GTR Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just say i've got a 'Plastic Turbo' in my R33 GTS 25t, as its been said I could have...

1. What the hell does that mean? plastic ??

2. If with my new apexi boost kit, I get upto 1 bar, and this 'Plastic Turbo' breaks :( can it wreck my engine?

I Know that I would have to get the busted bits out my cat and nead a new turbo but, worst case..whats the damage likely to be, cus 1 bar feels great, but in the back of my mind i'm thinking will it break??

3. Does anyone know from an engine number or anything like that, what turbo I would have without removing half the engine?

Thanks in advance Dean..

·
Registered
9,548 Posts
If you are talking about the ceramic wheels than the worst thing that could happen if you brake them is ceramic contamination in the engine. This will require taking the engine apart so big money....happend to a few people on the SDU forums...

·
Registered
46 Posts
I would steer clear of ceramic turbo's seeing the max boost they can handle is around 14 psi, i have heard of some cars running ceramic turbos up to 16 psi, but that is just crazy.

·
GTROC Co-Founder.
6,591 Posts
Plastic fantastic

Some GT-S's do have plastic compressor wheels.:eek:

Thats on the induction side and not the exhaust.

So any breakage will be injested and not just blown out of the back.:(

I'd check from one of the tuners the safe boost limit for this turbo.

I would not imagine it too high.:(

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok?

so if they are plastic and my engines nice tough this is a pain but will not totally trash the engine bores and head ?

or am i thinking bollx :( do any tuners know the age range or serial numbers to see if i have or not?

Dean

·
Registered
58 Posts
Also not an expert but even a composite compressor wheel (think thats the proper name for 'em) breaking up and being sucked through your engine will knacker it...

Could you fit a nice T28 or something on there?

·
Banned
3,561 Posts
Of course all that assumes that the IC doesn't stop the bits from passing through. (just a thought)

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
t28?

So papa are you trying to tell me you have a cheep T28 your trying to sell :)

Mycroft, i do have a fairly deep full front intercooler, so maybe bits could fall to the bottom and act as a sump/trap?

Dean

·
Registered
58 Posts
I DID recently replace the T28 with a Greddy turbo, but it had seen better days to be honest. I let the guy who fit the new turbo kit for me have it.

But they come up for sale every so often from 200SX's, GTiR's etc. Would imagine it would be suitable as the Skyline GTS uses similar upgrade routes to the 200SX's. GT2530 turbo's etc so I imagine the fittings very similar.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Please be carefull Dean, ring Rod and ask him the safest boost limit, he will know I am sure,.

I know that when my Turbo Blew in my 200SX it took all the Valves with it. It was gonna cost around 1000 quid to replace all the valves and seats, and strip down the cylinders to check the bores, but I dropped on another engine for 700 so it was smiles better. All for a Turbo Wheel Breaking up......

Si:(

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Mycroft said:
Of course all that assumes that the IC doesn't stop the bits from passing through. (just a thought)
Well said Mycroft ... the intercooler will filter out the big bits, we've been down this road with racecar turbo failures before... :D

My (and simons) GTS4 has Ceramic compressor wheel, and I had heard that the maximum safe boost for daily use is 0.8 bar (11.6psi). I cannot guarantee the accuracy as I cant recall where I read it, but it was on these'ere forums somewhere. Needless to say I shall be removing the ceramic content of my turbo asap... :D

·
Registered
905 Posts
Rod Bell set my Turbo up, and he swears that the safe limit for my Daily Driver Car is Between 1 Bar and 1.1 Max, I argued with him over it and he guaranteed it, so I always trust my tuner. Hes worked on em for years, and owned a GTS4 so......

Si

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
If thats what Rod Bell says (even his initials are RB, the man has Skyline in his blood!) Thats good enough for me then .. I'll be happy with 0.9 on a Ceramic ... and then I'll rip that little sucker out as soon as I can afford it and go for something with a bit more whooosh :D

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok point taken

ive turned it down and im running about 0.6 bar :( not as whooshy now but heh its safer untill i get to rods after my mot....

but thanks for all the help, and as draxx said costly repairs i can do without...

Dean

ps: see you all on the 20th :)

·
Registered
905 Posts
There i go spouting about boost levels and Ive had to turn mine down cause I decided to put the ARC in 2day, and the fueling wont take it!!! Running 1 Bar Max now, steadying at .9!!!

Bet that makes u smile Dan!!!

Si

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Si

YAY! That was my guesstimate boost figure for safe motoring :D Six years working on Turbo cars for a living has done something for me then!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts