GTR Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just recently acquired a Skyline.

What sort of sound system upgarde have you guys carried out.

And am I correct in saying that there are 6 1/2" speakers up front??

Also what sort of speakers have you got on the rear shelf?? And are any of you running amps? If so where did you mount them.

Thanking you in advance and any pics would be great.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
some of the sound system from my old Vectra will be working its wayinto my skyline over the weekend...
Sony MDX8500 Minidisc Head unit, (3 sets of pre-outs) going back to a Pheonix Gold 4 chanel amp for a pair of infinity 6x9's, to be mounted in the rear shelf and the front speakers, and a Kenwood 400watt bridged amp running a single 12" infinity Kappa

Amps will be mounted in the boot on a wall, with a new custom fitted box for the sub...

there is more, but, I dont want the Skyline to be too over the top... :) (another amp and another 12" LTD sub)

What are you hoping to put in your car??

·
Registered
992 Posts
Matt,
Did you have any problems picking up your Skyline from Southampton?, who were your shipping agent?.

PaulP.

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well mines already come with Infinity Kappa Components (I think; green cones).

On the rear someone has put some Sony 6 1/2" normal coaxial speakers.

I have an Alpine monitor, tv tuner, DVD changer, Lanzar 600W four channel amp and some Lanzar 6X9's which is all probably going to find its way into the skyline!!!

Just let me know how you get along with putting the 6X9's on the rear shelf. I was thinking of making a MDF shelf template mounting it on top and covering it with acousti carpet so its stealth.

And as it looks like your an Infinity fan, are the green coned components good??? I think they're a bit old though. It's just that the tweeters are flush mounted from the factory which look excellent, and I don't want to disrupt this.

Also let me know how you get along with the amp mounting. Where is it roughly going to be mounted???

I'm putting my monitor, with the dvd changer and tv tuner over this weekend, and later will do the 6x9's and amp.

Please let me know how you get along.

Thanking you in advance

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Technically I didnt have any probles picking iut up... I used Anglia Forwarding (VERY VERY helpful) but the car didnt start when I went down there... so its sitting in thier carpark! the thing is now being transported home tomorrow...
I think there is a problem with the fuel pump or fuel disribution system... dont think its too bad... :)

I wouldnt hesitate to recomend Yuw Autotrade, or Anglia Forwarding... The guys at Yuw lent me a car and two people to move the car after it was taken out of customs and Anglia made an un scheduled trip to pay customs for my duty, then lent me a parkingspace while I arranged for my car to be moved...

The story will continue tomorrow, when it should be parked outside my house when I get home from work.. :) I feel an afternoon bunked off coming on!!!!

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you still reckon you'll have time to do your system???!!!!:)

·
Registered
992 Posts
Matt,
I to used Anglia forwarding and found them very good. Its a shame about the car not starting, Did they have to drive the car to the car park or push it?. How did you manage to arrange the transport home?.

PaulP.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Plenty time to do the install... :) Fri night to install the headunit, phonos, speaker wires, power, and my RSM-GP, Sat for the main speakers and mounting the amps, Sun + monday, taking the speedboats over to a party :) monday, getting the boats back! tuesday to build the sub enclosure... oh... and i gotta fanny about trying to make the car run too!!!! :D

·
Registered
4,145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well I'll be on here over the w/end anyway so let me know how you get on.

So how are you thinking of mounting the 6x9's on the rear shelf???

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Paul, the car was driven onto the boat... but towed off!!!
I had alread looked at having the car transported before i drove down to fetch it, but a friend of a friend runs a transportation company, and hes collecting it from southampton and delivering it to my door in Essex (200 miles) for £140 cash... :)

R33, not sure yet... from the quick look I had... looks like a job for the rotozip to make the holes bigenough and some soundproofing to make a snug fit... the OEM grills should be largenough to cover my damage, and i will only be enlarging the holes a little so shouldnt compromise the rigidity of that panel...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts