GTR Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a question for all of you GTR's expert.

I really would like to use Red Line transmission fluid in my R34 GTR's 6-speed Getrag because of the superior performance of the Red Line fluid, but I have no idea if any of the Red Line fluid is suitable for my transmission.

I heard those MKIV Supra's guys have problem using Red Line fluid in their 6-speed Getrag, seems like the Supra's transmission only like to be on Toyota factory fluid.

I talked to the Red Line oil representative here, of course they don't have any infos on what I should put into my GTR's transmission because there are so few GTRs here in the U.S. He did say they don't have any fluid available for the MKIV Supra's transmission, so what I heard is true.

Can any of you R34 GTR's owner tell me what kind of fluid you guys are using in your 6-speed Getrag?

Thank you very much in advance.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Jeff

Can't exactly remember the spec at this time. If I remember well, it's an Esso product which is also used in BMW and Peugeot cars. I'll have a look at the spec tomorrow, I've got 25 liters of that stuff. I was told to use that and that alone.

Andre.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Andre,

Thank you for the post.

Yes please find out for me the spec of the fluid you are using for your transmission. I really would like to find out.

I think the 6-speed Getrag are pretty specific when it comes to the type of fluid it likes to use.

What I know is, the R34 GTR, JZA80/MKIV Supra, E39 M5 and 3000GT/GTO VR4 all have similar 6-speed Getrag in them. I know the Supra only likes factory fluid in its manual tranny, the M5 have it specific factory fluid from BMW. I have heard VR4's owner have good result running Red Line in their tranny. I am using the factory Toyota fluid for the MKIV in my tranny now, what I don't like about it is the fact that they are $40 USD a liter, they are factory fluid and not synthetic like the Red Line fluid, I want to have the maximum protection for my expensive transmission.

If anyone out there knows if I can use Red Line or any other synthetic fluid in my transmission, please let me know.

Thank you again.

Jeff

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Charlie

Very clear article.
The lubricant that I use is put in the Getrag spec sheet that can be found on that web site as follows: "ATF ESSO Dexron D21065 lubricant for synchronizers required; other lubricants may enable the synchronizer units and will decrease the shift comfort".

Don't use anything else.

Andre.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi Andre.

Great site Mkiv.com and a mine of info.
I imported my Supra having never seen or driven one,and got loads of advices from those guys.

Am sure their developments with Single Turbo's is worth a look on its own.

They know their Supra's "inside out".

·
Supraman
148 Posts
Just had a look in the handbook for my UK 6sp Supra, and it says:

Esso ATF Dexron D-21065, Toyota Gear Oil V160, or equivalent.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much guys!

Now I know I can't use any synthetic fluid in my tranny :(

I am currently using the Toyota Gear oil V160, so I am good :)

Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts