GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The BMW 5-litre V10 was voted the best by the International Engine of the Year Awards 2005, but I think the Audi's new V8 in the RS4 could be up there.

Obliviously the RB26DETT for it's potential to support such high Bhp outputs.

Honda's F20C - one of the highest bhp/litre normally aspirated engines.

Auto Union Type C V16-cylinder engine + roots charger - For 1936 this must have been a monstor @ 520.0 bhp 630 lb-ft

1951 BRM British Racing Motors V16 - for the noise

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Merlin here too,

others of note...

Otto's original
Diesel's original
Honda Vtec especially the s2000
RB26
Audi FSI (getting close to the original Otto patent)
BMW's E36 Evo for breaking a lot and costing estate agents about £2000 to fix :D just gotta love that Double Vanos money pit.
Big old Yank V8s
Mazda Rotary
BMW diesels
Porsche and the air cooled 911
All the old pre-war engines with big blowers on them :smokin:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
senna said:
Rolls Royce Merlin. End of discussion
Yeah Merlin it is.
They used Caburettor icing to the advantage of cooling the boost from the superschager, you also had to change gear on the suppercharger.

It is afantastic engine

·
Registered
505 Posts
it had around 1200hp iirc ill go check now. :D wen they first put it into a road car it had around 800hp without the supercharger..amazing for its time
EDIT:some models reached over 2000hp :O..gets my vote all day long

·
Registered
1,651 Posts

The Merlin V12 27 Litre, 4 valves per cylinder, gear driven overhead camshfts, not bad for the 30's
The Jetengine has been the one that has had the biggest effect on each one of our lives.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,564 Posts

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
R0B said:
i would go for the honda b16 as it was so far ahead of its time.
Have to agree.... For a 'modern' (ish) small engine, this still has sooo much potential & sounds scary at high revs

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
TBH, whilst the B16 is a cracking engine, it isnt really any better than the Beams variant 3SGE of Toyota and imho the VVTL-i system Toyota uses on the 2ZZGE in the fast celica's and corolla t-sport is a better system.

Quite partial to the old ****el motor as well.

S

·
0 Posts
Of course there are more advanced forms of combustion - but listen to a Merlin at full chat, shut your eyes and listen and imagine what that engine and the planes that were built around achieved.

There is no finer tribute to the suck and the squeeze, the bang and the blow.

Fantastic.

S

·
0 Posts
nigel f said:
Yeah Merlin it is.
They used Caburettor icing to the advantage of cooling the boost from the superschager, you also had to change gear on the suppercharger.

It is afantastic engine
Im big on engine note, last summer at the Sandown Air Show these fellas caned the sh|t out of their Gazelles and they had the decency to do it right above my house:

Loop the loop in a gazelle and it bends the air molecules in such a way as anyone watching points at it and say 'that bl00dy thing is going to fall out of the sky'
But it doesn't.
And that is fantastic too.
:smokin: :smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
nigel f said:
Theres not may machines I like more than the skyline, but the Gazelle is one.
They are the best single engine helicopter around.
That's the point Nigel, it's only got one engine!!:( If that brakes, gravity will accelerate it VERY quickly!:eek: (I've still not been in one Nig!).

Oh,...........and I couldn't agree more about the Merlin.:D When you see a Spitfire, you just have to stop, look and listen! :smokin: The Lancaster's not too shabby either!;)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts