GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At the moment i own a skyline, looking to get rid and get a sensible car...maybe.
Im thinking a focus, getting sick of the running costs of the skyline as ive had it about 4 yrs ish now.
I know going to a focus will be a real shock, what other cars would you recommend rather than just going down to a focus? i was thinking about a civic type r? but will it be much cheaper to run than the skyline?

Cheers

·
Registered
4,410 Posts
If you want low running costs, but don't want to take a massive hit with the power then I'd recommend a BMW 330d.

It's a 200bhp diesel engine that gives around 40mpg and you've got the BMW build quality, chassis and RWD fun. You can also chip them very easily if you want to cover all the cars behind you in soot, haha.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks xaero1....any other ideas people ?, replies arent exactly flying in here are they !

·
Premium Member
4,975 Posts
Don't know what car you have or what you want to spend.

Any of the VW Group TDi's.
Get a tyre deal and then chip it.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Wot size of car do you need? Personally i wouldnt get a civic type r. The new one comes out soon and i although i have not seen it myself it supposed to be awesome (for a civic). This may affect the market value of the type r's now so you could buy one and lose a small fortune in a very small amount of time. This may not happen though.....
On a totally sensible car, id have an audi a3 over a focus, or if you wanted a bit of space then maybe scooby wagon? Sensible fuelling if you get a uk car and has a bit of poke too. Just take the gold wheels off.....

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bajie----I have an r33 gtr.
A focus is as low as i would go, basically i want something cheap to run (compared to the skyline), fun to drive and not cost a fortune if things go wrong!.......if such a car exists!
I had a e30 m3 before and can honestly say it was amazing, brilliant engine etc and a great package although obviously not as fast as the skyline everything felt "right" about it.
So im not that bothered about balls out speed, it has to be a balance of quality in there also, my m3 was a 1986 model and build quality was superb, esp when going from a renault 5 turbo ! (bag of shite )and although the skyline is good, build quality is not, so i want a bit of everything if possible.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
How much of a spend? 2nd hand or new, FWD, RWD, 4WD, petrol or diesel - we will need some info to go on before we can really help you :) .

Personally the Civic Type R, a 2000/2001 Scoob WRX (ugly but what the fcuk), diesel BMW can all be had for < £10,000 now and are cheap to run (the BMW "can" be expensive to run if you go to a main dealer or something goes wrong - which happens a lot with BMWs especially the electrics :( ).

The Teg Type R, Accord Type R and FTOs are a lot cheaper and very cheap to run also and the Hondas really are nearly bulletproof.

New cars with a bit of money behind you - new WRX, VW Golf Gti or redeye Diesel (and chip it) or Civic Type R. All are going to lose money like a virgin in a wh*re house so my own choice would be a 2000/2001 WRX or 2000/2001 Civic Type R or if doing very big miles then the diesel BMW.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts