GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, after a quicki bit of advice..

my 32's up for its mot shortly and dunno how it passed its first when it came into the country as shes never had a rear fog! when i press the rear fog button i get the side lights come on (and have checked feeds and the rear fog / side light switch are hard wired... somewhere!)

anyhow, im checkin wiring diagrams now to find the join if its factory or if not ill have to find where the dodgy japan bloke has joined them...
At the mo i have all 4 rear circle lights come on with lights and all 4 are brake lights, and looking at the actual wiring to cluster, this is correct with no bodges...

But anyhow.. when you press YOUR rear fog button, what lights up ??? ie, what SHOULD light up..

nothing coz it has no fog light?
inner rings?
outter rings?
after market fog light / an adaption made ???
other?

Im planning on puttin a rear fog in 1 of the reverse light clusters to just make her that lil bit more legal but handy to figure out the whole car :)

Cheers all, any comments / suggestions welcomed :D

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
I changed one of the reversing lights into a fog light and used the usual fog light switch on the dash along with a light to say if the fog lights on.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Any idea where the rear fog wiring ends up in the boot ??? as looking @ the multi plug goin to rear light clusters... both have 4 wires..

shared earth
lights
brakes
reverse lights

no actual wire for the rear fog light!

·
Registered
62 Posts
i just taped a fog light onto the rear bumper taped an illuminated switch to the dash got it mot'd then took it off again easy.

·
Registered
348 Posts
mine has the rear fog in one of the reverse lights

you can do it two ways

1 buy a switch and hook it up directly to a poss and neg then to the rear light 'easy'

2 take the origonal switch make sure there is a poss and neg going to it cut what ever wires that wont be needed make sure there is enough length to attach new wires and feed to the rear light ,.,. once again very easy

if not quite sure give me your @ and i will send you a diagram

ps make sure that you cut wires that are alreadyu there at the rear light:bowdown1:

·
GTROC Member
267 Posts
Current R32 has it wired to one of the reversing lights, which is OK I guess.

I preferred my last R32 which had fogs wired into the 2 inner rear lights - much neater, and didn't reduce brightness of the reversing lights which I found useful reversing into the garage etc...

Don't ask me how it was wired, although I do remember a thread on this subject quite a while ago (a couple of years or so...)

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
With some diodes, you can have all 4 rings come on as brake lights AND the two inner ones as fog lights.

My R33 is like this, very neat and always legal incase you run into one of those VOSA vans.

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
My R32 is the same as NISFAN's......got a switch on the dash which makes the inner two rear lights come on brighter as the fog lights.

Saves having to add a bolt on lamp at the back.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I need mine doing as it was missed off the last MOT by someone... so I have not got a fog light but like the sound of the two inner rears acting as fogs... do they maintain the brake light function as well..? Any one know how to wire it up...?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Yes, all 4 still operate as brake lights until you switch the fogs on, then only the outer brake lights act as brakes.

Easier with a diagram, but I'll try to explain.

You'll need 4 diodes of atleast a 2A rating (Maplins, RS, etc) 2 for each side.
I'll give you the procedure for one side, repeat for the other (if neccessary).

1.) On the brake wire feeding the inner light (12V+ from brake switch), fit one diode with the line (stripe) nearest the light. (This stops electricity from the fog supply lighting up both brake lights)

2.) Splice the fog feed wire (12V+ from fog switch) into the the brake light wire above, between the diode you just fitted, and the brake light.

3.) Break the fog feed wire (anywhere) and fit the second diode again with the stripe nearest the brake light. (This stops 12V from brake light lighting up your fog light switch every time you brake)

repeat exactly the same for other side, and hey presto stealth fog lights.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts