GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi
Haven't been on here for ages, but hello to all the good friends I made on here, particularly the Bruntingthorpe contingent, and also Webster who bought my Litchfield Stage 4 GTR, and of course Fuggles who arranged the brilliant trip to Japan, and all of my fellow Japan trip travellers!

It's hard to find a car to replace the GTR, but if like me you simply want a change, what have you moved on to from your GTR? I confess I nearly bought a Porsche Turbo S, but found this SLS sounded so much better...

I get it on Wednesday. What have you moved on to?
Regards
Rhodri
PS I remember the moderators on this forum were particularly hot, but I think this is the right section for this post?

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
Hi Rhodri,

Good to hear from you, that is a serious bit of kit you have there.
Still in the GTR will be 5 years next April and cannot think of anything to replace it.

You must bring the SLS to Brunters my brother brought his Panamera turbo via one of the other clubs.

Cheers

Paul

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
Rhodri great to see you back on here buddy.

Also nice to see there was a little money left after doing up your house!

Great car BTW, they sound they nice even if they're not as great to drive...... ;)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I luuuurve the SLS, a wonderful car with THAT iconic engine!

Interested to know your initial thoughts v Stage 4 GT-R?

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Hi Rhodri,

Good to hear from you, that is a serious bit of kit you have there.
Still in the GTR will be 5 years next April and cannot think of anything to replace it.

You must bring the SLS to Brunters my brother brought his Panamera turbo via one of the other clubs.

Cheers

Paul

Yep, 5 years with my GTR and 16 with the R33, sorry chap but a seagull winged German car aint gonna cut it for me, big, noisy, and don't go round corners

Reactions: nick the tubman

·
Registered
644 Posts
Yep, 5 years with my GTR and 16 with the R33, sorry chap but a seagull winged German car aint gonna cut it for me, big, noisy, and don't go round corners
SLS AMG is quiet a special vehicle in all honesty.. My bro had it for a year before he sold it for the MP4.. Amazing car with soo much grunt, leaves you smiling all dayy :) around all the corners even though most of the time you wont be going straight round em :p

·
Premium Member
13,363 Posts
I was looking at alternatives yesterday as my GT-R went a few weeks ago but I'm looking for more sensible alternatives for next year. Super sensible would be a Land Rover Discovery 4 but, after hearing so many stories about poor reliability with JLR products, that's on the back burner. Next on the list was the Audi RS5 but I wasn't exactly overwhelmed when I looked at it in the flesh. Last one I looked at was the Merc A45 AMG which is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing but still didn't grab me. I want an everyday car that has a bit of performance but I'm left cold by what I see so I haven't moved to anything yet.

Nice choice with the SLS though, 8 cylinders will always give a great soundtrack.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
sold the GTR over a month ago... :(

got the new Ranger Rover (not sport) on order.
Also got a f10 bmw 530d

I already know as soon as i can (may be a year odd) ill be selling the bmw for another gtr. Genuinely looked at many other cars including the SLS, 458, mp4....they really don't compare. I even looked at an aventador and i could not see myself enjoying it daily like the gtr. (its so annoying getting in and out). if anyone of them had the ATTESA E-TS AWD System of the GTR id take a 458 or mp4.

Stage 4.5 with litchfield suspension + better brakes. could also add some light weight seats to drop 50-60kg. Would still be much cheaper.

secretly im hoping ill get some news on the r36 with in 12 months. 7 speed box, a bit lighter...:)

·
Premium Member
2,041 Posts
I was looking at alternatives yesterday as my GT-R went a few weeks ago but I'm looking for more sensible alternatives for next year. Super sensible would be a Land Rover Discovery 4 but, after hearing so many stories about poor reliability with JLR products, that's on the back burner. Next on the list was the Audi RS5 but I wasn't exactly overwhelmed when I looked at it in the flesh. Last one I looked at was the Merc A45 AMG which is a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing but still didn't grab me. I want an everyday car that has a bit of peformance but I'm left cold by what I see so I haven't moved to anything yet.

Nice choice with the SLS though, 8 cylinders will always give a great soundtrack.
M135i is fast, fun and a bargain

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
got the new Ranger Rover (not sport) on order.
Over the old one I found the new touchscreen controls really cheap with a poor resolution screen.
Something they really need to update when it's facelifted as cars costing less than half have better touchscreens.

Which engine did you go for?

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Over the old one I found the new touchscreen controls really cheap with a poor resolution screen.
Something they really need to update when it's facelifted as cars costing less than half have better touchscreens.

Which engine did you go for?
i went for the 4.4. A lot of the reviewers said the 3.0 was enough but for some reason i found the 4.4 to be better around bends, more like the new sport. its has a bit more weight and extra dampers at the front if i can remember. I couldnt feel the extra weight, was defo more controlled and pulled much better.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
i went for the 4.4. A lot of the reviewers said the 3.0 was enough but for some reason i found the 4.4 to be better around bends, more like the new sport.
Good choice.
The 4.4 has a form of active suspension the 3.0 lacks.

I tested both and by comparison the 3.0 rolls more and dives under braking like a boat.

Hated it.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
Good choice.
The 4.4 has a form of active suspension the 3.0 lacks.

I tested both and by comparison the 3.0 rolls more and dives under braking like a boat.

Hated it.
couldn't agree more and also with the screen comment.

ummmm....massage seats......also pre heat/cool function will be great of those cold winter and hot summer days.

just a guess but the screen res will most likely be due to the duel view technology. they must be using a passive filter so you see either only the odd or even lines of the screen. like a 3d movie.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
I went from an 09/59 Gtr to a facelift 11 plate yellow Gtr :D

Just upgraded my daily for a 2013 fiesta ST 250hp in a fiesta will be fun!

Love the SLS , enjoy :)

1 - 20 of 70 Posts