GTR Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need a to get a battery 2day (i done few searches on here, came up with micra battery 054 or a fto batter 156)

just rang few local places and they only got a micra battery.

is this good enough for my Skyline GTS-T
because the guy at local shop says it wont be powerful enough.

also saw this trickle charger on ebay Trickle Battery Charger Solar Caravan Motorhome Car on eBay, also Other Security Electrical, Security Electrical, Car Accessories, Cars, Parts Vehicles (end time 13-Jan-08 19:33:31 GMT)

Would that be any use if i bought the micra battery? ( i know we hardly get any sun lol)

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had issues with mine stupid little 300 CCA and I just got the biggest CCA I could, that would fit in the space (520CCA).
What a difference! :D

I did have to buy 2 new cables about £5 as the battery had the larger electrodes.

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
For the CTECH battery chargers :

CTEK Battery Chargers & Conditioners

(Try using GOOGLE people)

The solar trickle charger will assist but won't maintain the battery if you have alarms/immobilisers if the car is left standing for long periods of time. The setup I had to get was this :

Sunshine Solar Battery Saver/Maintainer HEAVY Duty! 15 Watt

Plus you would also need :

Battery Charging Regulator 12V - 1.5AMP

Battery wise they do use Nissan Micra batteries, but you could do what I've done & get a conversion so a battery is in the actual boot. I have a red top dry cell battery in mine.

·
Registered
3,071 Posts
i use a CTEK US Multi 3300 (US/Canada version) ive left it on my car for over a month while i was away, came home and it started 1st time, its the same charger i will use when storing any of my cars for long periods, good enough for some of the top manufacturing companies (lambo, Ferrari) good enough for me :)

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
I changed the cables on my R33 and fitted a Heavy duty Exide battery, The original one while able to do the job just didnt seem enough for me as I knew the car would be standing.

You have to alter the battery tray a bit though.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Firstly if you get a trickler, then don't get a cheap one. reason is they don't come with a Non returnable solenoid which when it goes dark drines power from the battery. for one with the Non returnable solenoid they they should be around £30 plus. Any cheaper and it won't have it. You hear loads of people saying that their battery still went flat and this is the reason why(Winter no light charger drains big time). Maplan do both, So make sure you get the dearer one. They do mention it in the ad for the Nonreturn solenoid.

What I would plump for is to go for the dry cell batteries found in aircraft and Aston Martins. They are aroung £100 plus depending on the size, But just weigh up the price of a new battery with a charger? Not much difference and you woun't need another charger or battery in a few years. They pay for itself in a few years. Pay today and save tomorrow.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What has to be done/changed in order to fit these batteries above?

because of the small terminals that are on the original battery...

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
I had a new battery tray made & fitted to hold the redtop in place & obviously the clips changed on the wiring to accept the new terminals.

Easy really :thumbsup:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a new battery tray made & fitted to hold the redtop in place & obviously the clips changed on the wiring to accept the new terminals.

Easy really :thumbsup:
seems quite stright forward, so no wiring needs changing...

i just went around to few local place and they want around 50quid for a micra battery! halfords want 60quid!
might aswel jus change the clips and buy a bigger battery

·
Registered
9,650 Posts
The red tops though being around £100 are well worth it as they last triple the amount of time of normal batteries ...

·
Registered
598 Posts
question about those ctek type trickle chargers/conditioners, can you leave them plugged in with the car alarm on? or depends on alarm?.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts