GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya Folks,

Fresh from my Formula Ford victory at Silverstone (1st in Race one and I was T-boned in Race two) I decided to take my Boxster S to Donnington for an Easy Track day last Sunday. I have been to a fair few continental track days and a few UK bike track days but this was my first UK car day.

I registered and paid my track fee (150 UK) and was told that passengers were an extra (20 UK) per person! I had invited a few folks and I tried to point out that I might only do a few laps with each person but the organizers were adamant that rules ‘were’ rules.

I should of known their was going to be more trouble when at the briefing they informed everyone that if you spin then you will be going home without a refund.

I did my first session and came in, by this time it was absolutely pissing down with rain and things were looking fairly miserable. As I was pulling into the pit lane the I was pulled over by Easy Track organizer and was told that I had been rude and that if I was not careful a few people would ‘sort me out’. All in all Easytrack were a joke, the marshalling sucked, they way oversold the track and it’s bad publicity to threaten clients with physical violence.

The moral of the story is you Brits need to come over to the continent more, open pitlanes, more reasonable noise limits and cheaper prices add up to a lot more fun.

/Dan

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Hi Dan,

Congrats on your victory!

I've done a few ET days now and have never had any trouble with them apart from them never being able to clean the circuit at Kemble. What were you supposed to have done which was "rude"? Do you know who it was who threatened you?

I read the forum at ET and most people were complimentary about Donnington although there were a few comments about the number of cars there. I wonder if circuit costs over here are more than on mainland Europe. I also know that the marshalling is done by the circuit not ET not that I'm trying to take ET's side. :)

You should have come along to Bedford last Friday, fantastic 3.6 mile circuit with only 35 cars signed in....

Have you got your new 34 yet?

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hiya Peter,

No new cars for me for a while, I leave for Hong Kong in a few hours and I will be their for the next 4-6 months. I did plan to buy an R34 out in HK but they slap a huge TAX on the cars. I guess I will have to wait until I get back to Europe next year.

/Dan

·
Registered
178 Posts
Dan,

Sad to hear it.... I don't think I'll use them again. My friend Richard (at the 'Ring with the Orange Exige) had a similar experience with a different company and was sent home for spinning at Brands (different venue).

Fortunately not all trackday organisers are the same, and I've had good experiences with Trackstar (with Mitsi Lancer Register mob) and BookaTrack. Both of these companies (IMHO) strike a good balance between safety and letting you do what you what you turned up to. BaT don't even charge for additional drivers, let alone passengers, which, seen as there's no additional cost to the organisers seems v.fair!

When you get back, we'll have to sort a track day (just not Cadwell Park ;))......

Enjoy HK

Cheers,

Dave

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Bandwagon.....

Phil said:
Dan
Sounds well out of order - I'd consider taking it further

Phil
Blimey Phil, that was an edit and a half!!

Dave,

What track days have you done with ET and what happened to make you decide not to go with them again? Which company was it that your friend had problems with at the Ring? In for a penny....

We're at Brands with ET next Wednesday so we'll report back how they perform there.

Dan,

What did you do that they regarded as "rude"?

Peter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
For the sake of the Forum I'll check back with Rich and find out as criticism should be backed up with fact... He muttered something about Brands Hatch Leisure, though they may not have been actually running the day.

I did a couple of ET days near Oxford (can't remember the precise venue). The first was very good and I enjoyed myself hooj-ley, with the emphasis on freedom and being responsible, the next was much more rules-oriented (no bad thing in itself) and the atmosphere seemed to suffer a tadge. I don't know if they've had problems with some of their clients that have forced a harded line than others, I can't blame them if this is the case.

I was concerned when Dan came up with these comments, as on the two occasions I've met him he came across as a fairly right minded individual with a fairly responsible attitude to the track, I even went out on the 'Ring with him, which as a very poor passenger is some sort of accolade.

Cheers,

DC

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Dave,

Brands, in common with many circuits (Bedford, Donnington, Silverstone, etc.) marshall things themselves so any bad marshalling decisions are beyond ET's control. RGS suffered at the hands of an over zealous Silverstone marshall on an ET day and Guy similarly at Brands on an ET day (I think Guy holds the record for the most black flags in a day!!).

Like I say, I'm not defending ET particularly although obviously I am friends with Marcus. Just keen to see facts rather than hearsay which can be so damaging.

Peter.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Peter,

Right you are too:)... I've go no particular axe to grind, and make no secret (like you of allegiances/preferences) and perhaps I reacted a little OTT to Dans posting, it's just not nice to hear friends bad experiences...

DC

·
Registered
997 Posts
ET

ET SUCK! Kemble is crap for big power cars.Wasted my time & money....Peter,I thank you for all your efforts for track days this year but I can`t see how ET had the right to take our money at Kemble 2!!!! I seems to me they never loose,take your dosh & moan at you all day long for enjoying yourselves & break promises on runway use...GOOD LUCK to you with them next year.I almost forgot to mention their NO NOISE LIMIT,well that was a load of rubbish as well.

Henry.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

BTW.before anyone asks that doesn`t know me,Yes I have done many track days before,first one back in 1985 I think.ET will not have the pleasure of taking my money a third time.

·
Registered
997 Posts
ET again

I`m sure there are 1000`s of people who have had a brilliant time with ET at all the various track day venues they organise & I`m sure that they are a loved by many,if however you think my opening line"ET suck" is a bit strong then I will ask Joss to remove it.
My comments are strickly related to my expirences with the two track days organised by Peter E.at Kemble who was given wrong information regarding track lay out ,runway use & db levels which was relayed to us on this forum and basically was dressed up as the best track for Skylines around,not to be missed.
At the end of the day if you are happy with your Kemble outings then so be it,I wasn`t.I did email ET to express my view & to help them create a better track layout more suited to our type of cars but they didn`t bother to reply.I also asked them for an apology to Peter E. for the misleading info they fed him.
I also was banned from the place as soon as I got there for spinning my wheels and breaking the 15mph speed limit along with the three other Skylines following behind me which was absolutely wrong & if it wasn`t for Glen doing his PR bit and all us naughty boys standing there saying how sorry we were we would have had to leave.

Henry.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
whats up with easytrack

SURE THERE NAME IS NOT

DIFFICULT TRACK HENRY

KEITH

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Henry,

Well, that's been waiting to come out for a while by the sound of it! I agree that K2 wasn't all it should have been but, again 'not' defending ET but several of the issues you've raised were either outside of their control or weren't really an issue at all.

Runway. I'm sure ET didn't plant the homemade 'stinger' on the runway.

Noise. Agreed but it didn't really affect anybody apart from Michael who had had enough anyway by the time he finished. As far as I know, nobody else had a problem. When did you last do a track day on a 'normal' circuit? Noise really is an issue at most circuits these days so whilst Michael had a problem getting on, he did at least get on for a while. Can't imagine he'd get on too many places with the volume he was putting out!

Moaning. No idea what you mean here. Nobody moaned at me.

Kemble was never dressed up as the best track for Skylines especially at only 1.6 miles long. It is a convenient place to meet to have some fun on track where practically all of us don't need to worry about noise levels. Almost everybody I spoke to thought that the circuit on the second day was much better and would have been even better with the runway had it not been closed.

Nearly getting chucked off. Again, it was the owner of the airfield that you had a disagreement with, not ET.

I'm genuinely sorry that things didn't work out as they should have and you didn't even mention the dirt! Despite all the problems I still think that Kemble will do us for another jaunt next year some time especially as they are enlarging the circuit all the time but only if they clean it first.

As I said above, I am keen that ET are not given too much of a hard time for stuff which is outside of their control. Shit happens unfortunately!

Peter.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
ET

Hiya Folks,

Thanks for the comments Dave : )

Check's in the post

:p

"A fairly right minded individual with a fairly responsible attitude to the track"

LOL!

Peter, the rudeness part came when I asked why we were paying for passengers, I was told that it was to cover adminstration, in fact the young lady proceeded to explain how costly it is writing extra names on the paper. I guess she did not find it funny when I started laughing and asked here what the money was really for. Either way I am a mellow guy and the reaction from ET to take me aside and sort me out was unacceptable. People can have off days so I will put it down to experience and just forget about it.

/Dan

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Oh well, thanks Dan for clearing that bit up! I know that charges for passengers is a thorny subject to many people and it's not for me to try to justify it. In fact, Bruce had to pay £35 for his wife to be a second driver at Brands next week. :eek: As you say, the reaction was perhaps a 'tad' OTT and surprising.

I've brought this thread to ET's attention so it's up to them if they want to have an input or not.

Cheers.

Peter.

·
Registered
997 Posts
ET.

Peter,
good answers to the general points of moan I raised,this is the reason we are lucky to have such a good GT-R forum so we can see all the different points of view we as individuals have.
I respect your hard work & all your time you have spent organising those particular track days & I hope you remember my efforts in helping getting various members to support the Kemble days too.
Henry.

·
Registered
9,034 Posts
Henry,

Of course I do, thanks. :)

I honestly don't think there are very many Skyline drivers, comparatively, interested in 'proper' track days so the fact we got so many of us together at Kemble shows that the meet was probably almost as important as the circuit. If we want to have a proper track day in the UK, Bedford really is the place to go but we then enter noise limit territory which will affect more members than just Michael.

I have heard ET's side of the Dan/Donnington episode and, as you might expect, there are always two sides to every story.... I wasn't there so I can't comment. I do feel like I'm between the devil and the deep blue sea here so I'll leave it at that.

The only comment I would make is that if anybody does book a track day online with ET, it's all perfectly visible what the charges are for passengers and second drivers so if you don't like the charges, don't book. Simple as that really.

Peter.

·
Registered
9 Posts
As they say, 'you pays your money...'

Kemble was less than half the price of a proper track day so I didn't expect miracles, but the organisation did seem below par compared with what I have experienced before (OnTrackExperience and mainly TVRCC days). Despite early strictness over off-track issues I saw a few overtaking moves that should have warranted a quiet word but didn't.

Brands should be much better as the marshals are experts at that particular track. I've been there before and found the marshalling good. I prefer it to be slightly strict as I don't want some loose cannon driving into me and ruining my day (that could be a rash statement the day before the track day!). Having said that, I recognise there is a risk to it and I do have insurance.

It was mentioned that Skyline owners don't tend to do track days. Why not? Surely they're very good cars to show up many others and a good place to try out the extra bhp you all have.

Regards

Dan (plus Chimaera with a puny 235hp through 2 wheels)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts