GTR Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
K so during head rebuild on my rb26 in lack of my questioning an information from seller i bought tomie 290' cams what turbos / turbo do i go with an what kinda manifold ect, i wanted to have 700 whp an mostly a sumer dd help?

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
So do you want 700whp on 94 octane or race gas? The reason I ask is that the amount of boost you can run, and the amount of power that you can make for a given amount of compressor flow varies between different fuels.

To give an idea, if you were after 700whp on race gas then I would be looking at something like a Borg Warner EFR8374 - should be good for in the area of 600whp on pump gas (depending on dyno, tuner etc), extremely responsive and also capable of 700whp+ on a decent race gas (something like C16, Q16, or E85).

If you want 700whp on pump gas then you'll need to be looking at a fairly serious turbo, potentially in the realms of something like a Garrett GTX4294R - the kind of thing which is likely to have 1000rpm+ more lag, but also give you the capability of in the region of 1000whp on race gas. Reason for such a big step up in turbo is basically you'll need to keep the boost quite a bit lower on pump gas, as well as more quite a bit more air at that boost level - so much more ability to move air and exhaust gas. Again it depends on the dyno, the tuner and the overall quality of your setup.... making 700whp on pump gas is quite a different challenge to making it on race gas.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im unsure if its legal to run race gas in road so id be going with 94 pump gas, well my main concern is when turbos or turbo will spool mainly more power the better, im just starting to understand all these variables so any insite is awsome man thx

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
OK, is your preference to get near to 700whp but with as much response as possible - or to primarily be able to get >700whp, but hopefully retain some response still? Those are very big cams for a street car by the way...

This is basically the "biggest" turbo I know of which is not a big frame turbo, basically as far as you can go without going to a T51R, GT42R or the likes of those things but it can pack a HELL of a punch:
Forced Performance Turbochargers: FP HTA GT3794R Ball Bearing Turbocharger

They are starting to be used on twin turbo V8s in place of some of the larger turbos (to make 1500hp+!) and have been used in EVOs and Subarus for quite a while to great success, the best results being around 1000whp on race gas and lots of boost on little 2litre engines. The only time I have been aware of them being used on straight 6s is on Ford Falcon XR6s (NZ and Oz market only - 4litre straight six) and they have made 600whp comfortably on pump gas on stock motors.

Unfortunately I can't share what exactly to expect on a Skyline with one as I am currently unaware of one being tried on an RB, but everything I have seen suggest they can flow really really well their size and are quite flexible in the fact that they seem happy to make good power on a big engine on moderate boost, or on a small motor on huge boost. How much power again would come down to the tuner, the setup, dyno etc - but I reckon with a T4 twin scroll turbine housing (with your cams I'd say that'd be the way to go, especially without a HUGE turbine) it would potentially make for a hell of a pump gas turbo.... and if you decided to run race gas then things could get very very serious. I'd not want to promise 700whp on pump gas, but if anything which is not the kind of thing you see on drag-only cars (ie, capable of making good boost by 5000rpm) is going to make that power I suspect this is one of the most likely candidates.

I'd be inclined to put it onto a T4 twin scroll manifold from 6boost in Australia or Sinco in New Zealand - there may be good options more locally to you which I am unaware of but the units I mentioned are quality ones I am aware of which are capable of supporting big hp. I'm not sure what else you have or need clarification on. Might be worth updating the topic with a clearer description so you get more bites as there are a lot of folks here who have been there done that.

Do you have any other thoughts or indication of preferences on your setup? Cost limitations?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I may have to reread later tonight, ues my goal is 700whp with pumpgas an asmuch responsiveness aspossiable, cost limits pre much one big priced object at a time ie like 3000cdn

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
OK. Obviously ask questions if you want clarification on things, and do you own research (including talking to your tuner) as it is obviously a fair bit of money to throw around.

Unfortunately unless you are replicating an exact setup and running it with the same dyno and tuner then it is hard to predict the exact outcome of a combination of parts - if you are hoping to hit 700whp with the best possible spool then the problem is you need the turbo and engine setup which 700whp is its safe limit... obviously anything which makes more than 700whp will have extra lag to go with it, but if you have 700whp as the bare minimum then you probably need some headroom. That is why I asked what balance you are looking for if you had to compromise somewhere?

There is also the fact that 700whp on pump gas is a big ask at the best of times, there aren't many cars running around with that kind of power.

For what it's worth I'd go for a Borg Warner EFR9180 or a ForcedPerformance GT3794R HTA with a large twin scroll housing if I were looking for around 700whp on pump gas- and live with it if it didn't quite reach the target in light of the fact that even with those size turbos on an RB26 there will be quite a lot of lag and it will be a street car. Different people like different things of course.

If you were running with a 3litre then I'd be saying go straight for a Garrett GTX4294R

1 - 9 of 9 Posts