GTR Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For steet driving, not track use.

Some say the oem reccomended Mobil 10w40 doesnt do so well at high temps in these engines when tuned.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Was running standard oil but wasn't happy with it.

Found after a few thousand miles of mixed usage, sprint and trackday it had burr a fair bit.

Gone to Motul 15-50 on recommendation and hasn't burnt a drop.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See Jurgen's "Blown engine thread" that some brought back from the dead. Some questions were raised about the Mobil 1 0w40 not being up to the job for a bolt on+ car.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Mine is going in for a 6k service I want the best oil possible.
No track use just fast road what are people using???

Used pro-s 5-40 in the Evo

Just want the best protection for the engine only used as a second car

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Split is probably between OEM and Motul 5w50 depending on tune and whether you track or not.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Split is probably between OEM and Motul 5w50 depending on tune and whether you track or not.
What do you think about Motul?
I cannot find Motul 5 W 50 on their website...

There is 300V competition 15W 50, and some other 300V - 5W 40, 10W 40, 0W 40...
Which one would be suitable for a GTR?
I also noticed that I am burning some oil when I drive my car a bit "inspired" :chuckle::chuckle:

https://www.motul.com/fr/en/products/oils-lubricants?f[application]=140&f[quality]=31&f[range]=25

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Motul 300v is for race oil use, it has less cleaning additives say compared to OEM oil, it will need changing more often to get the best of it.

I'm too trying to get an idea of what is the best oil to use, just doing some research TBH.

If it's a stock car, no track use then OEM is the way to go. Stage 2 plus then you can look into the various motul options.

Motul Sport 5W-50 Racing lubricant for racing cars

·
Registered
723 Posts
Changing even more often than every 10.000 km?
My car is tuned, something between Stage 1 and Stage 2 I guess, you can see the deatils in my signature...
When I drive it, I drive it...if you know what I mean...
Autobahn - pretty often cruise control is set to 200 km/h...and it stays so if there is no traffic...it occasionally touches 250 km/h...
Etc...
I topped up oil, it was full on the display...
After ca 800 km highway drive, it has "one box" less on that display on the dashboard...
The drive was like I mentioned up there...

·
Premium Member
8,829 Posts
Oil is the lifeblood of the car. I used to change my oil in my R33 before and after a Track day, a bit obsessive some might say, but would rather spend a £100 on oil than £15k on an engine rebuild !

Ask a reputable "tuner" what they recommend, and yes it does matter how you use the car, temperature of the weather outside, if the car is used daily or kept and only used a s Sunday drive, Track use etc. etc. etc.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Guys, what do you think about castrol Edge 10W60?
Could be a good choice, not too "thick" when cold, and seems to be more stable on higher temps?

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Oil is the lifeblood of the car. I used to change my oil in my R33 before and after a Track day, a bit obsessive some might say, but would rather spend a £100 on oil than £15k on an engine rebuild !

Ask a reputable "tuner" what they recommend, and yes it does matter how you use the car, temperature of the weather outside, if the car is used daily or kept and only used a s Sunday drive, Track use etc. etc. etc.
good advice here from steve, we used motul before and change after every event..

Certainly worth using good oil and changing as soon as its black (certainly recommend this on big builds)..

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
Been really happy with Motul 5W-50 and it doesn't use any between services generally (6K or 6 months for me)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts