.

Anybody ever compared the Greddy with Mocal? I heard about them before, but never buy their products.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Running two coolers, would that be in series or parallel ?

Series coolers would i.m.o. be rather restrictive with an accompanied pressure loss ?
Interesting to see what others are getting temp wise..I am in Africa where summer stinks and oil temps go crazy..I am using a 19 row Setrab and Setrab thermostatic adapter....track time temps around 110deg C.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts