this has broken out on another thread

what does a standard r34 gtr weigh?

many thanks
gav

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
well it's not in the faq's and the search returned empty. lots of people talking about how fast their full weight cars are, but no-one actually saying what that weight is

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
anybody disagree with 1560kg?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
standard

e2a
well why not all three, since you're being so helpful?

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the reply ax

may i ask, have you weighed it?

and is it standard?

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
This was the weight of my car with me in it and half full tank. I weigh 90kg. So without driver, the R34 is around 1650kg. This was a V-spec UK model.

/P

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
performance car, in their r34 buying guide say 1660kgs for a standard car

that would be 200 more than an early 32, at 1460kgs?

·
Registered
3,585 Posts
guess thats why a 32 is a quicker and better handling car? that would be because the 34 its a bigger car. also does the 32 have the same safety as a 34? airbags etc?

and to add, i have a 34, i brought it because it has 4 seats. There are other cars out there with 2 seats that i would of had instead if i wanted 2 seats or more to the point a lighter car.

out of intrest whats you reason for asking about the weight?

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Gav's trying to be clever !!

:D :D

The weights are easily findable on Google.

The trouble is...

A: Nissan and most other manufacturers post kerb weights that dont always allow for fluids and fuel etc
B: Alot of our cars are modified in different ways so if you were to take them all to a weigh bridge you'd end up with different answers
C: half a tank of fuel probably adds 30kgs or more but is it half, or a quarter, or 3/4 and is your gauge accurate and have you filled up with screen washer etc etc
D: Are your scales accurate, a weighbridge might be, but maybe to no closer than 25kg, a set of race scales might be, so long as they havent been damaged and are calibrated etc

So if you are trying to compare cars once released into the public domain they can quickly be given as all sorts of random numbers !!

If you look on Wikipedia the published kerb weights are there to see easy enough, so Gav's simply fishing !!!

Heres a link....Nissan Skyline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

R32GTR 1430kg
R33GTR 1530kg
R34GTR 1540kg

Is there really any point Gav ?? No one in the history of this forum has ever suggested that theres a 300kg weight difference except you !!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
guess thats why a 32 is a quicker and better handling car? that would be because the 34 its a bigger car. also does the 32 have the same safety as a 34? airbags etc?

and to add, i have a 34, i brought it because it has 4 seats. There are other cars out there with 2 seats that i would of had instead if i wanted 2 seats or more to the point a lighter car.

out of intrest whats you reason for asking about the weight?
the early r32's are lighter as they don't have the side impact protection door beams that the later cars have, so that's clearly a safety issue.
unless you put in a decent cage, but that would clearly be impractical if like you, you want to retain easy access to the rear bench

to answer your last,
a. because someone claimed standard 34's weigh 1560,
and
b. the comparison to 32's because i'm arguing that a lighter car is a better starting point, if speed down the lanes is your thing

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i take it this has broken out of "a cheap tuned r34" thread then since you are comparing it to your r32 then?
absolutely right

i suggested that rather than a cheap, tuned R34 the OP tune himself an r32, as they're cheaper and lighter to begin with, and that he'd end up with more for his money

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gav's trying to be clever !!

:D :D

If you look on Wikipedia the published kerb weights are there to see easy enough, so Gav's simply fishing !!!

Is there really any point Gav ?? No one in the history of this forum has ever suggested that theres a 300kg weight difference except you !!
asking the owners club for the correct facts would only be seen as fishing by the person who is in danger of being contradicted.
plus i trust actual owners more than wikipedia

on the second 'point', my car weighs 1320-1340 kg, allowing for weighbridge inaccuracies, 1/4 tank gas and no driver.
if standard 34's do in fact, weigh close to 1660 kgs, then i make that a difference of :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
rather than a cheap, tuned R34 the OP tune himself an r32, as they're cheaper and lighter to begin with, and that he'd end up with more for his money
I actually agree with this statement !!

:D

The only things I didnt agree with were..

I dont agree that the 32 is the ultimate skyline, I think all 3 are virtually identical and can be made to weigh almost exactly the same and happen to prefer 34's although obviously theres a cost implication
I dont agree that theres a 300kg weight difference between 32's and 34's and the very early "lightweight" R32's are something like the first 50 cars produced so I think they can be safely discounted and they're only about 20-30 kilos lighter anyway !!
And I dont agree that Gav has the best B-road car in the UK

Other than that I think a cost conscious buyer would be better to start with a car thats already got some of the goodies he wants in that can be retained like ECU, bigger IC, Radiator, exhaust and perhaps suspension and brakes, and then can have some freedom to mod the rest as he sees fit perhaps selling smaller turbos, piping, filters, fueling to help with the costs needed for a much larger setup.

I'd still get an Evo or a Scoob if I wanted the ultimate B-road car though :p :D and save myself 25% of the cost over a Skyline while I was at it !!

J.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts