GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just started to get a little slippage recently. I currently have just under 400bhp and a bit over 300lb/ft torque and use the car daily... Hopefully over the next 3-4 months I'd like to join the 500+club so would like a clutch to suit that...

I should add that this standard clutch has only lasted about 12k before starting to slip, and I am very hard on clutches - Had the AP one in the Impreza but I'm not sure the Skyline one will be strong enough for the abuse I'll give it :rolleyes:

I don't want to spend the earth, but fear I may have to...

So being a Skyline clutch novice what do I need to look for Single, Twin or Triple? And what will they cost? How long does fitting take (not long I understand)?

Cheers

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Crutch

been a thread on this previously my friend:)

HKS twin or Triple, if you want 500hp then have a twin but if it were me I would just got straight for the Triple and have done with it. It will last forever, take loads of punishment and keep coming back for more.

HKS have recently improved thier clutches and the old clanky noises from the clutch are now almonst non existent, ask M19 GTR on here ( Tony ) and he will tell you how good his R33 one is.

Theres not much difference in price between twin and triple ( £1200 / 1400 ) .

I would lob in the triple, forget what hp its good for and the clutch to suit that hp, got straight in for the monster and have done with it, at least that way you can put more and more power thru the car and not have to worry if the crutch can take it.

:) Andy

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Agree its been done before...

Just interested in some more feedback. From what I've read elsewhere big singles are much friendly and since I use the car for loads of mile and daily often in traffic I don't want something which is particularly tricky to use.

I guess I am the worst kind of driver for clutches really... Loads of abuse but want something I can use with ease for lots of miles on a daily basis!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Anothe option would be to take a Nismo GMax twin plate. Will do way and way beyond 500 PS. Great clutch.

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
Some info from me.
My original clutch was an old geiken triple plate. One of the plates was cracked and the clutch was quite vicious.
Rod Bell recommended a single plate with a Nismo cover for the road. It is a joy to drive and actually is easier to drive then the micra I have (which judders). In traffic jams it is great. But......
At Santa Pod it was a different story. Too many revs i.e. about 5.5 - 6k and the clutch spins up and the lining comes from under the bonnet (don't tell Rod this;) ). Getting it off the line without bogging down or clutch slipping is very hard and getting a 12.8 quarter takes about 4 - 5 tries:(
Unfortunately, as I will eventually ruin this lovely clutch if I keep doing this, I have postponed any further action at the pod and will aim to replace it with a twin plate geiken which is supposed to be nearly as good as the set up I have now without the slip.
Only my opinion by the way;)
Depends what you want to do with the car....road driving.....track days.....drag starts......diggler (4 wheels spinning) starts:D

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Erm, I guess I am road driving with diggler starts if possible ;)

So sounds like a single is out then :( Thats a shame as they are very well priced!

As for Twin Plate Geikens, I thought I read that Ian Sutton had one which started to slip at just over 400bhp :confused:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Daves only stopped doing it becuz its the end of the show season!!!!;)

Well see it again I am sure in 2003!!!

Si

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
HI MATE

ID SAY GO FOR A HKS TRIPLE THE UPDATED VERSION LIKE I HAVE IN MINE PROBABLY THE QUIETEST TRIPLE I HAVE EVER HEARD AND IT TAKES ANY THING YOU PUT IT THROUGH. AS IM NOT SURE WHAT POWER I WANT YET I JUST GOT THE TRIPLE.

WHEN I WAS LOOKING FOR A CLUTCH EVERY1 WAS SAYING GO FOR A TWIN YOU DONT NEED A TRIPLE AND DONT GO FOR THE HKS THERE TO HARSH BUT IM HAPPY TO SAY THAT IM WELL PLEASED WITH IT AND GLAD I LISTENED TO ANDY (DIRK-SUMO POWER) AND GARY (GT-ART).

HOPE THIS HELPS
TONY

PS: SPEAK TO ANDY ABOUT IT THATS WHO SUPPLIED MINE.

PPS: AND I ALSO DRIVE MINE EVERY DAY TAKES A BIT GETTING USED TO BUT OK AFTER AND NOT TO HEAVY.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts