GTR Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So as some back ground the car has been sat in the garage for around 2 months or so and hasn't been driven. The sun is out and I have some time off work so I decided to put some fuel in and take it out for the day.

The night before I took it to shell to fill up which is around a 10mile round trip with a little detour. I drove the car sympathetically as it has been off the road for a bit and I like everything to warm up before putting the boot in. Everything seemed normal, brought the car home and it went to bed in the garage as per normal.

The next day I went to take it out and in the morning the car was producing white smoke from the exhaust. It seemed quite a large amount so I took the car back and put her away as I was panicking.

Initial thoughts were it's exhaust condensation but I took it out again today to check what was going on.

Initial thoughts are:

1 head gasket has gone

2 Turbos are tits

3 Block is cracked!

So.....

Oil looks good on the dipstick and under the filler cap. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Coolant has remained the same level and is a little bit rusty but otherwise fine.

O2 sensors have a very different reading as below.

Oil pressure and temp are normal, as is the water temp?

Thoughts please???

Help! :wavey::wavey::wavey:

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
PS, I have had a good look around and the smoke is only coming out of the exhaust. It seems a constant bellow at idle and happens when the car is warm but not on initial start up.

Cheers all.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It doesn't really smell of anything. It's quite thick then dissipates. I know what you mean though I was trying to smell it to see if it was sweet. Initially when I first smelt it with the window open the other morning it smelt like burning rubber, initially. Now it's pretty smell less.

I don't have the best sense of smell mind!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Yes compression test it and put it on a diagnostic dodgy mafs could also cause smoke. Hope all goes well. How she feel? All idleing and performng well?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah it's the rad. It's not creamy just rusty water I think. I will have another look.

As far as idle goes it's slightly higher than usual but the car drives exactly as it should with no real difference to anything other than the smoke.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Disconnect the cat see if water comes out. Also any oil in the water expansion tank?
What would cause water in the cat? I was checking with a piece of card behind the exhaust and revving it to check for splutters but it was quite dry.

Thanks for the tips. I will check those things.

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
FRRacer had the same issue of white smoke and people suggested blown head gasket or cracked head. Turned out to be a corroded 'modine' (the factory water oil cooler).

Cheap fix, as you can bypass and just use a decent front mounted cooler.

Regards,

Mark

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
If I was a betting man, I would say that one of your oil return pipes has collapsed.
Pop them off and try and poke your finger though it. Don't be fooled my the appearance of the outside of the pipe.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
If I was a betting man, I would say that one of your oil return pipes has collapsed.
Pop them off and try and poke your finger though it. Don't be fooled my the appearance of the outside of the pipe.
That's a turbo oil return hose.

·
Registered
5,726 Posts
Been chatting with Will about this. And it's a weird one as the oil appears to be spotless and the coolant doesn't appear to have any oil in it which you would have thought if the modine was cracked you'd have a level of cross contamination?
We're wondering if it's more turbo related as the weird reading on the rear O2 sensor could be that it's covered in oil? And not able to give a reading. From either a turbo oil seal gone or maybe a breather that's allowing too much oil to go through?
The way the smoke coming out if the exhaust appears to be pulsing clear then white, also might suggest that one turbo output is fine and the other isn't?
Will is going to investigate more stuff tomorrow hopefully but really hoping it's something bolted on or serving the engine rather than head gasket/ring lands etc.
:)
Bob

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
It won't be a breather as that's fed I to the inlet across all 6 cylinders.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts