GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was speaking to someone over the weekend who was talking about something called the Secret Skyline that was supposed to have 1200bhp.

I'm really sceptical about these four figure power claims - esp when he said that they raced it against a McLaren F1 and the McLaren wiped the floor with it.

Now I know the McLaren is an awesome car with an awesome power to weight ratio (a shade over 1000kg with 630 bhp or thereabouts) but surely if the Skyline really did have 1200 bhp it should have been able to beat the McLaren?

Secret Skyline - sounds more like one of those urban myths you hear about ...

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
WELL

Well,
I dont know ? there is talk of a lot of secret skylines lateley,one that I know that went up against a maclaren beat it at bruntingthorpe:)
But the owner might not have been trying but he seemed pretty gutted.
Gary

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Probably the top secret R34 this is supposed to be near to 1200 bhp.

Top secret is a tuning company in Japan.

hth
Steve

·
Registered
171 Posts
Top secret have got a few skylines, amoungst which are an R33 gtr and an R34. The 33 has twin HKS 3037's and the 34 a single T51R. No idea what the 34 is supposed to run but I have read in several places that the 33 has 1200bhp, it was the first skyline to break 1000bhp. Some times for the 33 are an 11.333 1/4 in the pouring rain and 16.68 0-300kph, which isnt slow!

Hope that answers any questions :D

Billy

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Based on my sources, Top Secret's R33 demo car (RH9) actually runs twin 3040 turbos and put out approximately 960hp to the engine when it was run in the 0-300km/h RH9 event. It has been tuned to make 1000hp but never made 1200hp. Also, as DCD mentioned, the R34 demo car runs a T78 29D turbine. The only Top Secret demo car that I remember having a T51R was the Silvia S14 that put out approximately 800hp to the engine.

Cya O!

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting stats ...

So what is the 1/4 time for a McLaren F1 and what spec of Skyline beat one at Bruntingthorpe? Also, what did it beat it at (standing 1/4, round a track, top speed, etc) and how much was there in it?

Was it Ronnie's?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Re: Interesting stats ...

kingsley said:
So what is the 1/4 time for a McLaren F1 and what spec of Skyline beat one at Bruntingthorpe? Also, what did it beat it at (standing 1/4, round a track, top speed, etc) and how much was there in it?

Was it Ronnie's?
McLaren F1 does the standing quarter mile in 11.1 seconds. Ronnies did it in 10.79 the other day (and i think hes gone faster before??), so a Skyline with an extra ~400bhp and with more weight saving would easily beat the McLaren.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yep your right, it was the S14 that had the T51R, sorry! But the 33 has run 3037's before at some point, ive got an option magazine with it in and an mpeg on my pc with pics of them on!

Billy:mad:

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Billysan... Thanks for the info. I didn't realize that was the case as I have only ever seen the R33 with twin 3040s. Must have been before 1998.

Does R33 engine bay look similar to the Top Secret 0-300 Supra with the RB26DETT swap? That car had twin 3037S on board and the engine bay was immaculate.

Cya O!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Top Secrets R33 1200bhp monster

Despite modding mentallists top secret having a 1200bhp R33 Nissan Skyline, if you look at the performance figures, well 0-60 and 0-100 the mclaren F1 does hit the times faster than the Skyline despite having half the horsepower.
Must be down to the fact the mclaren costs probably 4-5 times more, weighs a helluvalot less, and has, as it is in the name F1 parts and components.

ANyone know the top speed Top Secrets R33 Skyline has reached? i know from a recent DVD i own it can easily hot 205mph in 6th and isn't anywhere near full rev's yet. would be interesting to see a top speed for it, due to the mclaren tops out out 231mph (thats still damn impressive for a 600bhp engine)

:smokin:

·
Registered
766 Posts
Re: Top Secrets R33 1200bhp monster

Veilside mark said:
Despite modding mentallists top secret having a 1200bhp R33 Nissan Skyline, if you look at the performance figures, well 0-60 and 0-100 the mclaren F1 does hit the times faster than the Skyline despite having half the horsepower.
Must be down to the fact the mclaren costs probably 4-5 times more, weighs a helluvalot less, and has, as it is in the name F1 parts and components.

ANyone know the top speed Top Secrets R33 Skyline has reached? i know from a recent DVD i own it can easily hot 205mph in 6th and isn't anywhere near full rev's yet. would be interesting to see a top speed for it, due to the mclaren tops out out 231mph (thats still damn impressive for a 600bhp engine)

:smokin:
if thats the case then with all that horsepower it will take the McLaren in some areas. It must have enormous mid range or top end.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I feel the point is being missed here largely, and your not comparing like for like.

Its at the stage now where your comparing purpose built drag cars to a Road Car, which the McLaren was. Not a converted racer like Merc CLK GTR or Porsches GT1. Im sure if McLaren had intended the GTR to be a drag racer, then it would be completely different. Same as if the had built it just for top speed, or cornering ability etc etc. As an all rounder, as standard, it will be hard to surpase. The only downside is the cost.

Cheers
Lee

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes i agree on that completely. Their was only ever around 200 Mclaren F1's made and when you compare that to the amount of Skylines made its obvious the Mclaren was never really going ot be a mass production car. However, with the technology of that in more recent R34's, it would be surprising if their were some hard tuned Skylines out their able to challenge even the best of road legalised Race cars.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Yes a hard tuned Skyline could compete with a road race car such as the CLK GTR (my favourite car btw). The road cars have a much different setup and far less downforce than the race cars, and as such are no where near as good. The LeMans homologation cars (CLK-GTR, 911 GT1, 962 etc.) will still destroy any standard road car, but with some extensive aerodynamic work a car such as a high powered Skyline would certainly be capable of beating them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
your probably right, the magazine i read the figures from must've included the race spec Le Mans ones or Summit. Still, either way a signifantly less sum than th eamount of skylines produced.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts