GTR Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of life do people suppose our cars had in Japan?
How are these cars treated generally in their home country, hard and fast or carefull and looked after?

Ade.

·
Registered
715 Posts
mine looked like it had never seen any rain/damp weather. Not a single spot of rust under a 11 year old car. Interior was spotless and seats totally unworn.

Then I got hold of it !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I think it's probably the same as anywhere - you get people who treasure them & people who trash them.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine is pretty mint inside and very good outside but at 52K the gearbox would suggest it's been driven hard? Or is that just normal?

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Mine looked all fine all around, until we just noticed it was apparently involved in a crash
But I suppose, it could have been worse so I won't complain :D

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Agree...you get tired abused cars and you get mint garaged no-expense spared. That's why when you import without seeing you have to trust the importer to source a car that is accurately described i.e if it's described as absolutely mint, then your money is in their hands to deliver as described.
You can also judge, to a certain extent, by the price. If a 800bhp car that is mint sounds to cheap to be true...chances are, it is.
First thing I did though, was full service, checkover and underseal as a matter of precaution. Whether the previous owner/s used to race it down the yokohama highway or doughnut round...I have no idea. That's the risk I guess

It would be nice to think that my previous Japanese owner tuned the car up and put all those nice bits on it and just polished it at weekends...hmm...me thinks not! I'm guessing he enjoyed it as much as I do!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid top dollar for mine, but if I'm honest it was an impulse buy (sort of).
My dream car appeared just when I had some money. I just assumed that being that expensive and as good as it looked that it must have been looked after.
Gonna' have a word with Mark from Abbey about a general health check.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Depends where its come from, inner city like Tokyo theres no possible chance of ragging the car cos traffic jams are worse then anything we see here.

If your imported GTR came with DVD player and sunscreen TV chances are the engines mint :D

·
Registered
188 Posts
Depends where its come from, inner city like Tokyo theres no possible chance of ragging the car cos traffic jams are worse then anything we see here.
Tokyo traffic is worse on drivetrains than a bit of hammering from time to time though.

·
Skyline Section Manager
11,878 Posts
Mine had quite obviously been ragged to within an inch of its life. It was mostly knackered, but this was reflected in the £2700 price tag.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
it's fair to say that it depends on the previous owner - looked after or not.

But in general, you will find that the jap cars are looked after better. The parts that are used are GENERALLY high quality, and GENERALLY serviced regularly.

I've noticed that the body repairs carried out in Japan seem to be high quality where they mostly use replacement parts instead of repairing damaged parts.

The cars also seem to have lower average annual mileage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts