GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,
I am very new to the skyline world. All I know is that i want one. From what I have learned the R32 is faster than the R33. I think that the R33 looks much better than the R32. I am torn between these two cars. I know that they are both fast and can both be moded to be even faster. What I want to know is what car is better to have. A R32 or R33. Which ever one I in up getting I'm going to put a bidy kit on and do some engine mods. From pictures that I have seen the R33 looks way better than the R32 with kits on them. Would I be wrong for going for the R33 because of looks and sacrificing speed. I really need help with this situation. I am a Marine and I will be going to Okinawa, Japan and I am planning on getting a used skyline while I am there and importing it back to California with me. What model should I try to get R32 GTR or R33 GTR. I thank you for your advice. I just want a skyline but I don't know what to go for looks or speed. Can't I have both. People don't have them here. Thats why I want one. But I want to be able to back up the shit that I'm gonna be talking:D
Thanks

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
It really is up to you. Drive them, find out what you want, not what other people like. Its a personal thing. I will be in the market for a R33. I like the way it looks.

What do know about importing them back to the states?

Why do you have to talk smack? Just enjoy your car and treat it with respect, not some machine that is made to stroke your ego. I am not trying to start anything with you, but a car in the wrong hands can kill someone. Maybe not you, but someone else.

I do wish you the best of luck in Japan. There will be a lot of guys there that will be able to help you out when you get there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was jsut joking about talking smack. I don't do that. I just wanted to know if it was better to get an R33 or R32. I love the way the R33 looks but it is so much heavier that the R32. I guess I should just wait until I get there and talk to the people. Japanese people would know more aobut skylines and what to get and do with them than any other person.
Thanks anyway

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
The difference in performance of the moderately tuned R33 & R32 are so negligable I'd go for the one you like the most.

The 32 is more suited to drag racing but only when it is really hard tuned to you see glaring differences between them.
but then if you look at the HKS drag R33 then you wouldn't want to line up next to that in a jet car !!

Each test trip Nissan did a the Nurburgring saw a faster car with successive models. the 32 the 33 then the 34 all beat the previous laptimes.

if you want top speed then the 33 had a lower Cd then the 32 so for the same power should have a higher top speed.

If you really need a 200mph + car then the 33 is for you.

They both have pretty much the same parts under their skin so go with what you like.....

Have fun
/Steve

·
Registered
547 Posts
R32 Vs R33

The R33 is just 50kg more than the R32 (just over 100Lbs).

The R33 V.spec is 60kg more than the standard R32 and 40Kg more than the R32 Vspec.

The specs of all the cars are at this site right here too.

www.gtr.co.uk .... check out Technical .. there's a fair bit on the R33 as I wrote it when it first came out and I had an R32 before ...

Cheers

·
Registered
155 Posts
R33 is the best

if money is no probs then get the R33 why??
well r32 are to old now and they do not look as good as the rest
r33 look good and nice space at back r34 bit small but dash look better
so i go for the r33 cause good price can pick one up for 15k now while r34 still 28k+
r33 look lot better than r32

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks a lot for the info guys. I really appreciate your insite on the matter. Thank you. oh yeah, SteveC. You can get an R33 up 200 mph? Is that true. I thought that skylines had a top speed of like 155 or something. What is needed to make them go that FAST. Must be a lot of mods.
thanks

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
What is needed to make GTR go 200 mph? Simple, you just need a tons of power. GTR have pretty bad aerodynamics, so it requires a lot of power to go high speed.

I talked to the guy from Blitz, Japan. Their R34 GTR was doing 214 mph in sixth gear at 8200 rpm, that was done with the factory gear box. So the stock gearing is enough to go well over 200+ mph. That car had 850 HP at the wheel.

My question is, why would anyone ever needs to go that fast on the public road? You can't even go that fast on most race track :rolleyes: Just my opinion.

Jeff

·
Registered
905 Posts
Its just personal choice mate, I prefer the R32 than the 33 and 34, dunno why just think they are, personal choice, but if the right 33 or 34 was going i'de have one!!!!!

Don't think the CHP would like you doing 200mph down the 5 freeway would they??? Would be fun to see them try and catch you though..:p

Si

·
Registered
6 Posts
personally I much prefer the R32. I think with the right kit they look much sleeker and classier than the 33.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Legal Issues...

NightRida, I don't know if this is true, but the garage I bought my Skyline (R33) from said they were banned in the States. This was of interest to me cos I'm emigrating there next year. He may have meant the R33 only I don't know - I didn't notice any in the Fast and the Furious....

Not sure if it's something to do with power to weight or emmissions. My Peugeot 1.6i 205 GTI is also banned there!

I think you should check with an official body to make sure the R33 will be road legal in the US.

Andrew

:smokin:

·
Registered
239 Posts
Hi

Methinks it's the emissions that cause problems in the States.

Also, the R33 in the Fast and the Furious was a Silvia in fancy dress!!

Caroline

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Hi guys,

All of the GTR is street legal here in the U.S. R32, R33 and R34 GTR, even the classic PGC10, KPGC10 and KPGC110 are street legal here.

A private import company name "Motorex" can certify any model of the 3 generation of the Skyline for you (R32, R33 and R34). And for the old classic one, in the U.S. here, there is no law against vehicle that are older then 25 years old.

The R33 in the Fast and the ferious is an actual real R33 GTR.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Yep i am sure its a REAL R33 GTR too... Aparently it owned by one of the guys standing behind Vin Diesel when he says "Ask any racer, any real racer.. etc.."

·
Registered
905 Posts
Well according to the Max Power Vido Mag (er Borrowed it I assure you all) the yellow R33 was a Sylvia in Disguise, and even on that it looked like a real skyline, I dunno Big confusion here now, and me missis feels a dork..... ahhhh well a???

The truth must be out there somewhere, or is it all a conspiracy????

:p

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
R33 in Fast & Furious

It is definitely a real R33, Max Power don't know a damn thing!

I recall it being nicknamed Yellow Bird and I think it is owned by one of the employees or friends of Motorex (Sean the Owner of Motorex posts here occasionally).

There will be much more Skyline action in Fast & Furious 2, which is being prepared/filmed as we speak.

They made 5 or 6 identical Supras for F&F, several of which were smashed to pieces. There were not enough GTRs available for them to use a GTR for serious action in F&F 1.

Guy

1 - 20 of 31 Posts