GTR Forum banner

What looks UGLY on a Skyline

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 207 Posts

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had several comments about my car and seen comments about other members cars which say that basically the cars are UGLY!

What makes a Skyline ugly?

The cars are all based around a basic body shape (Standard 32,33 & 34) which a few owners decide to change during their ownership, to their own personal taste and budget, but what mods do YOU feel make the cars look ugly?

I know a lot of the body kits don't appeal to me like the Veilside front ends and most users on here are against graphics etc.

What do you think really looks WRONG and on a which model of Skyline?

Matt.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
For me it's simply the wrong choice of wheels - you can have two identical cars body wise - one can look amazing, one can look cack - purely from the choice of wheels - admittedly wheels come down to personal taste, someone might think mine are cack - but they can't be they're volks :).

·
GTROC Member
5,037 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder Matt !

Before I get flamed....These are purely my opinions, dont take them to seriously and if I offend you....erm....then get a life ;)

I dont see anything wrong with mix and match bodykits as long as they're quality bits....for example a Trust front bumper with Veilside sideskirts.....if it looks good then who cares they're different ?

Not really a fan of bodykits on R32's or R34's really....I do think the R33's look best with bigger sideskirts & front bumpers tho, makes them look meaner.

Not fan of big stand off rear wings either....

I quite like Carbon Bonnets, they look really nice on White and the lighter colour cars....considering one for mine actually.

I'm in a minority here I know, but I dont see anything wrong with custom paint jobs, again as long as its a quality job and not a 500 quid blowover.

Graphics....big no no ! On par with 'floaty, floaty' Neons in my book.

·
Following EJH#25
6,837 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers for the comments guys but it's not really about my car.

For me, my car is a hobby and I'm not all that bothered by what others think.
I know when I'm not happy with certain things and change my mind on stuff all the time, but I don't do things because it's the 'norm' or expected.

I was just talking with a mate and wondered whether there is a common 'thing' that people find just looks wrong hence the poll.
It already looks like a pattern is emerging;)

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
LOL @ myself. I see I'm the only purist out there

TT

·
Administrator
31,420 Posts
you all misunderstand

ALL Skylines are ugly. Much like old Astons are ugly, the new mustang is ugly, a stealth bomber is ugly.

good ugly

i think the question should be "what makes a skyline look shit?"

then neon's etc would apply

mook

·
Registered
8,540 Posts
errr..how come some names appear more than once in the poll. Didnt think you could do that.

TT

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
It's not as simple as that. One man's meat is another man's poison. Nemesis R33 anyone?

I've seen some great Skylines with carbon bits, chrome wheels, big spoilers, graphics, custom paint, etc. etc. that look absolutely amazing.

I've seen others with the same kind of stuff but they look cack.

But as for the ones with bare carbon, chrome wheels, graphics, etc. etc. looking cack - (apologies for the size of this but what the hell....)

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
There's no single common denominator

It's the way the mods have been done. The time taken matching graphics/colour/bodykit/wheels/interior always shows.

And, as already pointed out, it's a very subjective topic - we all drive the very best Skyline we can afford to have/maintain/make.

Apart from mine, coz it's superb...:D - oops, see what I mean?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Like most above, I don't think it's which "aspect" of the car is changed, it's how well it's done - and goes with the rest of the car! That's why I didn't really want to vote - but have done so I can see the results. I went for wings: my car :p )

Paint & Graphics jobs that look like they've been picked by a colourblind bloke with cataracts are sh1te - there've been some classic examples on fleabay recently :puke:

Did you all see that 33 on fleabay with a Scooby scoop on the bonnet? :eek: :rolleyes: :runaway: That's what gives car modding a bad name :D

I don't particular like Veilside "snowplough" front kits, doorstacks are generally a "go faster" chav mod, some wheels are really crap, I don't like carbon boots, etc, etc. But, on the whole, well put together (and not OTT) mods are an improvement and make our cars "individual".

At the end of the day though, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and, like Mook says, it ain't about ugly, it's about sh1te :D

Matt - my wife says your car is ugly (you can take this up with her if she comes on our Dec NW meet :chairshot ). I say it looks the business because I know it "does what it says on the tin" :thumbsup: - it's a package.

I'd liken it to an Apache attack helicopter! - Beautiful? No. Gobsmackingly, devastatingly, brutally, impressively AWESOME - yes! :smokin:

·
Banned
165 Posts
you all misunderstand
ALL Skylines are ugly. Much like old Astons are ugly, the new mustang is ugly, a stealth bomber is ugly.
good ugly
i think the question should be "what makes a skyline look shit?"
then neon's etc would apply
mook
Thats the truth really, skylines arent pretty cars now are they

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
Thats the truth really, skylines arent pretty cars now are they
If I think back to 1977 the year I started work my top cars would have been 55/57 Chevy, Mk 2 Cortina Lotus,Shelby Mustangs . Most people now days just want something to get them from A to B with as little cost as possible. Pretty cars still a market for Gay men.

1 - 20 of 207 Posts