GTR Forum banner

What Oil temperature do you see under normal hard road driving?

• Who cares...!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • std. cooling: below 70*C mark

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • std. cooling 70-90*C

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • std. cooling 90-110*C

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • std. cooling 110*C+

• oil cooler below 70*C mark

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • oil cooler 70-90*C

Votes: 64 41.6%
  • oil cooler 90-110*C

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • oil cooler 110*C +

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Are you mad?? You are way off!!

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
Running a UK spec R34 GTR so standard nismo oil cooler, most of the time 70deg C when i drive the car. Hot days city use it could go to 90deg C but that is highest i've ever seen my oil temperature. I've use Shell full synthetik 5W30 oil.

The problem here is that context means everything.
My car would hit 70-80 deg most of the time and never see over 90deg on the road even open road spirited driving.
However on the track is a different story. The temps just skyrocket. 120 after 3 laps, 130 after 4-5 by 7 it could be 135.

Turns out now that i'm doing a rebuild the water galleries were chocka block with rust scale and the bearings were starting to wear! so the two combined compound to cause the excessive heat feedback loop. runing a 12 row cooler btw.

Where are the RIPS boys here ? and the other top blokes who run proper cars at events ? They can give us solid real life info here.
We built and raced the Alfa Romeo GTa`s here and we got concerned when temps started reaching 130 Deg C.
I feel 70 and 80 deg C is too cold for oil as well..

Depends which one you mean I know one cracked the block due to a broken engine mount I don't know about others? And I am sure that drag oil temps are completely different to circuit

Depends which one you mean I know one cracked the block due to a broken engine mount I don't know about others? And I am sure that drag oil temps are completely different to circuit
Uhmm, there`s a vid on the Tube where the RB30 chucks a rod ?? They comment that they did not warm the oil sufficiently before the run as a competitor had fallen out and they had to fast forward their run.

I may be wrong, secondhand info here..:confused::confused:

Do you guys still use the std. oil/water heat exchanger in conjunction with the oil cooler ??

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouter, you not worried that 72 deg c is too cold for oil ?? I would be a little concerned that that may be a little low..

Hi guys,my temps are a bit worrying,it is kinda cold in Scotland just now but not freezing but if I'm driving around town I get about 70/80oC but as soon as I go out onto the main roads it drops straight down to the minimum 50oC I hope it a faulty guage as I don't think oil would loose temp so quickly :/

The problem here is that context means everything.
My car would hit 70-80 deg most of the time and never see over 90deg on the road even open road spirited driving.
However on the track is a different story. The temps just skyrocket. 120 after 3 laps, 130 after 4-5 by 7 it could be 135.

Turns out now that i'm doing a rebuild the water galleries were chocka block with rust scale and the bearings were starting to wear! so the two combined compound to cause the excessive heat feedback loop. runing a 12 row cooler btw.
Have the same issue as yours, I will have the water galleries checked sometimes soon :) Cheers mate!

Hi guys,my temps are a bit worrying,it is kinda cold in Scotland just now but not freezing but if I'm driving around town I get about 70/80oC but as soon as I go out onto the main roads it drops straight down to the minimum 50oC I hope it a faulty guage as I don't think oil would loose temp so quickly :/
Odd. What cooler have you got? Yeh got to be the gauge/sensor surely

Looking at the temps you guys have posted, there are a few cars where the oil isn't getting hot enough you want it to get over 70-80C as some of the additives require heat to work properly. You don't want to overcool the oil, 100C is ideal.

Also, the temps are generally within the safe tolerances for a quality 5w-40 (up to 130C average, with higher peaks). Perhaps with a forged build a 10w-50 would be better if the temp gets over 115C or it burns much oil.

Cheers

Tim

my r32 gtr with standard cooling is in the range from 70 to 90.. on the streets.. i think during a race in a trackday go to 90-100.. i hope not much more.. ahah

ps: oem turbos, 360whp ecc ecc

Seeing as this thread pops up anytime anyone votes I thought I'd add my 2p worth.

My oil is never hot if I drive the car easy. Ok, I don't thrash it much ( and I never have done with any car) but I think the highest I've noticed is 76. It's usually 71 or 72 when driving normally. In saying that, it's been cold since I got it so I've never seen it in traffic on a hot day.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.