GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After trying my first 1/4 mile run in my car and getting bad clutch slip in 1st gear i think it is time to upgrade, it also bites way up the pedal now.
I think it is stock but cant tell.

Anyway my question is what clutch would you guys suggest as i only really want to put a clutch in once, i am planning on going the GTSS/GTRS route in the future so i need it to be able to handle 600bhp no trouble, i use my car for road driving (so dont really want no on/off type clutch) as well as the odd trackday and 1/4 mile run so what would you reccomend?

Also any feedback on where to get one I would be gratefull.

Is there any points to watch out for on removing a R33 GTR gearbox?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
exedy twin, lovely clutch once you get used to it ,and will handle 600 bhp no probs

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does this come with a flywheel and everything, how much are we looking at for one?
How much bhp can it handle?
Thanks for feedback.

·
Registered
2,753 Posts
i was told 700bhp max and it does come with a flywheel give abbey a call for a price there not cheap!

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
After trying my first 1/4 mile run in my car and getting bad clutch slip in 1st gear i think it is time to upgrade, it also bites way up the pedal now.
I think it is stock but cant tell.

Anyway my question is what clutch would you guys suggest as i only really want to put a clutch in once, i am planning on going the GTSS/GTRS route in the future so i need it to be able to handle 600bhp no trouble, i use my car for road driving (so dont really want no on/off type clutch) as well as the odd trackday and 1/4 mile run so what would you reccomend?

Also any feedback on where to get one I would be gratefull.

Is there any points to watch out for on removing a R33 GTR gearbox?

Thanks for any help.
OK....I would suggest you do some homework first :eek: :chuckle:

I too have been down this line of thought
Firstly is it a drag car you want to build????
As if thats the case, then dont go for the GTSS turbo's or gtrs ones either

Also, unless you have a 2.8 kit, you wont get a reliable 600 bhp on either of those turbo set ups
Unless you have the lumpiest cams poss(no good for road use) and a load of other goodies

I have GTSS turbo's a great set up so I am told by the almighty Danoh from Abbey, but will be maxed out even with cams at around 550bhp
Thats safely run, not lets see how far we can push it :chairshot and then BOOM!

anyhow to cut a long story short, if to save money and time in the future
i would suggest a nismo coppermix clutch a single will handle 400 appx and twin around 650
and they are like a stock clutch to use

if you want to do mucho launcho, then go for the racing triples(hard to control everyday though)
take it from me, i have a hks triple(overkill) but it was a good price at the time and all i could afford

John

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info John.
I know the gtss set up will never be able to produce 600bhp but i just put that in the post so people reccomend a clutch which is more than strong enough to cope.
Can the twin coppermixe's handle a fair bit of abuse on the track and the odd 1/4 mile run?
I have heard the triples are bad news for driving on the road but i suppose at least you know you have a clutch which can handle a bit of abuse.
Just out of interest how much BHP can the GTRS set up flow?

Andy thanks for the advice on the Exedy, i will get a price.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
yeah I got a new OSgiken twin plate cheap and had it fitted for a third of the price a crappy cinquecento clutch cost me to fit!! the clutch at first was a really evil sod - bite point was really low down and it was either on or off - stalled it so many times trying to pull away gently at lights - had to give ppl a headstart or risk blatting into the back of them with the sharp pull away! however a few months on and its bedded in nicely, its really softened up with everyday use but can still lay down the power brilliantly when I hoof it!
dave (mava) has an exedy in his and he reckons its a great clutch altho its probably nearly killed him numerous times in busy traffic!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK thanks for the advice guys.
Where is the best place to source a decent and reasonably priced clutch?
Do the OS Giken twins come complete with a flywheel?

·
Registered
467 Posts
I have an ATS triple plate carbon clutch on my GTR33. I can assure you that this ia a fantastic clutch. Feels like stock, very driveable and can launch hard without significant wearing on the plates after one year of use. Amazing. Ask Gary at GTART. He can give you more advice.

Henk 道の定規

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the feedback.
In peoples opinions is it worth getting a nismo slave cylinder?

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have just fitted an ATS twin plate carbon clutch, first impressions are very good though still bedding it in at the moment-drives pretty much like stock!:clap: :clap: :clap:

Nismo slave cyl. is a must, fitted this yesterday after having the ATS in for a week. It made a massive difference, was lighter than stock!! Not much heavier than my mondeo clutch which is pretty light.

I did replace the clutch fluid at the same time, which may have been causing problems as it must have been the original 14yr old fluid. It was heavily contaminated with water-after disconnecting old slave cyl. the fluid that came out looked like milk!! :eek: :eek:

Even if you dont replace the slave cyl. make sure you change the clutch fluid :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
exeddy triple plate.... i was very impressed when i had mine fitted. very reasonable to drive around town, as i do every day when the bastard is not broken!:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So how much are those ATS carbon twins?
Thanks for the advice on the slave cylinder Steve

·
Registered
330 Posts
So how much are those ATS carbon twins?
Thanks for the advice on the slave cylinder Steve
I bought mine fron Nengun though I did fit it myself, I think GTART sell them in the uk. No idea of uk prices though there was one in the parts section for sale at £1350 IIRC.

They are more expensive than the average twin plate though worth the extra was the general impression I got from a search on here, though I have never driven any other car with a 'normal' twin so no idea personally how they compare.

You will also need to factor in the cost of other parts to fit the clutch, You will need a new thrust bearing & sleeve, I also replaced the clutch fork pivot with the stronger Nismo item, Nismo gearbox mount & changed the gearbox oil.

If you have an R33 you may also need to convert the clutch from pull to push if it hasn't been done, the ATS are push only.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts