GTR Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Noisyone said:
not sure matey but i did have a set of KAI coilovers on my skyline when it came from Japan i think it was KAI office
That's Kei Office, as in Keiichi Tsuchiya.

This is the best I've found about "Kai":

"KAI or Kai (for Kaizo) is a Japanese-language technical designation suffix for referring to factory or operative front base modifications to military aircraft.

This term is equivalent to the German suffixes U (Umrüst-Bausätze = Factory Modifications) and R (Rüstsatze = Operative combat land Modifications) used by the Luftwaffe. These alterations are made in factories or air bases in combat areas."

So it means it's a modified version of a T51. Perhaps.

Phil

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Philip said:
That's Kei Office, as in Keiichi Tsuchiya.

This is the best I've found about "Kai":

"KAI or Kai (for Kaizo) is a Japanese-language technical designation suffix for referring to factory or operative front base modifications to military aircraft.

This term is equivalent to the German suffixes U (Umrüst-Bausätze = Factory Modifications) and R (Rüstsatze = Operative combat land Modifications) used by the Luftwaffe. These alterations are made in factories or air bases in combat areas."

So it means it's a modified version of a T51. Perhaps.

Phil
Either that or the turbos were designed for a fighter jet.;) Thanks.:)

I actually saw some N1-Kai turbos. That's where the question came from.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Then, what does SPL means? I mean, i've seen HKS use it on T51R...

This got me wondering what does it means? can someone enlighten it up?

Cheers

Grant

·
Registered
4 Posts
from my knowledge, i think KAI means racing. There are two version of HKS T51R, the T51R-KAI mean 'racing' and T51R-SPL mean 'special'. The SPL version came out later with more power but more lag due to different turbine. T51R-KAI rated at 800-900bhp,
T51R-SPL rated at 900-1000bhp

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
JasonGTR said:
KAI means modified.

Like over here in Japan if you swap an RB26DETT into your GTS-T, then you must get your title changed to a KAI title. I just means Modified.
That's it exactly.

·
Registered
45 Posts
The SPL uses a larger turbine and compressor wheel. Garrett built the unit for HKS. Its based on the same basic chassis as the GT42.

·
Banned
11,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
turbodriven said:
The SPL uses a larger turbine and compressor wheel. Garrett built the unit for HKS. Its based on the same basic chassis as the GT42.
Which is better in terms of power, boost threshold and spool?

·
Registered
45 Posts
In terms of power the SPL version will make quite a bit more, but the trade off is lag. For a street driven setup the KAI would be the best way to go, but if you call forcedinductions.com they can get you the Garrett version which is the same, and is a good bit cheaper. That is what we do.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts