GTR Forum banner

What the hell happened here then?

4K views 31 replies 17 participants last post by  UKPAISLEY 
#1 ·

After watching this video i am somewhat disturbed, dumbfounded and ultimately sad after seeing the result. Now i get that the 911 turbo S in insanely fast but i genuinely thought a 700bhp GT-R would at the very least be neck and neck with it if not beat it. The launch of the GT-R looks downright embarrasing compared to the Porsche. Anybody got any thoughts on what exactly can explain this massive disparity? And i was thinking with my stage 5.5 at 780bhp i would whoop a turbo S with room to spare but now i am not so sure. Do we GT-R owners really need to be approaching the 900bhp mark with over 700lbs ft before we truly slay cars of this ilk?

#9 ·
That really doesnt make alot of sense as there was a track gtr with 630hp that beat a modified porsche with 760hp off the line on carwow. The porsche then set its tyre pressures as were out and the porsche then got away,but not by the distance of the stock porsche. Is that Gtr really running 700hp. Infact theres a couple on Carwow with the same track addition Gtr and thats ony 630hp

#12 ·
This Video is Litchfields Track Edt (631bhp) vs same year Turbo S and a 2018 M5.
The result is much closer 🤷‍♂️

That certainly seems more realistic.
I think if I was the owner of that 700hp 35 I would be taking it to a dyno to get the figures checked as the gap was huge between the 911

#13 ·
I have always taken these with a pinch of salt ever since my friends car was used in a well know magazine. Where they basically put a Highly Jabba modified Skoda against a standard Golf GTI, run a load of test comparisons and the Skoda lost out. Turns out the Golf was not as standard as they made out, so was always biased against the Skoda.....

#14 ·
True, there's always an element of doubt over what modifications the car has, and the driver input/effort.

I reckon there's more than a few R35's out there that have been tuned and can't launch well (get bogged down) or aren't that well tuned in the first placed.

Way too many of videos like this where the R35's aren't quick off the line. At the risk of getting flamed for saying this, some of the newer ones are seemingly struggling to do a quarter mile in the low 11s in stock trim. With times like that - and the current performance of other cars getting better all the time - there's little wonder we are seeing videos of more and more R35's getting "beat" in drag races. If we went by Nissan's figures the newer models should easily hold their own up to 60+ so why are so many simply not even doing that?? Hmm :unsure:

#15 ·
Pushing the button allowed the porker to over boost? By how much? How much power was it putting down for those 20 seconds?

Anyway, it's just another fast Porsche to me. I prefer my cars to have presence or a reason. If you think you get prestige or more something by driving anotger car, and that's important to you, get one...

Me, I love opening the bonnet and seeing - hand built by Japanese master craftsman, Ooyama... That means something to me, it was some dudes job to build my engine! I give him a secret bow everytime I get in my car... I need to get out more :)

That and the sheer joy of driving Godzilla; its such a competent car!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I've watched a few of the 888MF videos now and, unsuprisingly as he's a Porsche fan, the Porsche's always win. However, he never posts the times - easy enough to do, could use a simple App if needs be, and loads of comments to his videos ask for them - and my personal favourite of his vids is this 6 car battle: . Guess, what, the McLaren wins its "heat" but yet doesn't make the final. Why is that do you think? Porsche wins in its absence.....I rest my case ;)

#24 ·
Listening to the engine note it does sound as if the GTR is short shifting and not really giving the full beans? No doubt the Porker is quick but I'd be taking my car back to the tuner if I got beat that bad from a standard one......This is of course making the assumption the Porker is also standard.

#29 ·
Needs launching properly, though. Been watching way too many videos lately where supposed 4.25 GT-R's are so slow off the line. Even tuned, if you can't get this right then you have no chance up against decent competition. 4 second 0-60's and 11.2 sec quarter miles not good times for 650hp cars - not nowadays with the quality of what else is out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.