GTR Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Done a search and can't find the exact answer I need, so here goes ....

I was in at The Garage today (thanks guys for good job) and I got a close up look at the rears of my alloys and found out that they are 17 x 10J, 22 offset. The sizes were stamped on the rear of the hub bit.

Now the question I have is what size of tyre should I have on 17 x 10J alloys. Now obviously they should be 17's :) but what width ?

The reason I ask is that I think I've got too narrow tyres "stretched" on them just now. They are 255/40's, and I think they should be wider.

What would the best bet be for these alloys (on a R33 GTR by the way).

Thanks for any answers ....

Ian

·
Registered
162 Posts
I'd have thought 255 is fine, but 265 or even 275 would be better?

Nice 33 btw. Good to see it in a rare colour. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As usual great answers, thanks folks for the replies :wavey:

".... According to tyre charts, you can go from 255-285 on a 10" wheel ...."

Alex, are these tyre charts available on the WEB ? I did a google and found nothing that could help.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
I looked through the Demon Tweeks motorsport catalogue at the tyres, it tells you what size wheels the different width tyres are suitable for, 255 is suitable for 8-10" wheels, 285 is suitable for 9.5-10.5" wheels, I'd think these are whats quoted by the tyre manufacturers, (in this case Yokohama), so are reliable.

I'll confirm tomorrow when I can look in the Toyo brochure.

Alex B

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doh :rolleyes: I've just tweeked my search in google and got a whole bunch of hits, including the Falken web site that has a tyre size chart.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You can go to tirerack.com to get the specific info for the tire you are running. Just navigate to the page for your specific tire, then select the "specs" option to get a chart with all the details. For example, my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 in 265/35R18 should go on a rim of 9 - 10.5".

·
Registered
26,315 Posts
Don't also forget to consider the driveability. I used to run 285s on my R33 and now run 275s as it seems to suit the car a lot better. If you let me know what sizes you want I can get a price for Advan and Yokohama delivered overnight.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Don't also forget to consider the driveability. I used to run 285s on my R33 and now run 275s as it seems to suit the car a lot better. If you let me know what sizes you want I can get a price for Advan and Yokohama delivered overnight.
What was the difference from 285 to 275?

I was considering either

275/35/18
285/35/18

285 being slightly more thicker. What size were you using Fuggles?

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I would go with 275's...got 265's on my 10's and wish I would have gone the size up! Just a little too much rim showing. I like the tire and rim to about match!

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
go for 275, I am using 275/35 on my 18X10 and they sit just right.
The rim and tire match up just fine.

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
HELP .... confused !

Hi Folks again,

Thanks for the info so far, but now I'm having a battle with some garages on fitting new tyres, even if I bought them from the WEB. Nothing to do with them actually fitting them as they were purchased elsewhere, it's that they do not agree with the size of wheel on the car and I've had one garage refusing to fit tyres as they believe I have the wrong size of wheel on the car (they must have some sort of "bible" they are looking up). :confused:

So .... I have 17 x 10J offset 22 alloys all round on my R33 GTR, currently sporting 255/40/17 all round. According to the garages, the front alloys should be 9 or 9.5, but not 10's. So the concensus that the garages are coming to is that if I insist on keeping the same alloys they would only agree to fit the following on to my car:

255/40/17 on the front and 265/40/17 or 275/40/17 on the rear and if I came in with other sizes they would refuse to fit them for me.

HELP, I'm at my wits end here, it's the first time I've had to do this and I am really getting a bit peeved at the garages.

With the alloys that I have, is 265's all round an issue, or should I go with the 255's on the front and 275's on the rear, or even stick with the 255's all round that I have at the moment ????????????:confused:

·
Premium Member
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Done some research (what a great site this is :) ), and for a R33 GTR the wheels should be the same size all around.

So to heck with all these stupid garage folks, the question now is 255/40 or 265/40 on a 10" rim with 22 offset ?

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
I got this when ordering my new tyres for my CE's.

When i told them i wanted four 275/30/19 they were like your never going to fit those on the front. I was like "oh yes, its been done before"!!!

I told them that the GTR needed to have the same size tyre all round, and that they would fit. So in the end they ordered them for me, and fitted no problems. And how gutted were they when they didn't see no issues with the fitment!!

BTW i'm running 275/30/19 on a 19x9.5J rim

·
Registered
95 Posts
what stupid garages!!!

in regards to tire width... a stretched tire will give a more direct feel to the road, but you will lose grip if too stretched, which it sounds like it is at the mo

on the flip side, too wide a tire will feel wallowy and unconrtollable..

as alex has said, different tires are slighyly different widths.

on a gtr with 10's id run 275 all round :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts