GTR Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I am new to the forum and recently bought a 1991 GTR. I have been looking into a 2.8 Tomei Stroker kit and I am having a hard time with support mod info. By support I mean Oil system fuel system etc. After the purchase of the
2.8 I will be a little strapped on quid. So what are the critical mods??

Thanks
John

p.s My suspension is close to complete.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Any advice is relative to what budget you have, as with all thing in life!

Buying a 2.8 is great, but what do you want from the car performance wise?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking for a solid track car that can be driven on the street. To be honest it will not get a ton of use on the street. The budget is not really important as I will do what is needed. I would like to not waste money on extraneous mods.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
fubawu said:
The budget is not really important as I will do what is needed
You could easily sink £100,000+ on a gtr so Im pretty sure the budget would come into it.

If you suggest what power your after this gives a good idea about what is needed. I would guess as its a track car you wont be looking for more than 650 bhp - which begs the question - why do you want a stroker kit?

if 600 / 650 is what your after then for track work I would think the following:

uprated oil pump
oil cooler
decent oil temp gauge
sump baffles
sump extension

700cc injectors (should be able to get away with standard fuel rail)
uprated fuel pump
possibly an uprated fuel pressure regulator

uprated intercooler - poss a hard pipe kit - this apparently gives good response
uprated radiator

from a support mods point of view this is most of it I think. There are quite a few people on here that mostly use their gtrs for track / drag work so will have a good level of knowledge on this sort of thing.

If you do go for the stroker kit - then apparently GT RS turbos work very well with this. Not sure of this would be over turbo'd for your needs though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thanks for the info, I have the ic taken care of. The exhaust is fully done as well. Would a N1 oil pump be ok? I was also thinking of going to 700cc Sard injectors along with a Sard fuel pump. The car has an oil cooler and N1 turbos. I am looking for 550-600 hp but I really want the low end torque offered by the 2.8. The idea of bigger power down the road is nice too ;)
John

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
You be needing cams - around 9.5 lift 260ish.
N1 oil pump would be OK but hks, trust, jun, reimax, nismo or tomei are better.

Personally I wouldn't bother with the stroker - I'd rather spend the money on brakes, suspension (bushes and anti-roll bars as well as dampers), diffs and gearbox (close ratio) for a trackable road car.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is a list of the current mods with a pic

Engine
Tomei headgasket 1.2mm
Timing belt O.E.M
Trust FMIC
Trust Aluminum piping
Trust airfilters
Trust oil coolers
Nismo Fuel pres. regulator
Oil catch tank
Grounding kit

Others>> twin plate clutch (OS Giken)
Apexi R95 Catback exhaust
Apexi GT spec F pipe
Apexi cataliyzer
F win radiator
Samco silicone hoses
Split fire ignitors

Suspension
Engine torque damper
Apexi N1 coil overs
Apexi front/rear strut bar
Nismo underbody bracing kit
CMR front/ rear stabalizer bars
Nismo FRONT
upper links
upper brackets
lower arms
tension rods

Nismo REAR
lower arms
bushing collars
member collars

Brakes
Endless 6 pot braking kit
R34 N1 brembo brake kit (330mm)

·
Premium Member
3,777 Posts
Aha - seen this car on Carsensor. Top choice!

I think you'll probably find it's plenty quick as it is. Judging by the way the rest of the car is specced I'd be very surprised if the the motor wasn't a lot less standard than the basic translation list may suggest.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, I have been in talks with Zenitani and Tomei as we are trying to figure
out what is needed. The internals are stock for the most part. So instead of replacing pistons cams etc. My thought was to go with a 2.8 kit.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
If you are doing serious track days you will need to address the oil breathers, the engines pump a LOAD of oil into the cam boxes, for various reasons, eventually either blowing it into the intake or leaving so little in the (small) sump that the G forces uncover the pickup and you run a bearing. It needs serious work to make work properly on a decent track car, driven hard. I have (eventuall) sussed it out on a GTS-t RB25 engine, and intend to do similar mods to my new, and much more expensive and precious all steel RB26 engine, in build. The mods are neither trivial nor particularly cheap, but, IMO, essential.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok I am getting a feel on what is needed. could anyone simplify the build up
in terms of parts.
What I have so far

N1 oil pump
N1 Water pump
700 cc injectors
N1 turbos(want more but have to wait)
Oil baffle plate
Sard fuel pump
Hi lift cams and sprockets
2.8 Tomei kit
HKS F-con ecu
Valve springs
Nismo Gasket kit
Tomei Timing belt

·
Registered
662 Posts
Chris Wilson said:
Agreed, pretty useless except on mechanical fuel injection with iffy Lucas pumps where they need all the mothering they can get.

just if the car is a track car and not used every day month etc

b4 you went out on the track a quick glance to check fuel pressure is normal (the pump hasnt deteriorated with being stood) would be usefull

maybe a knock sensor would be asgood what would you recommend??

or do you go with blind luck that everythings hunkydory

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
I would never consider a fuel pressure gauge, nor a knock sensor, once the things mapped I'd expect no knock, and knock sensor readout to a dis[lay is notoriously unreliable. Stock ecus only "look" for knock in a very narrow band, under quite tight parameters, there is so much engine noise that at high RPMs it's almost impossible to distinguish it. In manufactire they look for knock with pressure sensors in the head or plugs, and when they see an area where poor fuel might give knock they tune the stock ecu and sensor9s) to listen for deliberatelycreated knock. Change any parameters at all, virtually, and the readings become meaningless.

I run very few instruments in a road based track car. Oil pressure and temp, O2 sensor for a while, water temp, rev counter. That's it. I could live without a rev counter once the gear ratios are set up, assuming one can change them.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts