GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to get a dash cam but really confused as there is a lot of different ones available, can anyone suggest one, what I need is a full HD 1080, but I do not need it to record the speed, only the journey, the reason for this is if you do some spirited driving the and get caught the police could gain the footage and do me.
I have looked at the blackvue but it has the GPS of which I do not know if you can switch it off?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bobby

·
Registered
148 Posts
I use a LS430W DOD | HOME
Has build in gps, some models don't have gps though

I think almost every dashcam has a settings to disable the build in gps function so it doesn't show speeds.
In my country I don't even think its legal to confiscate the dashcam footage and present it as evidence in court.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the link, can anyone say if a Dash cam has GPS that you have the option to switch it off? as all the latest ones comes with it built in.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Bobby, there are so many out there is really depends what you want to spend.

I have personally used the Blackvue 380 and 400 (there are newer version now) quite a lot on our fleet at work and in my own cars.
We have also tried the Roadhawk which seems good too.

On most cameras you can turn off the speed if you want to.
GPS is still on but no speed is displayed on the screen or recorded on the footage.
Just check before you buy.

One of the fellow GT-R owners on here runs DogCamSport and they sell the Roadhawk, he was at Silverstone showing us.
On that you can also drop the files into RaceRender and make videos, the software is all included.

There are cheap versions out there too, but personally I think it's worth paying a little more for backup. Roadhawk has a 2 year warranty.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your right you pay for what you get, the roadhawk does look good I 'm researching it at the mo.

Bobby

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just contacted Roadhawk and they said they cannot remove the GPS speed recorder to the camera, so still researching....

Bobby

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Just another one I saw when looking just now: DOD LS430W ~£150 from Amazon

Quite an interesting site that and some are recommending getting a cam without the screen because 1) they're often rubbish screens, 2) they can be distracting, 3) you don't need it (some can easily be viewed through your phone with a free app), 4) adds to the size, 5) increases battery drain, & 6) it makes them more expensive than they need to be. I have been considering a F&R one for a while but now may get one without a screen and with switchable speed

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know its big but you can switch off the display if you like, also the ease of use is really good, and no speed recording unless you connect the GPS to it, hears a really good review..
http://youtu.be/H5de7zgUhOI

Bobby

·
Real men use a H-Pattern.
12,027 Posts
Whether the speed is shown or not makes no difference. Should any video ever need to be examined, road markings, street furniture, etc, and simple mathematics will tell the Police exactly how fast a vehicle was travelling.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Whether the speed is shown or not makes no difference. Should any video ever need to be examined, road markings, street furniture, etc, and simple mathematics will tell the Police exactly how fast a vehicle was travelling.
Yes but why make it easy for them. Let them work for their wonga :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes but why make it easy for them. Let them work for their wonga :)
Your right there, even if your in the wrong "you don't admit it"

Bobby

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Because making life awkward for Plod always works out well.
:chuckle:
Being deliberately awkward or obstructive is not a good idea. Failing to have speed hard coded just means that have to break out the calculator - still a darn site better for them than having no camera at all.

Anyway, back on track, I am seriously considering this one actually: Blackvue DR650GW HD 2CH - In Car Full HD Dash Cam

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
13,345 Posts
Interesting reading this. The OP appears to want the benefits of catching other people up to no good but avoiding incriminating himself with the same device:confused:

Whatever happened to taking the rough with the smooth?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts