GTR Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've fitted a new battery in my GTR a few months ago. Recently its been loosing all power in a matter of days and having to jump start the car.
I'm sure its not the battery on the way out. The car hasn't had any new electrical items fitted. So what could be drawing so much power?

Who do I go to to get it sorted? Car alarm people or a GTR tuner?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
sometimes even if you haven't fitted anything new, the old wiring could be playing up.

Also check the earth/ground connections while you at it because it is essential for a good spark. May not be related to the (dis)charging problem but is good time to also check that.

Test the alternator while the car is running by measuring the voltage across the battery terminals wiith a multimeter.

·
Registered
618 Posts
sometimes even if you haven't fitted anything new, the old wiring could be playing up.

Test the alternator while the car is running by measuring the voltage across the battery terminals wiith a multimeter.
And always messure at 2000 rpm when talking alternators.
- And please let the engine be running for a while, because the voltage will not rise before the battery voltage is up at the same level as the alternator's maximum voltage capacity.
If you got lets say 11 volts on the battery, and the alternator gives you 14 - then you will just be getting a lot of ampere's - and that is also important to messure.

How to messure the capacity of the alternator: Turn every electrical installation on, then you should be able to read the maximum amount of ampere that your alternator can deliver.

To be honest, I think your problem is the electric installations that are bugging around with you. Messure the ampere used by the car when everything is turned of.

/Swobber

·
Registered
855 Posts
If the battery checks out to be ok, and you've done the obvious and checked you have'nt left the interior light on (or boot light), then remove the negative terminal off the battery and put a multimeter between the battery post and the removed terminal. With the multimeter switched to read AMPS, it shouldn't read anything higher than 0.02 amps.
If it reads higher than this, start pulling fuses one by one to see if the amps drop. Replace each fuse straight after, if the amps dont drop, otherwise you wont know which fuse goes where.
Once you've found the fuse that drops the ampage, you can look into what that fuse powers up, and pin-point the fault.

·
Registered
991 Posts
did you fit one of thoes daft tiny ones?? I've had the leads changed and fitted a bigger one, no trouble now, but before if I left the car 10 days or so eg. to go on holiday the battery would go flat
size does matter ooow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.