GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Saw it years ago when Clarkson first "discovered" it. Decided I had to have one when I could afford it. Simple really. It's all about speed, control and rareity.

John

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Grand tourismo:D :D

My mate had been going on about them for ages and then GT came out, I said one day I will have one !!

not dissapointed, only more impressed each time I take it out for a blat.:smokin:

/Steve

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Interesting question....Owned a Renault 19 16v for a year. Nice looking car (gold 17" wheels) with good handling but cost as much as the value of the car to keep on the road (loads went wrong) and traction in the wet was poor. Decided to go for 4wd turbo car and had 10k budget. Choice was mitsi gto, impreza or R32 GTR. Same as Steve, playstation 'allowed' me a test drive and saw how much the engine could be tuned. Therefore my 400 bhp R32 is a mere baby in terms of power output. (like the NSX GT racer in GT2 though;) )

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting reasons guys. I think Gran Turismo played a BIG part in the success of the Skyline.
-Elliot

·
Registered
992 Posts
Skyline interest

Hi Guys,
My first interest came from a car magazine(Top Car) in 1989, A personal import had been bought from World Import cars brought in via Jersey for tax purposes. At the time I hoped one day to have one ( even if it is a GTS Non turbo, still a Skyline anyway!!). But I have 6 videos from the Australian Touring car series 1991 through to 1993 including Bathurst. Inwhich the Skyline GT-R (Godzilla) kicked ass in virtually every round, definately worth having on video. It was that good that they eventually banned it by pulling the plug on Turbo cars, the same hapened here. Thats where my interest started, and has got to apoint where is an obssesion now. As my wife would say "Skyline this...Skyline that, don't you talk about anything else!!!" Even my 5 year old Daughter pointed out a GT-R the other day...I even missed it!!!!.

Regards,

Paul :)

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
Reckoned it was time to change up from my Laguna Executive (Full Williams Bodykit + Koni/Eibach suspension) to something a bit less ordinary.

Went to look at a Scooby and saw a Skyline sitting in the corner of the garage, figured it was out of my price range , then got a pleasant surprise when it turned out they could get me one within my budget.

I wanted a car with performance, feel, looks and individuality. I think I've got it :D

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
My reason is quite like Paul's.
I used to watch all the Aussie Touring Car racing and the R32 GT-R destroyed everything in it's path. I wanted one ever since then and finally got my hands on one in '99. And now I know that it is the most usable 'supercar' (for normal drivers like me) on the planet.:D :D

·
Registered
84 Posts
Bought mine for a couple of reasons...........

I'd missed the buzz that my old Impreza TypeR used to give me when I bought my 330D Sport. Sure the BMW is a far better car than the Subaru, but it's kinda lacking in the rush department. ;)

When the opportunity arose to buy an R33 GTR V-Spec that had belonged to a friend from almost new, it was too good to miss. Especially at the kind of price he was talking about.

So, I've had it for about 2 weeks now!! I feel like it's longer, as I've known the car since 1997, but now it's mine! :D

It's great to open the garage and see it filled with Skyline. Magic!

Matt

P.S - Paul, if you fancy meeting for a beer at any time, I'm only 15 mins away!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Same as Rupert here,

I bought my GTR because I like the size of the exhaust pipe and the cool looking badge that came with the car

Just kidding :p

Simple answer:

GTR = power + traction + handling that no other car in the world can match.

Lots of car have power the GTRs have:

Any American or Australian muscle car with engine size like a bus with a supercharger on it :rolleyes:

Koenig twin turbo F50, Ruf R-turbo. (which cost more then a decent house)

Lots of car have traction the GTRs have:

EVO, WRX, GTO, VR4.........any 4WD sports car.

Lots of cars have handling the GTR have:

Elise, Exige, NSX, Modena, Miata........any mid engine or tiny light weight car.

But no car in the world have all 3 feature combine in one car :smokin:

Enough said.

Jeff

·
Registered
285 Posts
Why a Skyline ?

Most of my cars through the 70's & 80's & 90's were V8's, except a V12 XJ-S (customised body, manual box, and nitrous oxide).
De Tomaso Pantera (from '83) & Longchamp (from '89) both very modified. (V.KR15 reg. now for sale)

Our club ran Supercar Test Days at Castle Combe & Goodwood, and I first saw a Skyline (R32) at one of our events in the early 90's.
Sometimes we'd have 2 or 3 attending, and I became impressed with the 'great performance' with 'no fuss'.

I decided I'd have one one day, for an 'everyday' car.
That day happenned in '97.

No regrets (except all the other cars had 2 exhausts)

Chris
:smokin: (not :smokin: :smokin: )

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I must admit in a sad way my interest in the Skyline was based on both Gran Turismo, and a friend who - after purchasing a Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo - took me out for a drive in it and I was completely blown away.

That, and the fact that they are received with a certain level of respect and awe by local bystanders (who are more used to seeing boy racers in silver 106/206's and Saxos)

:)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Here are my reasons from America,

There are only around 50 in the country!

I bought a model 10 years ago of a R32 GTR. Then I started reading about them. After that, I had to have one! It only took me 10 years to get one.:D Thank you Motorex!

In a Skyline in America, you are a celeb. This can be bad sometimes, every kid in a Honda wants to race you or follow you home.

I have a back ground in auto-cross racing, so I love the car!

Just my 2 cents worth,

Cheers,
Robb

O' ya,
Racing my R32 GTR on The Seattle course on Grand T is AWSOME!

·
Registered
627 Posts
Attractive????

In my search for a performance car (mid-life crisis as my wife calls it) I hired a Porsche Boxster S for the weekend and was swaning around being Mr Swanky pants when I met a R34 V-Spec at the lights. Needless to say a fair amount of eyeballing was done by both of us and he left me standing when the Green showed.

That was it I was hooked on the beautiful rear end (some think its ugly but it really is unique design) and the overall package. However a R34 V-Spec was out of my price range so I picked up my R34 25 GTT quite reasonably.

I am still grinning from ear to ear and as has been said before "Real life Grand Turismo"
:D

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Interesting story R34 GTT Boy. I am getting an R34 GT-t in about 2 and a half years time when I am 18. I couldn't afford a GTR at that time so a GT-t will do for me. Have you got any pics of your R34 GT-t?

Cheers
-Elliot

·
Registered
627 Posts
No Problem

Not a problem. I that I think the GTT is an ideal entry level Skyline, its been pefect for me.

I will dig out the pics tonight and post them.

All the best
:D

·
Registered
225 Posts
Hi

I changed up to my Skyline from an Evo 5.
I felt that it was just not strong enough and was
going to cost a lot of wonga to tune with not a lot
of gain in ponies.
The same amount of money was going to get a lot
more power from the Skyline.
Also not so many Skylines as Evo's.

Cheers Tom.
:D :smokin:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Another!

And Another ! which I think is a work of art in the car world, many would disagree.

You dont see many veiws like this in front of you at the lights! although in my past experience I did have one next to me which soon got in front!

:cool:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts