GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So being part of the playstation generation, and having climbed the property ladder its now time for me to buy my first skyline!

Now i am aware of the model types, and essentially im just after some expert knowledge with regards to what would be best. I dont plan on using the car as a daily and have a budget enough, from my searching, to cover;

R32 GTR
R33 GTR
R33 GTS-T
R34 GTT

Now i would liek something that doesn't require tweaking and mechanical work every week, i jsut want a nice weekend run about pushing 450BHP+.

Ran an E92 330i and currently a Stg 2 VXR Astra so im used to hot hatch style running costs, but what extra is a skyline

Thanks a lot for your help!

For what i plan on using it for im thinking of a 33 GTS-T, although ive seen a few quite nice 33 GTR's lurking under 10k which seem in pretty good nick.

S

·
Premium Member
5,650 Posts
Depends what you want it for

GTR's are computer controlled semi 4wd that operates when sliding and as such are not directly comparable to other Skylines in the way they deliver their performance, even with a 4wd controller to force them to be RWD they are still not something you should consider for drifting for example.

Of the two GTR's you mention - 33 or 32 - then I would say chose the car you like the look of most i guess as each has pro's and cons and both are similar money these days for similar spec cars, maybe the 32 is holding its value stronger but 33 prices seem to have firmed up the last couple of years from the freefall they had been in previously.

Slightly smaller, fractionally lighter and rarer the 32 is probably the purists choice but they are terribly dated inside and some smaller bits are getting harder to come by - mint airvents are something the 32 owner covets !! :D The 33 isnt exactly the epitome of ergonomic perfection either, nor a spring chicken but it does have a bit more room inside and usually there are ore parts for them cosmetically, especially with the plethora of GTS that have been imported.

Mechanically and performance wise there is almost nothing to differentiate, so your best choice might be the car that has the spec you want, in the body you want, in the colour you want, theres usually a good few knocking around unless you are after a monster 700bhp R32 in Millenium Jade in which case your ****ed !!

I would always suggest getting someone competent to check the car over or at least phone up the places the vendor says have done work to the car, its not in their interest to lie and most of the established tuners are straight and good to talk to.

Oh and you will find that once you seriously get looking and try a few that your idea of a simple weekend toy with 450bhp will get blown out the window !! lol

Its such a slippery slope !!

:D :D

Welcome to the register.

J.

·
Administrator
31,759 Posts
R32 or R33 GTR depending on which interior/exterior you prefer. Both will satisfy that Gran Turismo itch.

The GTST and GTT are great cars j thier own right but for me it has to be a GTR every time.

Mook

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers for the help gents.

I wont be drifting!

I just want a GTR in all honesty, need the experts to tell me thats the only way forward haha!!

Well i want be buying for 6months odd and the main reason for joining is to hopefully be able to pick a car up off here that i know has been looked after and well cared for with a documented history.

I know its all about midnight purple!!!

I'd like to beocme part of the club and start attending meets etc to pick your brains !!!

Hope to see you all soon.

S

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
GTR for me, purely because if you say it's a weekend fun car and you want 450bhp.
I'd rather be able to use that 450bhp more often, so 4wd ticks my box.

If you want small and light, 32.
If you want a bit newer, heavier and a longer wheelbase car with more space inside that's the 33.

A lot of people buy what they like the look of, they are all good cars and fun.

·
Owner of the MSNSPS
5,199 Posts
Weekend car then GTR if budget allows. Nothing wrong with the GTS cars. In some ways they are better value, but if you can afford the exrtra then GTR all the way.

Which out of R32 or R33. Obviously an R32. If you ask an R33 owner you might get a different reply. Of course they are wrong but each to their own.

If you can attend one of the meets and see the options up close too.

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
I've owned two 33 and two 32 which I currently own and tbh I'm staying 32 only thing with 32 is the rear arch/cill rot they suffer from as for the interior yes some say they look dated compared to the other newer models but I see it as retro and retro is the way forward

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
You have to choose the car you like the look of the most, but 32 is more raw and has more kerb appeal. Nothing like being stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 and seeing the male occupants of every other car double take and give you the thumbs up! :chuckle::chuckle:

·
Registered
2,464 Posts
You have to choose the car you like the look of the most, but 32 is more raw and has more kerb appeal. Nothing like being stuck in a traffic jam on the M25 and seeing the male occupants of every other car double take and give you the thumbs up! :chuckle::chuckle:
Here here plus with the 32 you have more exclusivity as there are less about on uk roads inc the gts variant whereas the 33 unfortunately is more common infact a lot more common not so much the gtr but the gtst which for me detracts from the kerb appeal

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Slight bias there then lads?

I would like to have a look up close to be honest, many meets in the NW area?

Might get a bit of hate for this but its got to be 33 for me, thats what i always had on GT.

MNP R33 GTR, slightly gay but ...

·
Administrator
31,759 Posts
A well sorted 33 has bundles of kerb appeal. The fact there are so many GTST actually add to this as the GTR is a rare sight. Horses for courses but I'm a 33 fan over the other two myself.

·
Following EJH#25
6,843 Posts
So what you're saying is... the R32 is a gay icon! :popcorn:

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
The GTST and GTT are great cars j thier own right but for me it has to be a GTR every time.

Mook
Wheras for me, I love the GTSt, it just shoves all it's power to the rear wheels only with no help beyond a limited slip diff, is lighter, simpler and really good fun. :)

The GTR is of course awesome, But I am a simple person and I like simple things :)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
450bhp is alot easier and cheaper to get with a GTR than a GTST.

I have owned -

R33 GTST
R32 GTR
R33 GTR which is my current car

The GTST is noticeably lighter when driving, the R32 felt a lot more raw but the R33 feels more planted and race car and just general awesome, in my opinion anyway.

Like others said, if you want a GTR get one don't waste your time with a GTST wishing you bought a GTR. Then choose one that you think looks the best.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Agreed (although I'm biased as well). Further if you take steps to "modernize" the car (for example, improve body rigidity and electrics as I have discovered and documented on my blog), the car gets better still.

·
Administrator
31,759 Posts
Agreed (although I'm biased as well). Further if you take steps to "modernize" the car (for example, improve body rigidity and electrics as I have discovered and documented on my blog), the car gets better still.
A dangerous read I might add!! :bowdown1:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The 33 is more of a race car than the 32!!!!! I am still trying to get my head around that one!!!! As it you D-Ranged, my fellow 6266 buddy, I will let you off!

Without doubt the 33 is a more forgiving car, but does that make it better or just make the driver feel they are better!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts