GTR Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, quick question if you order your car prior to the VAT returning to 17.5% but the car arrives during the return to 17.5% rate do you pay VAT at 15% which was the rate at which you ordered or do you pay the current VAT rate on delivery (17.5%) ?

cheers in advance

·
Registered
3,803 Posts
I'd say that it's the rate when you pay, i.e. 20% if you wait (or do you think it'll go back to 17.5%...).

If you paid up front then I reckon you'd pay 15%.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thats what I thought i.e. the rate when ordered but for some reason I have a feeling I'm going to get stung with the 2.5% inc back to 17.5% in Jan...
Not sure

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I was told it was at the applicable rate @ the time the deal is concluded? When I ordered the VAT was 17.5% but on delivery & handover it will be 15% Not sure you can pay the whole amount without receiving the goods?

Dave.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
could be worth knowing for definate as another 2.5% on a black edition is near on £1500 more.... I'll try and find out from WLMG and post it up, problem is I cancelled my car due to business investment issues and need to reorder however in both cases the car wouldn't have been delivered until atleast 2010. Theres no way I'm not going to reorder but would like to know the price I'll pay

·
Registered
872 Posts
My April delivered car was charged at 15%.

IMHO you might hear some good news before Jan. Although Darling has said it will go back up to 17.5% on 1st Jan, it wouldn't surprise if Brown didnt step up during December and say he's "taken notice of the feedback from the CBI, blah, blah, blah ..." and decided to delay it. After all 2010 is an election year!

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
VAT is paid on handover of goods.

Makes no difference when you ordered as the VAT is paid to HMRC when the goods are exchanged.

So if you're car arrives 2010, the VAT rate is highly likely to be 17.5%.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys, I would be nice to save a bit on VAT so I'll keep my fingers crossed for an extension on 15% VAT Cheers

·
Registered
183 Posts
I spoke with my HPC - mine is due Dec 2009/Jan 2010 which means car will be built in 2009 and in transit towards end of year...worse case, I will pay for the car in Dec 2009 even if delivery is in Jan 2010 - I am told VAT would be at 15%.

Prashan

·
Registered
723 Posts
Guys, how much exactly is the VAT in Germany? 19 or 18%?
Thanx

·
Premium Member
7,635 Posts
19%

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Prashan, rang Nissan and my car is due June/july 2010 so I'll def pay atleast 17.5%, good idea though for yourself to pay in Dec...I'd do the sam but 6-7 months is a bit too far ahead:wavey:

·
Registered
157 Posts
VAT is paid on handover of goods.

Makes no difference when you ordered as the VAT is paid to HMRC when the goods are exchanged.

So if you're car arrives 2010, the VAT rate is highly likely to be 17.5%.
Slightly incorrect. :D

The VAT happens at the point of invoice, not the time of 'exchange of goods or services'. Thus, theoretically, if invoiced advance (whilst the rate is still low), VAT will be at the correct rate at that particular time.

However... In all likelihood, the HPC won't want to gain the extra VAT liability (unless you paid them at least the VAT portion of the sale on receipt of said invoice!)

Although I am sure the goverment will create a rule to stop this happening (if they haven't already!)

...Mad

1 - 15 of 15 Posts