GTR Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

Being a GTI-R owner, most of the turbo's i hear about are just called "stage 1" ... through to "stage 6". There is a GTI-R being built in Europe that has an HKS3037 going on.

Now, can somebody please explain to me, what do all these different numbers mean ? I have read so many times about 2510's, 2530's, 2540's and so on...yet this means very little to me. Obviously the wheel sizes, etc. vary between them - or there wouldn't be different models...but what is the difference between them in terms of performance ?

Just trying to learn more about turbo's, etc. and trying to understand what you guys spend alot of time talking about !

Many thanks
Daz

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Here's a simple explanation. Within a given turbo family (eg. HKS 25XX, 30XX, etc.), the numbers actually provide a reference point as to the turbo's relative size to others within the family. For example, the 2540 means the turbo has a 25 series turbine wheel & housing and a 40 series compressor wheel & housing. So, the 2540 turbo is designed to flow more than the 2530 turbo (ignoring wheel trim and A/R values constant). The same theory applies for a 3037 turbo compared to a 3040 turbo.

Unfortunately, once you introduce differing wheel trim and A/R values within the same turbo family, the comparisons become tougher. For example, you can get a 3037S turbo to flow more than a 3040 if you go large on the trim and A/R values for the 3037S and small on these values for the 3040.

Finally, don't mistake the first two numbers in the turbo series as the size of the turbine housing flange. You can have 25XX, 28XX, and 30XX series turbos that all use a T25 flange. Interesting, huh!

Hope this helps a little.

Cya O!

·
Premium Member
3,884 Posts
Daz,

I hate all that Stage this stage that horsesh1t!

I have e-mailed you (myselector address) a spreadsheet with some info I have collected over the years.

Al.

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers for the responces guys, most appreciated.

Al - have recieved your email ... many thanks for that.

Daz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts